Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Gloomhaven
Terraforming Mars
AGoT: TBG
How are the implementations for these?

Blaine mentioned the physical board game a few weeks ago, and it got me interested. I'd pull the trigger if it goes on sale.

Forgot about this. I have the physical game, and I felt like I learned the rules a lot better playing the digital version.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Old automatically equals bad
upyours.png

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Gloomhaven
Terraforming Mars
AGoT: TBG
How are the implementations for these?
GH is good, the campaign will drop in 2021 and meanwhile they have a roster + roguelike mode. TM is on the "good enough". AGoT is by DireWolf who are the best at digital versions IMO so my expectations are high.

Blaine mentioned the physical board game a few weeks ago, and it got me interested. I'd pull the trigger if it goes on sale.
It's a good but flawed game. We had a discussion about it in some other thread a couple of weeks back. The first 5 plays are awesome, and you can play with anyone. Once it's figured out it gets same-y and the expansions are trying to fix that.

Forgot about this. I have the physical game, and I felt like I learned the rules a lot better playing the digital version.
Same as with Blood Rage Digital, it fell short technically and in UX in many ways. BRD isn't playable at all, so I didn't even mention it.

Old automatically equals bad
upyours.png
They're good games, the adaptation for RftG has one of the best AIs in the industry. It's just like recommending Wasteland 1 when Underrail exists. It's good but whomever wanted to play it has done it already and are ready to move on to something else.

ROOT is on steam? Got base game and few addons, its awesome

even though you need a stable crew to play with and for first few games no one got any idea what others are doing
Which is why the digital version was much needed. I've learned to play and also doomed myself to never be able to put it on the table anymore. At least in Small World people could gang up against you and still win, and that doesn't quite work on Root.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
GH is good, the campaign will drop in 2021 and meanwhile they have a roster + roguelike mode. TM is on the "good enough". AGoT is by DireWolf who are the best at digital versions IMO so my expectations are high.
Nice. Getting people to play Scythe, with all the components, rules, and setup, is a PITA. I can't imagine trying to find the right people to play Gloomhaven; let alone shell out the money for the game. Perhaps the digital version will be sufficient.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Nice. Getting people to play Scythe, with all the components, rules, and setup, is a PITA. I can't imagine trying to find the right people to play Gloomhaven; let alone shell out the money for the game. Perhaps the digital version will be sufficient.
I've played through GH on TTS, and JotL and Guildhaven City on physical, all solo. JotL is a massive jump on QoL on components and setup, making the maps into notebooks cuts off most of the cruft and I use color-coded tokens instead of standees so setup time is minimal. Gloomhaven Helper to track combat stats and enemy AI, and some website or spreadsheet to track the campaign and character sheets. The table footprint is minimal then, I play 2 characters on 55x75cm.

TTS has heavily scripted mods to help you too, I can recommend it.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played Terraforming Mars extensively over Tabeltop Simulator with a Discord board gaming group (from which I've been inactive for quite a long while now).

It's quite good, and an engine-building game of medium-high complexity, if a tad generic... although "generic" may be doing the game a disservice. It may simply be that it's presented in a properly hard sci-fi fashion, which, in board game format, comes across as a bit dull.

Like most games of its ilk, though, there's minimal player interaction beyond other players' cards and terrain choices affecting the board. What interaction there is mainly comes in the form of attaining certain "awards" and thus VP before other players. Dominating in awards would likely win you the game, and rightly so, because only mediocre players would allow another player to grab 2-3 of them. That minimal and indirect interaction is therefore of substantial importance.

Anyway, I've never had an issue with board games that are fairly low in mechanics-enforced interactivity (chess is an example of a board game with extremely high mechanics-enforced interactivity, for those unfamiliar with this concept), because people who aren't social retards will still socialize, taunt each other, engage in table talk, etc. anyway. "Mine is bigger than yours" remains a powerful psychological motivator.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Twitchy bullethell platformer with roguelike elements that I've been following for a bit came out of early access today. It's fun, but I positively suck at it. Never quite worked out whether it's easier with a controller or keyboard+mouse.

15% off until the 28th.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

the third one came out just recently and the earlier ones are on sale... I've played all of them (currently on the third) and they are interesting especially if you like horror games or experimental stuff...

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Why haven't you guys bought the Inquisition + Andromeda bundle yet?
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15821/Inquisition__Andromeda_Bundle/
They're cheap, and that's appealing, but aren't they not worth the time investment?
They're high quality cRPGs and probably won many prestigious RPGCodex awards
Pretty sure Andromeda is utter garbage
I know jack shit about Mass Effect as a setting since I didn't care much about 1 and 2 and never played 3, but I bought Andromeda on Origin for five bucks one point on a whim and the combat's alright. Bopping around with a jetpack's kinda fun. Didn't actually finish Andromeda but I got $5 of entertainment out of X hours. Biggest complaint with Andromeda is probably your alignment options are "Bioware goofball" and "Semi-professional". Would've been way happier if the extremes were "Star Trek captain treading on eggshells" and "Space conquistador here to plunder the spacegold and spacepussies of the spacewomen" since you're supposed to be a super cool captain out in bumfuck nowhere in another galaxy.

Inquisition's actually semi-decent for what it is. Another $5 special in the past, and provided you can stop yourself from turning into a complete map-filler and mostly ignore side content, not bad. Certainly has flaws (Biggest complaint for me is not enough focus on being Jesuspope and leading your group. It comes up a little but I would've liked more emphasis on that since that's a relatively unique angle for an RPG protagonist) and it still isn't as good as Dragon Age Origins, but I actually finished Inquisition and didn't feel like it was a complete waste. $16 for both isn't the worst, just make sure you like shooter/action combat in your RPGs at all. Obviously no reason to grab them if you can't stand that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, small action-adventure from Voidspire Tactics/Horizon's Gate dev:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom