Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will I enjoy Icewind Dale if the combat was my least favourite thing about Baldur's Gate?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I've heard Icewind Dale is combat-centric and there isn't much story/character development. Choices and consequences are important too.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Maybe. Icewind Dale has better encounter design than BG, plus better deungeons and full party creation. The level cap is also higher, so there's a better sense of progression through a full AD&D campaign.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
IWD is almost all about combat, character development and finding better loot.
Story is just an excuse for adventuring (the writing itself is pretty good, though) and there's no C&C to speak of.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Probably not, I kind of enjoyed it more than Baldur's Gate because of full party creation and no retarded characters, but I don't think the engine was appropriate for combat-centric games with tons of loot.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I've heard Icewind Dale is combat-centric and there isn't much story/character development. Choices and consequences are important too.
IWD has better encounter design than the BG games, but much less story. There's not much C&C either. If you didn't like the BGs I can't imagine you'd like the IWDs.
You should still play them though, after all, the Codex isn't about playing the games that you enjoy, it is about establishing your street cred to shit on the games you didn't enjoy. So just play the fucking IWDs already you double nigger.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I'd say the IWD combat is better. I enjoyed it more not having like the combat in BG.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Better visuals, better writing though that's like 5% of the game (careful about the few lines added by shit dog, which are pretty terrible), better areas (aside for Durlag' Tower), best portraits in any crpg i've ever played.

Best way to enjoy combat is to limit resting as much as possible. That allows for some strategy on how to use buffs and spells. Game is hard as shit too up until the fist half after that it starts getting easier.

Thal

Prophet
If you did not like even the better encounters of BG1, such as bandit parties, then IWD offers nothing to you. If you disliked only trash mobs, then you might enjoy IWD.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you mean strictly BG1 then I like IWD quite a lot while considering BG1 very meh/skippable so yeah, it's possible.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
IWD is a very linear game, where the plot is just an excuse to keep the adventure going. There are neither choices nor consequences to speak of: you reach a new area, explore it, experience its content (mainly combat, but there are a couple of quests here and there), and then move on to the next area.

Combat is great, but what makes the game really stand out to me is the atmosphere. Everything in this game helps to establish a very specific tone for the adventure: the art style, the sceneries, the detailed backgrounds, the soundtrack, and the writing set a very distinct and unique mood that no other game managed to recreate ever again.

IWD is like a D&D adventure with a DM who's very good at orchestrating fun combat encounters and creating and describing interesting areas and NPCs, but who railroads his players into a predetermined plot and sequence of events.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's got the same clunky RTwP combat as BG. I somewhat enjoyed IWD but during my entire playthrough I kept thinking how much better this would be turn-based, where I wouldn't have to fight with the terrible aiming of AoE spells and the inevitable clusterfucks.

Icewind Dale is an overrated pile of garbage. Remove all the writing and exploration and charm of Baldur's Gate and you have Icewind Dale. Even the combat is worse, actually, as it lacks the fun mage duels and other interesting encounters of BG.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Icewind Dale is an overrated pile of garbage. Remove all the writing and exploration and charm of Baldur's Gate and you have Icewind Dale. Even the combat is worse, actually, as it lacks the fun mage duels and other interesting encounters of BG.
Funnily enough, Malavon in Dorn's Deep is a better encounter than any of the "cast Spell Thrust and Breach, then whack them with a stick" mage duels in BG2.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
IWD has better encounter design than the BG games, but much less story. There's not much C&C either. If you didn't like the BGs I can't imagine you'd like the IWDs.
You should still play them though, after all, the Codex isn't about playing the games that you enjoy, it is about establishing your street cred to shit on the games you didn't enjoy. So just play the fucking IWDs already you double nigger.
There's no much of C&C in BG2 either. Choose one of the two factions which leads to the same result, except a few fights early in game. And that's it. Most of other c&c are fake or very minor. So much c&c ! I only played BG1 for few hours back in thee day but was it better? I sincerely doubt it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
There's not really any C&C in BG1 either. I suspect a lot of codexers are misremembering the BG games through 20 years of SCS and nostalgia.

Silly Germans

How is combat that much better ? Its pretty much exactly the same just much more of it in a tighter package. Many areas are just trash mob after trash mob. Its just harder than BG1 since you cant rest as easily, but the encounter design itself is at best marginally better. Some of you make it sound as if it's combat is in an entirely different league, which it is not. Its just more of it and a bit harder.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
There's no much of C&C in BG2 either.
There's very little in either BG game and I never said (or intended to imply) that there was, I just brought it up because OP mentioned it. Most of the C&C is just determined by which characters you bring in your party.

I wouldn't recommend it. It's all about combat and collecting equipment. The combat system is still the same, but there is much more room for tactical experiments (much more spells). The story is standard, there are no choices at all. I found the overall experience to be very bland when I replayed the game earlier this year.

Trashos

Arcane
IWD's combat was about attrition, so by default it was garbage in comparison to BG2.

I did enjoy its art and atmosphere. And a couple of fights maybe. That's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom