Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Storyfags only] Best Walking Sims ?

Silva

Arcane
What are the best walking sims out there? I've played a handful that I liked and want to know if I missed some good ones.

I REALLY liked:

- Soma
- What Remains of Edith Finch.

I've found decent/Ok:

- Hellblade
- Observer
- The Council

I found booooring:

- Life is Strange
- Everybody Gone to the Rapture
- The Last of Us

Which ones I've missed ? How is Night in the Woods, Stanley Parable, Talos Principle, etc?

Beowulf

Arcane
Stanley Parable is extremely short but kind of amusing.

Talos Principle is a puzzle game. Quite good.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was okayish as far as walking sims go.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stanley Parable is funny, just don't go in with expectations of a "subversive masterpiece of video game deconstruction" or whatever it was the journos excreted when the remake came out. Well worth a shot IMO. Talos Principle isn't a walking sim but a puzzle game in the vein of Portal. It didn't grab me, but a lot of people here seem to like it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Which ones I've missed ? How is Night in the Woods, Stanley Parable, Talos Principle, etc?
Stanley parable is a sequence of jokes. I guess it's ok if that's what you are looking for.

Talos principle is a puzzle game, with some pretty strong puzzles (if a bit on the generic side). It does have a lot of philosophical musings along the way. Highly recommended.

Outer Wilds may fit your definition of walking sim, but the focus is more on exploration than being told a story. It's really good though.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate walking games but I get why others like them. But trust me, don't buy that shitty Firewatch game, what a rip.

Martyr

Arcane
here's my take on some of the most notable games I've played:

- Gray Dawn
a christian-themed psychological horror game. set in a slav country in the early 20th century. you play a priest who has to cope with the things he's done, including exorcisms. HIGHLY recommended. great atmosphere, great visuals. in the ~3 hours it took me to play through this game I've taken close to 300 screenshots.
- Dear Esther
I know a lot of people don't like this game, but I personally love it because of the setting - what's not to love about wandering along a stormy coastline? - and because it's short and also a
ghost story
- Mind: Path to Thalamus
would be a good game, but some of the puzzles can be annoying, especially in the non-DC version. also the "boss fight" was the first and only time I've ever experienced motion sickness. cool story and visuals though.
- Layer's of Fear
somewhat cool, somewhat boring. worth a playthrough imo, but haven't felt the need to replay.
- Night in the Woods
a furfag's choice of protagonists. main character doesn't want to grow up, is mentally stuck in her teenage mindset. ending reminded me of Hot Fuzz. oh, also queer characters. if you want a game that's quite similar, but with people instead of animals and no gay characters, then I recommend Rainswept.
- The Suicide of Rachel Foster
I was intrigued by the setting, which reminded me of The Shining. but alas, I didn't like the game at all. highly unlikeable main character, Firewatch-like communication with a sissy through walkie-talkie/mobile phone. the gameplay is also somewhat tedious, I kept getting lost in the hotel. did not finish.
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
cool setting, cool ending, more puzzles than the average walking sim. also cool soundtrack and pretty visuals. should be played once by those who are interested in walking sims.
- Virginia, Stanley Parable, Beginner's Guide
Virginia tries to be Lynchian and fails, Stanley Parable and Beginner's Guide try to be sooooo intelligent but fail and are annoying instead. I hate these 3.
- Kentucky Route Zero
lots and lots of text without any meaning. this game is just being strange for the sake of being strange. very, very pretentious. I didn't like most of the scenes and settings. the ending was also too abrupt. years and years of waiting and the last episode can be finished in less than an hour?? oh my.

Firewatch was okay-ish, I liked the setting but didn't like the story nor characters that much. Draugen also had a cool setting, had some cool twists but was overall a bit boring. ZED tries to be an emotional game but fails, still somewhat enjoyable. I loved Gone Home as long as I thought that it would be a haunted house story, but by now we all know the way the story unfolds...
Blackwood Crossing is somewhat cool. surreal story about a brother and sister, tries to be emotional. Through the Woods has a cool setting inspired by norse mythology. Gorogoa is fucking awesome but not really a walking sim, but a pure puzzle game without any words but with a very nice story.

Ivan

Arcane
Kentucky Route Zero -kafkaesque, Americana, John Steinbeck, Luis Bunuel, surreal. Like dude above said, less focus on meaning, more on feeling.

What Remains of Edith Finch - Like an interactive magical realist storybook

Gone Home - one of the first of the genre, I really like how it doesn't hold your hand, and the super grounded/"normal" setting

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Augur
- Mind: Path to Thalamus
would be a good game, but some of the puzzles can be annoying, especially in the non-DC version. also the "boss fight" was the first and only time I've ever experienced motion sickness. cool story and visuals though.
I wouldn't consider Mind: Path to Thalamus a walking simulator but a full flegdged puzzle game.

Sure, at the beginning the game might give this impression: On one hand, due to the very long prologue, where you are in fact only walking through the different landscapes, on the other hand, because the story about being in a koma and the character speaking with himself in inner monologues also resembles the typical WS trope.

But after the first introductory puzzles, they get progressively harder with each level.
You probably wouldn't get stumped by theses puzzles for weeks or days, but you wouldn't run through them either and you have to think about the solutions. The later ones might occupy you for quite a while.

And as you said, there is even kind of a boss fight near the end - which also exclude this game from mere walking sims.

Deleted member 7219

The Last of Us isn't a walking simulator.

Dear Esther has great visual design, great atmosphere and a great soundtrack. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter similarly has a great atmosphere and soundtrack (I still listen to it regularly). I liked Gone Home until I got to the end and thought, "Is that it?". I thought it was going to end in some terrible tragedy or become a horror game or something, that was just the vibe I got, coming across a hastily abandoned house, but there was no pay off at all. I played What Remains of Edith Finch after and got exactly the same feeling. Everybody's Gone to Rapture pissed me off so much because it literally had nothing for you to do except walk around and I had got fed up of the genre by that point.

I'd recommend Dear Esther and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter but that's it, and I have no interest in playing any more games like these.

I liked Soma but don't really consider it a walking simulator. It's basically a simplified adventure game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tacoma's good shit. I'd put it in similar terms as Soma, though without the stupid monster parts that get in the way of the walking, and a few more really minor "Puzzles". Soma and Tacoma both made me a lot more receptive to walking sims at large.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
>>Make thread about walking simulators
>>At least half the shit on the list aren't even walking simulators.

SCUBA
SOMA isn't a walking sim, it's a survival horror with plenty of puzzles.

The Last of Us, is a 3rd person shooter.

Talos Principle is 100% a first person puzzle game. And it's bretty good, actually has a plot.

Life is Strange is a fucking POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE.

Walking sims would be Everybody's gone to the Rapture, or Dear Esther.

Neuromancer

Augur
The Council isn't a walking simulator, either.

Hard to place the game into a specific category, but it has puzzles (mostly easy ones, but they are there!), interactions, dialogue trees, choices, different scenarios depending on choices, skill system etc.

All these don't exist in a walking simulator.

Star Citizen

Learned
Nah, it seems SOMA is the best this genre had to offer. Amnesia was aight, as was that shitty new Cthulhu walking sim. But in honesty if you dug any of that shit you should play that Resident Evil 7 shit. Makes use of modern tropes sure but it is actually legit an entertainingly decent experience. Cheap thrills and high production and the 'gameplay' being the most trivial, low IQ shit you could imagine.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
B2UT634.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I tried to like Walking Sims. They are all shit. The only genuinely good one is Stanley Parable. One of the guys that made it also made The Beginner's Guide, which is OK sorta but only because it's over super quick and it doesn't even pretend to be a videogame.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried to like Walking Sims. They are all shit. The only genuinely good one is Stanley Parable. One of the guys that made it also made The Beginner's Guide, which is OK sorta but only because it's over super quick and it doesn't even pretend to be a videogame.
What Remains of Edith Finch has some (very) good moments, and Gris has good art if you can stomach the gay vibe (I guess you could consider that a platformer, but that's almost like saying that Super Mario 64 is an RPG). Didn't really enjoy any other walking sim I tried over the years.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Isn't there already a thread for this?

SOMA, Ethan Carter, Night in The Woods are all great. Gayness notwithstanding, Firewatch and Gone Home do some cool stuff with storytelling (the dialogue system in Firewatch and the environmental storytelling in GH).

Neuromancer

Augur
Isn't there already a thread for this?

SOMA, Ethan Carter, Night in The Woods are all great. Gayness notwithstanding, Firewatch and Gone Home do some cool stuff with storytelling (the dialogue system in Firewatch and the environmental storytelling in GH).
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom