Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Are cRPGs doing endings wrong?

I just wanted to add a poll tbh

• A

• B

• Crispy

• D

Results are only viewable after voting.
Codex Year of the Donut
A common complaint I see with most RPGs is that the ending sucks. Are they inherently doing something wrong? What are examples of good RPG endings(preferably ones that aren't sequel-bait) and what do you think makes them better than most of the rest of the genre?

Bonus: what are examples of really terrible endings?

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Divinity OS2 also had a good ending.

I wouldn't even call them ending slides. They're more like a powerpoint presentation. I'd prefer either nothing or a time skip where I can at least have conversations. I really larian but what they did at the end of dos2 on the ship where you can talk to your companions and get their thoughts on your decision went in a good direction

This was my favorite part of the game. And the ending was similar to the ending of Castaway where Tom Hanks finds himself at a crossroads, he can go anywhere in a world full of possibilities. In Divinity OS2 you end on a ship in the open sea, and you feel like you can sail anywhere you want to in a world of more fantastical possibilities. I immediately hoped for a sequel or DLCs to continue the story.

Codex Year of the Donut

I wouldn't even call them ending slides. They're more like a powerpoint presentation. I'd prefer either nothing or a time skip where I can at least have conversations. I really larian but what they did at the end of dos2 on the ship where you can talk to your companions and get their thoughts on your decision went in a good direction

This was my favorite part of the game. And the ending was similar to the ending of Castaway where Tom Hanks finds himself at a crossroads, he can go anywhere in a world full of possibilities. In Divinity OS2 you end on a ship in the open sea, and you feel like you can sail anywhere you want to in a world of more fantastical possibilities. I immediately hoped for a sequel or DLCs to continue the story.
I think the implied finality attempted hurts a lot of RPGs.
Going to cross off a bit of my OP because I don't think it's a bad thing.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Although I really liked the ending in Age of Decadence, good stuff.

I wanted to joke, but fuck this shit: this is how you make the ending in a RPG. There's so many of them, from being crucified to ascending as demigod, whatever you want.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Great example #1: Fallout. You can trigger the ending from two different places. Given the emphasis RPGs try to place on player choice and non-linearity, this is shockingly uncommon.

Great example #2: Deus Ex. You have to work for your preferred ending, and if you aren't good enough to get the narrative outcome that you want, too fucking bad.

Terrible examples: Both PoE games. It's the result of overall narrative failure. The player doesn't have a reason to give a shit whether the gods are real, or whether the Wheel is destroyed. The only reason to even bother finishing the PoE games is for the boss battles, which aren't even that impressive when compared to the IE antecedents.

Terra

Cipher

Conversely, given that DOS2 had a pretty solid ending and endpoint in general, that made me not want a sequel/continuation. I've become tired of games not ending properly, unwanted protagonist shifts and/or changes of direction in sequels that serve only to diminish their predecessors ending, so when I get a solid ending, I'll take it. Wasn't sure what Larian was up to with Fallen Heroes in that regard, either.

Sequel bait and unfulfilled promises in the eleventh hour are a hellish combination in the realm of modern/AAA gaming especially.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm going to say something potentially controversial. I think Arcanum's ending would've worked better if there were no twist, and Arronax were actually the villain. The game repeatedly suggests that a confrontation is coming between Nasrudin (or his reincarnation) and Arronax (or his reincarnation), and it's just an anti-climax to learn that it's actually some guy named Kerghan. It's funny that Troika wanted to lampshade some common RPG tropes, but in this case I don't think it did their story any favors.

I'm going to say something potentially controversial. I think Arcanum's ending would've worked better if there were no twist, and Arronax were actually the villain. The game repeatedly suggests that a confrontation is coming between Nasrudin (or his reincarnation) and Arronax (or his reincarnation), and it's just an anti-climax to learn that it's actually some guy named Kerghan. It's funny that Troika wanted to lampshade some common RPG tropes, but in this case I don't think it did their story any favors.

While the villain was cool, even persuasive, I agree. You arrive in the void after all of this game chasing a specter only to find out it's someone else. Not necessary.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
The evil KotOR1 ending is badass. A rare case of a satisfying RPG ending and an even rarer example where the evil ending is the best ending.

Also the evil ending in Mask of the Betrayer.

just

Liturgist
i like the secret mass effect ending
you never play me2, the reapers take over and continue the infinite cycle

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I think its actually great.

The entire game is a big subversion of the whole heroic fantasy arc.

The Chosen One: Fake.

The Benevolent Religion: A bunch of people who are not doing what they are supposed to do, and are being co-opted by their enemies all along.

The Ancient Prophecy: Possibly bullshit.

The Big Good: Actually alive and living his last days as a pathetic old man.

The Big Bad: Actually regretted what he did after all this time, and the actual big bad is someone else.

The whole Kerghan reveal plays better if you use Black Necromancy and talk to enough spirits.
Also, the artifact/MacGuffin that kickstarts the plot - like in Lord of the Rings - is literally just a simple ring, the actual important part of the ring is the information it provides. If you're smart and pay a modicum of attention, you can figure out that you need to go to Roseborough based on the other items that you get from the guy who gives you the ring.
God damn I want to play Arcanum again now.

Falksi

Arcane
Divinity 2: TDKS had a superb ending. Done well they really add to the game.

I get why they're usually shit. By the time it gets around to making them I think most people on the game are burned out. What I am surprised about though is that they don't recognise just how much a good ending does to wet the appetite for the next game.

When forming an album or gig set, most bands tend to follow the rule "start strong, finish strong", mainly coz first impressions fuel excitement & hype, & final impressions leave the lasting feeling. So why devs neglect endings, when games essentially do the same, is bizarre.

I loved Baldur's Gate 1, but seeing that shitty ending didn't leave me hyped for 2, and I left buying it for a few years. Whereas with Divinity 2:TDKS I grabbed the expansion the second it came out (very rare for me)

krilcebre

Learned
In general I like nice and simple endings. Gothic 2 for example had a nice happy ending, where after being a prisoner, getting stuck on an island, going through tons of shit, you finally manage to get yourself a ship, fuck up a boss and sail away with your best buddies to the place where it all started pretty much. Nice and happy, no complications, no plot twists. From recent games I also liked the ending of Spellforce 3, and even better, Soul Harvest (even tho the beginning didn't make much sense). I'm much happier when there's just one ending done well, than an attempt to make multiple ones, where each one usually ends up falling short.

Codex Year of the Donut

I'd consider it to be non-cliffhanger sequel bait. It definitely didn't put a final lid on the Vault Dweller's story and left it open for a direct continuation(that never happened, obviously.) Satisfying, if a bit gut wrenching after all your Vault Dweller went through.

For something on the other end of the spectrum: What are some cRPGs where the ending is the hero(es) retiring?
I can think of Witcher 3 with Blood & Wine. It was decent enough, especially after how meh the base campaign was.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 3 Blood and Wine, all possible variants. A true goodbye to the characters of the trilogy. But ofcourse the best moment is when the Witcher and Regis have their party and Geralt breaks the 4th wall.

V_K

Arcane
The Summoning:
- There's a twist, and then another twist, and a slew of red herrings leading to them.
- There's a choice, but it's not a red/blue button choice but a puzzle, and to solve it correctly you need to have been paying attention to lore throughout the game.
- In the true ending, you get to assume the identity of the Big Bad you've just defeated and rule their empire, how cool is that?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The ultra evil ending in Mask of the Betrayer is the best ending in videogame history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom