Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Caim

Arcane
Finished the first level of the DLC just now. Encounter design is solid, you start off with all the upgrades that are in the main game, platforming returns with a vengeance, music is pretty solid so far. There's also more swimming unfortunately. Unlike in the main game you don't get points for killing demons, so you don't need to comb the map to get all the combat encounter for max points. One new enemy, a turret that produces an eyeball that takes potshots at you before ducking into cover.

Rating thus far: :popamole: / :5/5:

DemonKing

Arcane
I played a bit of the first level last night and found it brutally enjoyable right up to the first jumping puzzle...

Israfael

Arcane
Got the DLC, played for 40 mins, got thoroughly raped for 30 of those (until I relented and started using something else (minigun) apart from SSG, plasma gun and rocket launcher), looking forward for more. For some strange reason, the rune/map interface did not work for me initially, but I think it either uses the runes you had in the original campaign or simply automatically activates the more useful ones (faster execute, speed boost, larger execute reach)

Caim

Arcane
Got the DLC, played for 40 mins, got thoroughly raped for 30 of those (until I relented and started using something else (minigun) apart from SSG, plasma gun and rocket launcher), looking forward for more. For some strange reason, the rune/map interface did not work for me initially, but I think it either uses the runes you had in the original campaign or simply automatically activates the more useful ones (faster execute, speed boost, larger execute reach)
The default runes for me were the first three. And yes, the DLC is a tad more difficult than the base game because it assumes you already beat the main game and continues it's difficulty curve. It might just be me but it felt that the first level alone had more Tyrants than the entire base game.

Israfael

Arcane
Well, it definitely gives some sort of Plutonia or Sigil vibes, I've seen a cyberdaemon and some other mobs getting dropped on those poor "journalists" in a tight corridor as well as other fun things that Sandy Peterson or Romero liked to do.

DemonKing

Arcane
the DLC is a tad more difficult than the base game because it assumes you already beat the main game and continues it's difficulty curve.

Agreed - the base game was definitely the tutorial for the DLC! I'm getting my butt handed to me regularly so far.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
One issue with that is that most people haven't played the game in months, so if the DLC throws you into deep water then it might be off-putting. I haven't played it though, just making a general point.

Caim

Arcane
One issue with that is that most people haven't played the game in months, so if the DLC throws you into deep water then it might be off-putting. I haven't played it though, just making a general point.
As someone who falls into this category, I'd say that these people are disgusting casuals who need to stop being shit at the game.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The first level serves as a warm-up and throws mostly old enemies in beefier formations at you. It's the second and third level that go deep on the gimmicks.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
All of the dirty tricks this expansion pulls are kinda funny, doubly so considering the unsuspecting return-players and witless journalists they're being pulled on. Like trapping you in a box with a cyberdemon, making you duel a totem-buffed marauder, and also those demon-hopping spirits.

Man, if journos were having trouble with the first level, I shudder to imagine how long the final boss of this thing took them.

Jezal_k23

They are committed to making everyone butthurt about the difficulty. I can't help but respect it on some level.

sullynathan

Arcane
Did anyone beat cultist base master level on nightmare? Never played nightmare before and haven't played the game in 7 months and there are multiple hard walls of difficulty here.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I want to face a buff totem'ed, empowered and spirited Marauder for the shits and giggles, and speaking of the spirit, it's a niece touch that it's the summoner from '16.

So is the difficulty "tough but fair" kind or "annoying fuck you" kind? Saw some really butthurt steam reviews that claimed they ruined the gameplay, one especially was mad about the spirits.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So is the difficulty "tough but fair" kind or "annoying fuck you" kind? Saw some really butthurt steam reviews that claimed they ruined the gameplay, one especially was mad about the spirits.

Doom Eternal was already "fuck you" kind of difficulty which however was then rendered easy because you can just fill up ammo/health/armor on the go. That's the style of the game. Only Nightmare is genuinely challenging because enemies do so much damage you actually have to TRY to avoid their shit all though that's not always possible either.

Honestly just think of the game as an online arena shooter with monsters instead of people. That's pretty much what it is. You just can't control the field when there's so many variables going on and you simply have to wing it. I don't see how having more of that makes much of a difference.

Doom Eternal was already "fuck you" kind of difficulty which however was then rendered easy because you can just fill up ammo/health/armor on the go. That's the style of the game. Only Nightmare is genuinely challenging because enemies do so much damage you actually have to TRY to avoid their shit all though that's not always possible either.

For the most part it still felt pretty fair even on Nightmare though, except for few parts, like Marrauders in inconvenient places or the boss fights. I hate boss fights with minions, don't handle those well at all. And the Maykr fight with that burning floor shit made me rage especially. But nonetheless, most of the game was alright in that you can go through it swiftly once you stop sucking. I consider "fuck you" difficulty to be the kind that remains frustrating no matter how much you git gud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom