Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

lightbane

Arcane
The Flooding District is enough to give that wad a try, or at least watch the walkthrough.

Check min. 22.00 for pure awesomeness.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Afterglow and can't wait for the full version.

Anyway - there is Quake2 TC demo released. Someone made Doom mod based on N64 version of Q2. Why? Hell if I knew...

Blake00

Learned
Another (over)ambitious TC is in development, this time it is Quest for Glory TC for Hexen:

GScreenshot04.png

Screenshot06.png

GScreenshot02.png

For once, it looks like author already did a bulk of the work before he publicly announced his project and is reasonably close to release.

Well I guess this explains more of the hit's I got on my youtube videos haha, keep finding posts about my stuff on these forums haha.

Thank you to both tormund and Don Peste for posting about my work in this thread. Yes I kept the release mostly a secret until the day of release so that no one got messed around or given false hope. And yes it probably was over ambitious lol but hopefully one day I'll get it done!

Since this thread is for Doom mods as well as Hexen I should point out that I also released another mod that same day, the Star Trek Doom mod (also in GZDoom). I actually worked on this one after finishing QFG4-3D so it's definitely the superior product from a design standpoint as I was really getting into my groove! It was actually a remake of my old Star Trek Doom level that I started back in the 90s as I was annoyed with the lack of quality in other ST mods.. wanted to do something that actually felt like you were on the Enterprise (within the limitations of the Doom engine of course).

Hopefully one day I'll finish these projects.. but until then at least people have these big old demos to enjoy. :)

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Shrine 1 is all right, graphic is a bit hard to read, gray cretaures in front of gray walls, monsters are rather unbalanced and some are damage sponges schooting hard to dodge missiles, I don't see other way to play it than peeking around the corner and shooting them untill they're dead. Levels are ok, nothing special but not too annoying.
Shrine 2 is cool so far, better weapons, better enemies (but some are massive damage sponges), some annoying platforming. Parts that are trying to be Doom are better then parts that are trying to be Dark Souls. Game is considerably easier when secrets are found, they have weapons that are aviable in next levels. Setting is not really "lovecraftian" like advertised, reminds me of Japanese games. Graphic is pretty, sound design is very nice, music is fun. I think I have to start this one again in standalone build, because event don't trigger in the library level and I think there are some missing files detected when GZDoom is loading it. Both mods are done with mouselook and jump in mind (and crosshair, I have problems with aiming with some of those guns because they point somewhere to the side, not where they shoot at).

HansDampf

Arcane
What are the "correct" compatibility settings in GZDoom? For the original Doom and Doom II levels I've used the Doom (strict) preset, and for modern WADs I've then disabled the Lost Soul limit. That seemed about right, until I encountered several issues in Sunlust. In Map24, Dying on Cue, there is a BFG that is supposed to slide out of a hole down onto a platform, but it gets stuck up there.
GYlpdX1.jpg
And in Map30, God Machine, there are some corpses lying around at the beginning that are supposed to get resurrected when you press the button. With Doom (strict) or even just Doom they get resurrected immediately after the map starts. I've tried it with the other presets but, at best, they work for one scenario but not for the other. They also mess with other aspects of the game.

I think you're supposed to leave it at default and the WAD maker usually has settings that will take effect. At least I've not touched those settings and I didn't have those problems with sunlust.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected

Furryvania 3D

It's not bad, fun little project but I don't feel like finishing it, swinging an ax at stuff running around is rather simplistic compared to gun based gameplay. Some level design and monster placement decisions are similar to Shrine 1 (it was developed by the same guy).

Lagi

Savant
Melee combat is great. You need to take into account your weapon range. You expose yourself. You cannot abuse around the corner shots.

Too bad in most old.fps melee weapon is just poor starting weapon. And gameplay is design around range combat (enemy fire reaction, no sneaking chance, high range dmg, to counter ai stupidity).

Melee could be spiced with stun, hp leach, blocks, push backs. All this can be add to guns, but it have bigger impact in close quarters.

In wayfarer map 4 colloseum you gain berserk at start, and you can kill sabreclaws with 1.5 staff hit, I enjoy this.

Heretic powered gauntlets recovering your hp, are just pure fun.

In schism if you doing melee finishers you gain some health.

Punching is in general disadvantage compere to guns, because you have short range, but it have its own fun flavour, that not always is exhibit due to pumped up enemies to face hit scanning player weapons.

Luzur

Good Sir

Furryvania 3D

It's not bad, fun little project but I don't feel like finishing it, swinging an ax at stuff running around is rather simplistic compared to gun based gameplay. Some level design and monster placement decisions are similar to Shrine 1 (it was developed by the same guy).

So, use that stuff you learnt from this mod and make something TOTALLY RAD ok

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
180 Minutes Pour Vivre is a collection of 32 new Doom II maps put together by the French Doom Community & friends.
Loosely following the recipe of the 3 Heures d'Agonie speedmapping series, this mapset makes use of a few extra assets to introduce a fresh, unusual, and definitely eerie setting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ts1h4e3ljn8b7j/180mpv_RC3.zip?dl=1

Montage1_orig.png.71c87752a94f94a8b276ec5dedcbe9c8.png

Excellent megawad made for single player playthrough, with no massive ammount of enemies or spaghetti level design. Although a couple of last maps are really intense and belong more to a slaughterwad set, it was still a blast. I've finished RC1 version with a long breaks, so maybe it is more balanced now. I think I already recommended 3 Hours of Agony as well.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12973 Hideous Destructor WAD for GZDoom (and for Zandronum as well).

~~ SWAT + Ghost Recon + early Deus Ex levels in Doom 2 by how WAD feels ~~

I think it is best to read manual (or wiki in Matt's GitHub) for how most new features actually work at first. And after this playing in training range map while getting familiar with controls. Otherwise, it is hard to get into gameplay and actually having fun.

Mod itself provides with much slower tactical gameplay, and seemed almost contradictive to Doom gameplay philosophy at first to me. Most enemies are much tougher and can show middle finger to player in many ways (Imps flame projectiles can put player to fire, possessed troopers can kill in one hit ~only with headshot~ and so on). Doomguy will bleed and player will need to use cover / lean-pick from corners.
Doomguy weaponry also work better and with more options at player's disposal while it acts more realistically.

And honestly... I had a lot of fun playing this WAD along with other mods, but all maps will demand more time to complete. Some maps are close to impossible (or are impossible).

- Mods I been using in conjunction -
+ Ugly as Sin (different mutators - hunger, broken items, etc)
+ AI Director (improved AI)
+ Monster Pack from Silent_darkness (new monsters)
+ Immerse
+ DarkDoomZ
(Basically, most recommended gameplay and atmosphere improving mods from GitHub page).

Cheers 0/

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

GZ PT is a standalone non-profit GZDOOM based remake of Hideo Kojima's Playable Teaser. While not a 1:1 remake, every sequence has been recreated as close as possible to the original, with low res assets and textures in true retro fashion.
Will you manage to escape the haunted corridor?

This game is completely standalone, only GZDOOM is required to play!

https://batandy.itch.io/gz-pt

Riskbreaker

The first taste of Lost Civilization 2 is out:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/117977-release-lost-civilization-2-part-1-the-introduction/
Full-on TC this time around. From what I've played so far, the detail and interactivity are more like something you'd see in a highly advanced eDuke32 map. Can't say I'm enjoying the combat as much, especially after how well balanced the original megawad was for the most part - I wonder how many times will folks repeat the very opening section on his UV-equivalent, let alone some of what comes later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom