Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Urban Strife will be published by MicroProse, coming Q3 2021

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: MicroProse; Urban Strife; White Pond Games

Back in August, we learned that White Pond Games' promising zombie survival RPG Urban Strife had been picked up by an unnamed publisher. Today they announced that the mystery publisher is none other than MicroProse, a revival of the legendary brand founded last year by one David Lagettie in cooperation with original MicroProse founder Bill Stealey. There's a new trailer to go along with this announcement, which offers a look at some of the game's nifty base-building elements. It's available at PC Gamer along with a brief description:

MicroProse, originally co-founded by Sid Meier almost 40 years ago, made a surprising return this year. It looks like it's picked up where it left off, publishing games that feel most at home on PC, typically with a tactical or sim bent. The latest is Urban Strife, a mix of turn-based tactics, management and roleplaying during a zombie apocalypse. Check out the trailer above.

Developed by White Pond Games, Urban Strife is set after the zombies have wiped out civilisation, but they've yet to finish the job and zombify every single human. That means you've got time to build up your shelter, make deals with a trio of factions, put together a team of gun-toting survivors and generally prepare for the return of the horde of wandering corpses.

So many turn-based tactics games get compared to XCOM these days, but Urban Strife's got more in common with the Sir-Tech classic Jagged Alliance 2. Like the tactical merc RPG, Urban Strife boasts a dynamic campaign where you'll have to go out and explore, chatting up NPCs and engaging in a bit of diplomacy in an effort to unite the last specks of humanity. This time, though, the NPCs apparently have their own lives and allegiances, with their morality determined by the faction they've joined.

Urban Strife's got a trio of factions: army rebels, a cult of zombie-lovers and a biker gang—standard post-apocalyptic fare—and you'll be able to work with them or, if diplomacy breaks down, add them to the large list of things that you have to shoot.

As well as fighting off any factions you've pissed off as you try to expand, you'll naturally encounter some of those moaning, shuffling zombies. The thing is, zombies usually suck in turn-based games. Fighting off hordes of enemies who sluggishly move one by one is a chore, but Urban Strife's reanimated corpses use a horde AI that means they all move in a single turn. Each is still an individual enemy, but when it comes to movement they all act as a single unit.

Like Jagged Alliance 2, you'll fight during the day and at night, and sticking to the shadows means you'll be able to sneak around and use melee for silent takedowns, or set up your squad for an ambush. You'll be sneakier at night, but using cover, stealth is still viable when the sun is out. And speaking of lighting things up, you can use fire as a weapon, which will dynamically destroy anything flammable that it encounters.

Urban Strife is coming out next year on Steam, but MicroProse says there will be an opportunity to play before that.

According to its Steam page, Urban Strife is now scheduled for release in Q3 2021. Earlier plans to release the game on Early Access this year have apparently been cancelled.

_V_

Scholar
The publisher fits the zombie theme. Pretty meta.
Trailer gives strong DeadState vibes. Pretty interested overall.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Maybe I'm a romantic soul after all: Seeing the Microprose logo in the context of a turn-based game somehow moved me.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lots of negative Nancys in the Youtube comments.

Zombie fatigue has set in like a decade ago, and the glut of zombie mobile games didn't help. TBH, when I first started looking at the project in its own thread, my first immediate thought was... oh another zombie game. But looking at the mechanics and turn-based combat gave me some optimism, even though the zombie apocalypse isn't really a genre I'm into. Factions, base-building and inspiration from JA2 makes me take a less biased look at things.

Also YouTube comments can be safely disregarded as the lowest form of communication known to man.

Jinn

Arcane
I expressed my own zombie fatigue in the first thread made about the game here a year or two ago and lamented their inclusion in an otherwise promising looking game. Having followed the game regardless since then, it's just been looking better and better. Still wish they hadn't gone with the zombie theme and stuck with just the post-apocalyptic urban setting instead, but the gameplay and mechanics on display has earned my support regardless when the time comes. Might just be the last zombie themed game (or piece of media for that matter) I ever buy.

Last edited:

Dr Schultz

Augur
Looks like shit. People are so starved for turn-based games they'll take anything.

Honestly, I have an hard time remembering a period with more turn-based games than the one we are living. And I have a loooong memory...

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah wow guess it goes back to 2000. You're ancient buddy!

Go back to posting about your precious Cyberspunk you stupid piece of shit.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Yeah wow guess it goes back to 2000. You're ancient buddy!

Go back to posting about your precious Cyberspunk you stupid piece of shit.

... Sure, why not?
We live in the era of the flat earth society after all: Nowadays every moron is entitled to believe whatever he wants :D....

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So the devs know by heart now what Dead State did wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom