Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gamer Gate II: HALT AND GO NO FURTHER LAYMEN

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good read, but I couldn't find an analysis of everyone's favorite companion: Wilson!

latest

Caim

Arcane
So you fucking like BG2, eh?
consider that Baldur’s Gate II, Diablo II, and Deus Ex were all published within a three month time-span.

And Icewind Dale. :rpgcodex:

Betrayal at Krondor, itself written by an award-winning novelist harping on his own creation.
Raymond Feist didn't write anything in the game, but he did write a novel based on the game.
Thanks for reading that far, at least!

I am confused about this. I do remember (this is almost 30 years ago) the Betrayal at Krondor CD coming with an interview of Feist. Edit: found it!

So I guess he had editorial oversight over the story, but didn't write it? So I will make a note. Thank you for pointing that out.

I love me some fucking Riftwar Cycle and I remember reading Betrayal at Krondor way before even knowing it was based on a game. One of the most bizarre moments of that book was where the cast essentially accepts a side quest to go kill a monster in a mine, only to not do anything with that until the end. I guess it's true to the RPG experience. :troll:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I love me some fucking Riftwar Cycle and I remember reading Betrayal at Krondor way before even knowing it was based on a game. One of the most bizarre moments of that book was where the cast essentially accepts a side quest to go kill a monster in a mine, only to not do anything with that until the end. I guess it's true to the RPG experience. :troll:

I was one of those kids who discovered Feist precisely because of this game. At that point I was devouring fantasy as fast as I could get it (this was early 90s, so no internet and only what I could find at the bookstore). I was reading David Gemmell, the new Conan pastiches that Tor was putting out, Terry Brooks, all the Forgotten Realms stuff . . . good times. So much of modern fantasy is now just garbage.

Feist fell off a little bit in his later years but his first several books in the Riftwar were pretty great.

hell bovine

Arcane
and Melissan is a great villain
:lol:

I liked her. I mean, I knew she was a bad guy right away. They practically send you a telegram with Gromnir on this point, but I thought she was quite good.
Good at what? She is only there to tell the player what to do next and you can't do anything about it, because ToB turns charname into a doormat.
It's as if you took Sarevok & Irenicu, kept their motivation (wanna be a god), but removed the characterization and backstroy that made them interesting. What is left is a placeholder villain. Even Mr. tentacles is more memorable, despit having only a few lines.

Silly Germans

It's been 20 years. I have some thoughts. I'm warning you now, this is 10,000 words.
And if you’re a woman, sorry you have to fuck Anomen.
I thought Paladins aren't allowed to lie. Those are 11,263 words.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I admire your dedication, but I have some Asimov novells I have to read, so you can surely understand that I can't waste time reading your post.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It needs to be said that Haer'Dalis and Valygar are both perfectly fine companions, and I often bring them along in my playthroughs.
Haer'Dalis is actually my favorite companion... after I've used the lvl1npcs mod to make him a swashbuckler

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
A romance here was so begging to be made, that it was one of the first mods the game ever received, and one of its biggest.

1455481012011.png

How is a party composition of Keldorn + Korgan, Viconia and Edwin even possible?

It's easy. The only problem in this party is Keldorn and Viconia. When the random dialogue by Keldorn which says something like "I give you one day to GTFO the drow" happens, just reload (I think I had it happen twice in my BG2 playtrough, so nothing serious). Or there's a mod to remove it.

Keldorn will happely tolerate all other evil companions (and even your char if he's evil), which is retarded.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Pretty sure he hates having her around because she's evil *and* she gets him hard.

pomenitul

Arbiter
That, plus she's a Drow priestess of Shar – a massive red flag for a lawful good paladin – who deftly and rightly calls him out on the hypocrisy inherent to his worldview. For instance, it's quite telling how Keldorn almost gets along with Korgan, who is his exact opposite alignment-wise (and remains so throughout), while he reserves no quarter for a romanced Viconia, even though she may partially redeem herself. Clearly, the inquisitor's reading of evil is skin-deep or at the very least suspiciously selective, since Sarevok, who is bound to have committed more atrocities than a solitary dark elf outcast who wants nothing more than to survive in a hostile environment, also garners his cautious sympathy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Feist fell off a little bit in his later years but his first several books in the Riftwar were pretty great.

Feist, or at least the Riftwar Saga, is entry level Fantasy.
I loved Magician 25-30 years ago (and hated Tad Williams for shamelessly copying the opening chapter in Dragonbone Chair), but when I read the Riftwar Saga about 5 years ago I thought it was rather simplistic and juvenile.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I found Haeravon walktrough far superior.Otherwise, I also read walktrough while shitting.

Also, my inner munckinny autistic self disagree with some point, but i'm not sure we should listen to him in order to enjoy BG2

Care to develop ga♥ ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom