Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gyor

Savant
Someone datamined BG3 and found the following race tags in the game.

HUMAN, GITHYANKI, DRAGONBORN, HALFORC, TIEFLING, MEPHISTOPHELESTIEFLING, ASMODEUSTIEFLING, ZARIELTIEFLING, ELF, DROWELF, SELDARINEDROWELF, LOLTHDROWELF, HIGHELF, WOODELF, HALFELF, DROWHALFELF, HALFLING, LIGHTFOOTHALFLING, STOUTHALFLING, GNOME, ROCKGNOME, DEEPGNOME, FORESTGNOME, HILLDWARF, MOUNTAINDWARF, DUERGARDWARF, AARAKOCRA, KENKU, LIZARDFOLK, TABAXI, TORTLE, FIRBOLG, AASIMAR, GENASI, TRITON, WARFORGED, YUANTIPUREBLOOD . Surprisingly not Goblin or Gnoll although NPCs of both races are in the game

Some of those definitely won't be playable like Triton, why should Larian add them in a game where you can't swim. AArakocra: level 1 flying is OP as hell and probably game-breaking. Also writing unique dialogue options for every single one of them sounds insane. Though I would really like Yuan-Ti purebloods to be playable since I played one in PNP.

You can have crow at level one with fly power, I suspect Aakocra will work like the Crow does.

The one that really shocked me was WARFORGED, its an Eberron race, and the fact that the race tag is in suggests that we might be visiting Lantan in say act three or the Gondites in Baldur's Gate maybe learned how to build them.

Black

Arcane
Aight, this is much better.
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/19?tab=description

• Fighting Style is available for Fighters at level 1 (from level 2)
  • Firebolt deals 1d10 (from 1d6) but does not create a fire surface (it still interacts with surfaces below the target)
  • Ray of Frost does not create an ice surface (it still interacts with surfaces below the target)
  • Jump, Hide and Shove are all actions (from bonus actions)
  • Introduced Disengage as an action to all characters (without Jump tied to it) - TESTING
  • Cunning Action (Rogue level 2) now gives Hide and Disengage (besides Dash) as bonus actions as well

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I wonder if they could implement a fly spell? Not sure what it would add tot he gameplay though. I guess it'd be pretty funny to hover your wizard above ground-only enemies and cantrip them all to death though...

If they change jump from bonus action to full action, fly would make sense as it would allow vertical movement while still retaining actions.

And yeah, hovering over ground-based opponents would be ace. Also flyby charges for melee-oriented characters.

Robber Baron

Savant
I'm very happy the modding is already here. 35 hours in and I can't wait for a second run with 6 men party and that rebalance mod

kreight

So I've checked steam reviews for this game. One of the most popular positive ones was something like this 'I can throw children. At other children'. Comnents went like this 'Instant buy!'. This review has more than 1000 likes!

I mean jeesus. Humanity! What happened here?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So I've checked steam reviews for this game. One of the most popular positive ones was something like this 'I can throw children. At other children'. Comnents went like this 'Instant buy!'. This review has more than 1000 likes!

Fallout 3 syndrome I guess.

Varnaan

Augur

Congratulations for discovering Steam reviews I guess.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Whaddya mean what happened here? Someone found a use for children.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Whaddya mean what happened here? Someone found a use for children.
Killing children is bad, mmkay? Children are capable of working in sweat shops, so you'll be wasting a perfectly fine workforce.

I don't see how killing anyone eliminates them from the workforce.

13109.jpg

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't like how much emphasis they've placed on vertical combat.
BG3 has it, but it's not advertised as a main selling point it just kinda exists.
The way Solasta does it is a lot better than bg3. bg3 just means you get advantage/disadvantage and maybe have to walk or jump to get around an elevation. In Solasta, it is actually a unique strategy that some enemies have and it sets them apart based on their abilities. It's done much better than bg3. When verticality comes into play, it really makes you feel like your fighting on the enemies terms, in the enemies playing field. There's still an entire undead castle where vertacality doesn't come into play because undead can't climb or fly. Goblins are still goblins, and those battles will play out how you expect them to.
It's not much of a selling point though, it just seems like a gimmick.
I think it is a selling point and it's not a gimmick. Don't get it wrong, for the most part, you'll be fighting like in a regular dnd game. Vertacality just means that when a flying enemy comes into play, you'll have to think about the battle differently, and when you're attacked by spiders they can surround you and attack you form above; it adds variety to enemy strategies. This feels like a natural progression of 3d TB games, and I think from now on I'll expect it from other 3d TB games; this game probably won't be, but should be a genre defining game. Whether the game turns out to be good or not, this should be expected of other studios from now on, especially ones with 350+ employees who obviously have nothing to do so they're looking for anything to add in. Makes enemies act unique instead of mostly being an hp bar with a varrying amount of hp, ac, and potentially spell slots. It's actually really disapointing that a game with as much funding and employees as bg3 is just using its money to add mocap sex scenes and higher textures when a small studio of struggling devs is trying to bring the genre forward. I truly believe that this is a natural progression of 3d TB games and it says a lot about the current gaming industry that all the new ideas are coming from indie games and small studios.

Black

Arcane
The way Solasta does it is a lot better than bg3. bg3 just means you get advantage/disadvantage and maybe have to walk or jump to get around an elevation. In Solasta, it is actually a unique strategy that some enemies have and it sets them apart based on their abilities. It's done much better than bg3.
This guy sounds unbiased.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
This guy sounds unbiased.
larian is shit, I know they're shit, and it's so overwhelming that it will probably always find a way to leak into my comments. I can be a bit more forgiving of the shortcomings of a small studio than a huge company that decides to fuck around with beloved series. Especially when combat is the big thing I'm looking for in these types of games, and Solasta is actually bringing much-needed features into the genre. If their execution turns out to be bad, hopefully, the ideas they showcased and proved work can at least survive.

Ol' Willy, This game's vertacality is a lot more interesting and involved than standing on a crate.

bec de corbin

Educated
Yeah and you can also blow the floor out from under people and make them fall to their death. Silent Storm has the best turn-based combat of any game ever, fucking prove me wrong

Silent storm rules. Based Alexander Mushilin worked on that and Kingmaker. Also, original Xcom and a bunch of shits did it well.

And, :middle finger: everyone, D:OS2 had pretty good verticality

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Silent storm rules. Based Alexander Mushilin worked on that and Kingmaker..
Alexander Mushilin is the real hero of crpgs right now. The only reason Josh Sawyer and Swen dumbfuck get more attention is because they decide to try to force their personalities onto us in their updates. They both try to attract people easily influenced by cults while Mushilin works in the background doing his actual job, not trying to be the face of the company. They all try to be like Todd Howard; have people buy the game because they like his personality, rather than the game itself. Hype men and nothing else

Ondoval

Novice
Are you the NPC of the Original character like DOS2, or it is more like BG 1 & 2 ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom