Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone remember what inXile spent on TTON and BT4? I think they spent like 4 to 8 mill out of their own pocket on TTON, and maybe on BT4 too? I can't find that info anymore.

Also, anyone got info on TTON and BT4 sales?
Tides of Numenera was 8.5 million https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/inxile-general-discussion-thread.99490/page-26#post-5337498

Bard's Tale IV over 10 million https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...deep-directors-cut.123953/page-8#post-5795852
LoL that is overspending if i have seen one. Kwanza really don't know how to use money like grown people. For those money you could get like 20 underrails.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LoL that is overspending if i have seen one. Kwanza really don't know how to use money like grown people. For those money you could get like 20 underrails.

Well for ToN a lot of that budget was "on paper." They spent most of it on Wasteland 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Well for ToN a lot of that budget was "on paper." They spent most of it on Wasteland 2.
Which also ended up shit. It is amazing how they managed to deliver shit game every single time.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Ok, maybe they spent W2 profits on TToN and it flopped. But where in the fuck did they get 10 million for BT4? I could maybe imagine they were using W3 money on BT4, but then when BT4 flopped, how were they still in business making W3?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For BT4 I can think of multiple direct and indirect funding sources.
  • Certain: Kickstarter, sharing resources from the VR game Mage's Tale (funded by Oculus), Dracogen, Louisiana Government, Deep Silver (publisher for consoles)
  • Speculation: Zack Linford (some investor listed in credits as special thanks), part of investments from gumi inc. (it was largely intended for the VR shooter but not all of it)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Certain: Kickstarter, sharing resources from the VR game Mage's Tale (funded by Oculus), Dracogen, Louisiana Government, Deep Silver (publisher for consoles)
Ok, so I know VR companies paid for Mage's Tale and Dengler gave a mill, if I remember right. We're still short 7 mill at least.

The New Orleans studio, they opened it back in 2015, and I think they only got tax cuts or something, no? Which would affect W2 and TToN development, but by the time BT4 came out, that was old old news.

And Deep Silver, what's the story there? I know InXile let Techland take care of console ports before, but the details are probably unknown. I would imagine Deep Silver and Techland didn't actually fund InXile, they merely took care of distribution and took a cut for themsleves, no?

There were also remasters of BT Trilogy and Wasteland 1, but I think those funded W3, not BT4. And I can't imagine it was anything more than pocket money.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They got injected with cash to develop VR games which they then in turn used for the flop that was BT4.
Ahh i doubt that BT4 and numanuma flopped,most likely they made enough to get even or a small loss. They would need around 200k-300k sold to get even,by now i wouldn't be surprised if they sold that much.

Codex Year of the Donut
They got injected with cash to develop VR games which they then in turn used for the flop that was BT4.
Ahh i doubt that BT4 and numanuma flopped,most likely they made enough to get even or a small loss. They would need around 200k-300k sold to get even,by now i wouldn't be surprised if they sold that much.
Numenera? Maybe. Probably cost less to develop, too.
BT4? Financial disaster. The BT trilogy remaster sold more copies.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It sold around 100k-200k at best,so yeah it is a loss. Which is not bad number for the type of game that is. It would have made a decent profit if they spend a million making it. It is retarded to waste that much money on a AA niche genre like blobber.I really don't know what that they were thinking.

Codex Year of the Donut
It sold around 100k-200k at best,so yeah it is a loss. Which is not bad number for the type of game that is. It would have made a decent profit if they spend a million making it. It is retarded to waste that much money on a AA niche genre like blobber.I really don't know what that they were thinking.
I'd be surprised if it even sold that many tbh.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd be surprised if it even sold that many tbh.
It sold around 100k on steam,if you add up the other platforms too,it should be around 200k.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Ahh i doubt that BT4 and numanuma flopped
TToN they admitted it flopped so hard, they were sitting on their asses in confusion -- they said so in so many words.
BT4's owners: between 20,000 and 50,000 according to steamspy.
Which corresponds with the number of backers...

To break even, there'd have to be 3-4 times more owners.

Both flopped, which is why Fargo even decided to retire, until Microsoft saved the day.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
TToN they admitted it flopped so hard, they were sitting on their asses in confusion -- they said so in so many words.
BT4's owners: between 20,000 and 50,000 according to steamspy.
Which corresponds with the number of backers...

To break even, there'd have to be 3-4 times more owners.

Both flopped, which is why Fargo even decided to retire, until Microsoft saved the day.

Fargo may have still wanted to retire, but you can't do that when someone buys your studio, it's likely in the contract to prevent the talent (yeah, yeah, try not to laugh) from leaving as soon as the studio is bought.

I suspect the success (with Microsoft-press-pushing as well) of Wasteland 3 might convince him to stay longer and dance a little more than dangling some M$ dollah dollah bills in front of him, Fargo seems more about positive rep than $$$.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Fargo may have still wanted to retire, but you can't do that when someone buys your studio, it's likely in the contract to prevent the talent (yeah, yeah, try not to laugh) from leaving as soon as the studio is bought.
There is no possibility for a legal clause in the contract to "prevent Fargo from leaving", because that's considered slavery even by our barbaric 21 century standards.

I'm sure if he leaves, he can't form another studio for 5 years or something to this effect, but nobody can force him to stay. He's staying because now he doesn't have to worry about going bankrupt 24/7.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't understand what's the endgoal of it, and what it changes anyway, since it doesn't add money to the studio.
They most likely spent a large portion of TTON budget on W2. Then W2 sales came in, they spent it back on TTON. The problem is that at some point they started a sort of a pyramid scheme I think, spending W3 budget on BT4. But BT4 flopped. Without Microsoft I don't know how they were ever going to finish W3 in a presentable state.

I don't understand what's the endgoal of it, and what it changes anyway, since it doesn't add money to the studio.
They most likely spent a large portion of TTON budget on W2. Then W2 sales came in, they spent it back on TTON. The problem is that at some point they started a sort of a pyramid scheme I think, spending W3 budget on BT4. But BT4 flopped. Without Microsoft I don't know how they were ever going to finish W3 in a presentable state.

That's not what a pyramid scheme is, it's just vanilla variety fraud.

Last edited:

zioburosky13

Educated
https://wccftech.com/inxile-big-aaa-rpg-could-be-steampunk-themed-according-to-these-images/

A keen-eyed ResetEra user may have uncovered the game's setting way ahead of any official announcement, though, by spotting a few Pinterest Boards that are managed by inXile developers Jason Anderson and Chad Moore. These Pinterest boards contain hundreds of steampunk-themed weapons, gadgets, fashion, and other Victorian-era inspired imagery. A coincidence seems unlikely, especially since both Jason Anderson and Chad Moore have worked on what can be arguably described as the prime example of a steampunk videogame RPG: Troika's Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Released back in 2001, the game enjoyed strong sales and critical reception, though the studio itself was eventually forced to close after the releases of The Temple of Elemental Evil in 2003 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in 2004.

Arcanum 2?

DeepOcean

Arcane
If they are doing a steampunk game, it is original IP, Arcanum is truly obscure even for people who like rpgs.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

2,3 Million views for an old game.

It's not a mainstream by any means, but i like to think it's not an obscure title atleast for a while.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I like Seth videos, he is crazy but informative, however to think Arcanum is well known based on his views is wrong, his Caves of Cud video had 500.000 views but I bet with you 99% of the people watch him reviewing any game because of the memes not because the games he covers are popular. Also assuming steampunk = Arcanum is a strange leap of logic. Also, if they are indeed making Arcanum 2, what make you guys think it will be better than Arcanum 1? Didnt you learn anything since 2012?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
While i agree on some points, calling it obscure is still wrong. The people may not know Arcanum is Steampunk RPG, but that doesn't matter. The point of Szeth video is people aware Arcanum name enough to generate a millions view and that's enough to not call it an obscure title.

As for Arcanum 2 i don't put a much hope on it, not a single dev in this industry (atleast on AAA side) had enough passion and creativity to create an amazing rpg yet flawed like that anymore.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom