Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Xenonauts vs. OpenXcom

then it was an a1200, 14 mhz and 1mb ram. as i said in the first place. surprise surprise.

razvedchiki

Erudite
I like Xenonauts (with Community Improvement) better than the old XCOM for sure, because
- I really dislike the psy-war (which is toned down in Xenonauts),
- The interception is more interesting in Xenonauts,
- I like the civilian police trying to shoot back, though it is not very well done
- Shield and suppression fire

The huge problems of Xenonauts are that you cannot breach the enemy ships, worse or inexistant "random map creator" and less interesting enemies. Hopefully they improve that in Xenonauts 2?

I never played OpenXCOM, so I am not sure how these compare.

breaching everywhere is fixed with mods and map mods add variety.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How's the AI for openxcom, as compared to JA2? From gameplay on youtube it looks to me as if the difficulty level was only caused by aliens being OP.

The AI is good and the aliens are overpowered.
The "jumper" that teleports through walls and lands every fucking time in your blindside gets old real quick (fortunately, you can hear the "jump" so you know how many are out there and paranoia helps).

The Terminators are also overpowered but i think they come from mods.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I like Xenonauts (with Community Improvement) better than the old XCOM for sure, because
- I really dislike the psy-war (which is toned down in Xenonauts),
- The interception is more interesting in Xenonauts,
- I like the civilian police trying to shoot back, though it is not very well done
- Shield and suppression fire

The huge problems of Xenonauts are that you cannot breach the enemy ships, worse or inexistant "random map creator" and less interesting enemies. Hopefully they improve that in Xenonauts 2?

I never played OpenXCOM, so I am not sure how these compare.

breaching everywhere is fixed with mods and map mods add variety.

So you play with CE and just download map packs from the workshop?

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Yeah, but some maps have design issues, like you start behind waist-height wooden bareers that you can't destroy and cannot jump above them with a shield, and other shenanigans.

At least it was the case when I played with the CE mod, (and you could not breach the ship back then)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom