Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Darkest Dungeon II

Harthwain

Magister
For roguelikes especially doesn't exclusivity hurt the games especially as a lot tend to shape up and change by player feed back?

This will reduce your player base to a fraction of what it should have been while on epic.
Depends.

1) Do they want feedback?

2) Is Discord good enough place to give feedback, if they really want it (I am not using it myself, so I have no idea)?

Tigranes

Arcane
For roguelikes especially doesn't exclusivity hurt the games especially as a lot tend to shape up and change by player feed back?

This will reduce your player base to a fraction of what it should have been while on epic.

"Guys, we could take this pot of a million dorrahs and only have like 50k players for our playtesting, or we could not take the pot and have more playtesters!"

"Wow, guy, this is such a difficult decision, I don't know, man."

Bara

Arcane
Right I did stupidly forget epic is stupid rich right now. How much would they have thrown out even for a popular indie like darkest dungeon.

Shinros

Learned
What they should of done is own the fact they did it for the money, people would more easily accept the decision if you're just honest about it. Also the people complaining are just going to buy it anyway, most gamers are bad consumers.

Shinros

Learned
Remind me, how many developers admitted doing something purely for the sake of cash, like, EVER?

It's how you frame the argument, you would have more people eating out of your hand if you used the excuse that you needed the money to keep the lights on etc, some would fall for it.

Edit:I should be more clear, they did this for the money, providing a reason for taking the money, a reason a standard consumer would believe would make them swallow the news easier. To be fair though this decision was silly in the light of the goodwill generated beforehand.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I am fine with it being Early Access exclusive only. I try to avoid EA as much as I can anyway (mostly to not burn myself out), so if Epic wants to pay for that I don't mind. I will wait for the actual release and - if the game is good - pick it on the store of my own choice, which is pretty much all I want.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's how you frame the argument, you would have more people eating out of your hand if you used the excuse that you needed the money to keep the lights on etc, some would fall for it.

Edit:I should be more clear, they did this for the money, providing a reason for taking the money, a reason a standard consumer would believe would make them swallow the news easier.
Nope. You're thinking from the wrong end, china. It's corporate politics. Not a single publisher in the world would allow their developers to admit that they signed with them only because of the money. It's a bad rep.

Same shit in movies. In music industry. In sports. When some famous footballer in his thirties moves to some shit-level league in Qatar or China to earn more in the week that we can earn in the year, he will never admit that he did it for the money. Never. It's always about "opportunities", "experience" or some other vague shit.

Shinros

Learned
Nope. You're thinking from the wrong end, china. It's corporate politics. Not a single publisher in the world would allow their developers to admit that they signed with them only because of the money. It's a bad rep.

Same shit in movies. In music industry. In sports. When some famous footballer in his thirties moves to some shit-level league in Qatar or China to earn more in the week that we can earn in the year, he will never admit that he did it for the money. Never. It's always about "opportunities", "experience" or some other vague shit.

True. Perhaps I'm just too idealistic, that might be the case. Honestly, this was the last company I thought who would have made a decision like this. But, here we are.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

considering how resistant Red Hook is to critique, no lol

they made everything they could to make the game artificially harder through grind, corpse mechanic, etc

only after big enough controversies do tehy make corpse optional and much way later on do they make radiant difficulty to reduce the grind

the game at its core still has the same flaw people been complaining for years

We aren’t ready to comment on modding plans yet.
Even if they have mod support, the 3D will make the creation of new characters a lot harder.

If the game is big and people are able to mod it they'll mod it. It ain't exactly like 3D models stopped people in the past from making mods for a game. The models don't exactly look like the most difficult thing either. Stylistically they're nice, but that seems to just be the hand drawn textures more than anything else, and if you can draw up the characters to make in the first game you can likely also draw a mesh to put on a model.

Zariusz

Arbiter
We aren’t ready to comment on modding plans yet.
Even if they have mod support, the 3D will make the creation of new characters a lot harder.

If the game is big and people are able to mod it they'll mod it. It ain't exactly like 3D models stopped people in the past from making mods for a game. The models don't exactly look like the most difficult thing either. Stylistically they're nice, but that seems to just be the hand drawn textures more than anything else, and if you can draw up the characters to make in the first game you can likely also draw a mesh to put on a model.
Maybe it even could make modding easier, i remember that adding completly new classes to DD1 was difficult because you had to use some expensive software, without it you could only really resking other classes.

Jezal_k23

Early Access exclusivity is meaningless imo. Who cares about that? If Epic store players want to beta test the game and Red Hook gets a wad of cash in return, why wouldn't they do it? Actual 1.0 release is coming to other stores.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Perhaps Red Hook is going for EGS for the EA so that only dedicated fans will go buy it there, so they'd get better feedback on the EA?

And they'll still release 1.0 on Steam where everyone will be able to buy it

(it could be a reason why they did this, in addition to the big wad of cash Epic sent their way)

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Don't shit too much on Epic Games. They sponsored Total War: Troy, and slowly but surely it's shaping up to be a really nice title.

bec de corbin

Educated
Yeah, fuck epic store, I want to give my money to valve, I only support american parasitic drm merchants, god bless america star spangled banner etc
Nobody cares where you buy games, as long as you can buy them everywhere.
Lots of games are exclusive to Steam though

Personally I buy drm free games only, but I guess if you want to aggressively love a DRM company then that's cool too

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, fuck epic store, I want to give my money to valve, I only support american parasitic drm merchants, god bless america star spangled banner etc

the main difference is Steam doesn't fork some moolah to force exclusivity. Steam through Steamworks also provides free multiplayer framework which is a huge load off smaller devs. Being the biggest marketplace also works in its favor. Games being exclusive in Steam is force of the market, so to speak.

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister

the main difference is Steam doesn't fork some moolah to force exclusivity. Steam through also Steamworks provides free multiplayer framework which is a huge load off smaller devs. Being the biggest marketplace also works in its favor. Games being exclusive in Steam is force of the market, so to speak.
This.

I will add that Epic first tries to bribe the developer/publisher for Epic-only exclusive and when that fails (and the game gets to be put on Steam) they REFUSE to sell that game on their store at the same time:

https://www.pcgamer.com/darq-developer-reveals-why-he-turned-down-epic-store-exclusivity/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom