Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat Mission: Shock Force 2

sser

Arcane
Developer
Delayed to September 1st as Slitherine could not get proper permissions from Steam.

Fucking classic :lol:

I'd love to be in on the phonecall between Slitherine and the old guys at Battlefront on that one.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
can't they just release it on the matrix games storefront today and give out the steam keys to anyone who buys it there september 1st. this shit is agonizing

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Doesn't Slitherine/Matrix still offer non-Steam versions of their games with just serial install keys? Why not just offer that version of Shock Force 2 and wait for the Steam version to come online later? I haven't bought games on Slitherine/Matrix in a while, so the serial key versions might not even be available any more.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't Slitherine/Matrix still offer non-Steam versions of their games with just serial install keys? Why not just offer that version of Shock Force 2 and wait for the Steam version to come online later? I haven't bought games on Slitherine/Matrix in a while, so the serial key versions might not even be available any more.

yes. i'm deeply frustrated that they aren't doing this

sser

Arcane
Developer
Just buy it off Battlefront. It's currently on "sale" though I suspect the price they have there is what they'd planned for the Steam launch. Any Battlefront purchases can be redeemed for Steam keys via Slitherine/Matrix.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
oh god i don't remember my battlefront login. i'll have to grapple with that shit if i wanna get it early; i remember i bought the original shock force years ago, along with combat mission: afghanistan. afghanistan is pretty underrated; battlefront developed it with apeiron helping out with campaigns and such

Removal

Scholar
looks like they released a day early
going to be interesting to see if Slitherine is going to completely handle the steam side of things, per skimming the battlefront forums seems like none of the devs are too keen on steam

sser

Arcane
Developer
The devs are starkly independent and always have been. They've only twice coordinated with other companies, one being Paradox of all people. The Slitherine deal is no doubt the biggest of them, though. I got the Steam version; will update later if there are any shenanigans like missing recent patches, FPS issues, etc.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
looks like they released a day early
going to be interesting to see if Slitherine is going to completely handle the steam side of things, per skimming the battlefront forums seems like none of the devs are too keen on steam

Battlefront is so bad that they think Steam is practically DRM-free pirating. And they won't even contemplate the idea of gog. Their concepts on copy protection are so buttfuck paranoid I'm surprised they're not demanding to only sell the game through an NSA firewall hidden behind 5 different VPNs and an airport body scanner.

Removal

Scholar
Ended up being a refund after dipping my feet in. Combo of setting, fighting the camera, various slow downs and stutters, microing, and a lack of a on-screen oob/quick unit selector killed it for me. Not a bad game at all, but not worth fighting all those things for the price they want.

Battlefront is so bad that they think Steam is practically DRM-free pirating. And they won't even contemplate the idea of gog. Their concepts on copy protection are so buttfuck paranoid I'm surprised they're not demanding to only sell the game through an NSA firewall hidden behind 5 different VPNs and an airport body scanner.
per Battlefront: "The first and most important reason is that GOG does not allow copy protection. That means our games can be freely copied by anybody and everybody. It takes only one person, just one, to buy from GOG and post it to a download site. One. And once it's up there it's up there for good. We'd likely be out of business soon after."
which I'm pretty sure is what they said about steam too

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
glad i didnt pay for this. Battlefront is the most boomer company around, and refuse to learn any new tricks. This runs like shit, looks like shit, still has the clunkiest UI and camera in the history of gaming (i know i know, its a "simulator" not a game :roll: ) and still has all the old bugs and bugbears of the original. Just awful all around. The only thing that has changed is it seems there is new blood on the battlefront forums that isn't cock slurping for a 2018 title running at 30 fps on high end systems as being totally acceptable because thats more fps than a movie!

Battlefront is one small company i'd absolutely love to see go out of business.

some funny shit

Scholar
Wanna see clunkiest UI and horrible performance? Try new Close Combat game.

As for Battlefront. There is nothing better on the market honestly. They are having a super niche product, one of its kind, that is good, far away from perfect, but you still can enjoy and play for many hours.

Sadly there is nothing else on the market right now and almost nothing on the horizon.

New Steel Panthers is coming in future but looking at new Close Combat :negative: it might be worse shit, not to mention that is vaporware for years.

Endemic

Arcane
Different games, not turn based and with no multiplayer.

You didn't mention multiplayer in your earlier post so I thought they were valid suggestions, in terms of "trying to be realistic combat simulators on a squad to battalion level".

I liked CM in the past but even then it had flaws - for example they simulated ammunition quality in a very crude way, to the point where shells of specific types (say certain Russian 85mm or US 90mm) would shatter frequently. I know wartime production wasn't the best but a platoon of T-34-85s not being able to destroy a Stug is silly.

Removal

Scholar
Black Sea and it's related DLC is coming to steam now so you too can now live the Ukrainian dream of joining the EU and NATO and finally being recognized as western euros. Per Slitherine and Battlefront they're shooting for releasing a game every quarter with Normandy next. Probably be the same $60 price point as SF2.
they should really just skip ahead to red thunder and fortress italy

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
aww shit now i can larp as a commander from donbass. i wonder if i'll be able to hire russell 'texas' bentley

Last edited:

Removal

Scholar
And it's out, without a discount surprisingly
also to a much more muted response

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
i've got a hot tip for anyone wanting to play combat mission: black sea -

don't play it with vsync enabled. you'll never go above 60 FPS anyway.

i thought my copy of black sea was haunted by stepan bandera's malevolent spirit until i disabled it. my performance increased dramatically after i did so. god i wish battlefront didn't optimize their games terribly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom