Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds released on Steam and GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds

There was a lot of drama when The Outer Worlds was announced as an Epic Games Store kinda-exclusive back in March 2019, but thanks to Microsoft's Game Pass and piracy that turned out not to be such a big deal. Nowadays, in this year of covid lockdowns, Baldur's Gate 3 mania and the impending release of Cyberpunk 2077, Obsidian's game feels like a relic from an earlier, less ambitious age. Still, I suppose its release on Steam and (surprisingly) GOG today might be of interest to those who were waiting for the game to appear on their favored platform before playing the DLCs. Here's the new launch trailer, which is just the original with review scores and a different ending slide:

The Outer Worlds is available on Steam and GOG for $60, with a hefty 50% launch discount for the next two weeks. No discount for the expansion pass, though. The game's second and final expansion, Murder on Eridanos, is still on the way and will arrive sometime early next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And ya'll are against da pirates.... YARRRRRR HARRRR HARRRR. Thank them for their aid in its release.
n7RDt7m.jpg

NapkinsPolly.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Has anyone here read the novel? I swear I saw a 1970-80 novel cover similar to the game box. Perhaps it was engineered to look similar.

So I was wondering about DLC since the first is out as well and then I see the season pass.

• The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon is available now. Investigate the dark secrets of one of the most ambitious scientific undertakings in Halcyon: the development and synthesis of Adrena-Time, a drug intended to improve the productivity of workers across the colony.
  • The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos will launch in 2021. Halcyon Helen’s final (and finest!) adventure.

Makes me wonder if the passes are worth it since the first DLC is 14.99. Maybe you save 5-8$ in the end. I don't see it being more than 15$ upon release next year.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Infinitron said:
Nowadays, in this year of covid lockdowns, Baldur's Gate 3 mania and the impending release of Cyberpunk 2077, Obsidian's game feels like a relic from an earlier, less ambitious age.

Nowadays? This game was always an unambitious relic, there's nothing relative about it. Its announcement trailer remains its best aspect.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think this game is the "flagship" of the fact that woke progressive people are artistically bankrupt.

I feel sorry for Tim Cain but not also for Boyarsky is he was in charge with the visuals.

Deleted member 7219

A similarly titled game "Outer Wilds" winning plaudits from game reviewers everywhere definitely didn't help.

But yes, the game was utterly mediocre and boring too.

I think if it launched on Steam to begin with it might have done ok.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lots of ringing endorsement itt :lol:

I love wasting expendable income on dubious games I'll never play much so was thinking about buying it, but when I saw the utterly retarded pricing it was an instant nope. Then I saw it's not even a full package and the game still has unreleased dlc and they're selling "season pass" with pricing as retarded as the base game. I guess MS loves their gamepass fodder to stay gamepass fodder.

GloomFrost

Arcane
So people who got really excited after Microsoft bought bethesda and were shouting NEW VEGAS 2 or even Van Buren finally possible!!! YAY!!! Well...... Outer worlds showed what nowadays obsidian are capable of, there will not be a proper NV 2 or any other DECENT RPG from obsidian ever again. Amen. (Christ, even tyranny or POE 2 seem like rough diamonds compared to that turd)

Deleted member 7219

So people who got really excited after Microsoft bought bethesda and were shouting NEW VEGAS 2 or even Van Buren finally possible!!! YAY!!! Well...... Outer worlds showed what nowadays obsidian are capable of, there will not be a proper NV 2 or any other DECENT RPG from obsidian ever again. Amen. (Christ, even tyranny or POE 2 seem like rough diamonds compared to that turd)

I liked Pillars of Eternity 2 and Tyranny a lot. They were the last gasps of old Obsidian.

The Outer Worlds and Grounded are nu-Obsidian, all creativity gone. It's not even a zombie, a zombie at least has a vague resemblance of what used to be.

GloomFrost

Arcane

I liked Pillars of Eternity 2 and Tyranny a lot. They were the last gasps of old Obsidian.

The Outer Worlds and Grounded are nu-Obsidian, all creativity gone. It's not even a zombie, a zombie at least has a vague resemblance of what used to be.
POE 2 was already pretty much "nu obsidian" with reduced party size, grotesque amount of SJW and strong independent women, tedious, mediocre writing, really small dungeons and an epic main plot which was ............ 4 quests long. But graphics looked really pretty, cant deny that.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
At least The Outer Worlds has shown people here just how much of a crutch Josh Sawyer is to Obsidian. With him, opinions about a given game vary. Without him, everyone agrees it's shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom