Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Gordian Nutt

Educated
I don't recall Dollarhyde having Game Director on LinkedIn. People would have gone mental here over that. However I think she had Lead Narrative Designer up at some point. Now she is listed as Narrative Co-Lead on the DLC.

Carrie started as the Game Director on November 2019. So she definitely did not work on the project for that long. Which means someone else was leading the project for some time.

Whoever was in charge DLC story was poor so it does not matter?

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Whoever was in charge DLC story was poor so it does not matter?

Of course it fucking matters, retard.

Not like Obsidian will fix it (the very case in point - they didn't fix it at all on the DLC, they just added a fuck-up dev to a fuck-up dev, combining two fuck-up devs to supposedly to prevent an already created dev fuck-up?), but at least we know what to avoid in the future when these mediocre wordhags brag about their amazing writing on a title... so we can avoid it.

Don't be dense.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Of course it fucking matters, retard.

Not like Obsidian will fix it (the very case in point - they didn't fix it at all on the DLC, they just added a fuck-up dev to a fuck-up dev, combining two fuck-up devs to supposedly to prevent an already created dev fuck-up?), but at least we know what to avoid in the future when these mediocre wordhags brag about their amazing writing on a title... so we can avoid it.

Don't be dense.

Your words hurt me so much

:deathclaw:

But I see your point and Obsiidian could fix it by not using or advertising those writers on their games but now I want to know if they are there to avoid them

Gordian Nutt

Educated
So when 50% is over they will sell for $60 - $60 does not seem like a good idea for the amount of content

Expansion pack for $30 also does not seem like a good idea for amount of content unless the second expansion is very big

Still they give the discount so that is something

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
As always in recent times: fukken lol @ that price. Competition is always good, hurr. Couple of years ago, in times of eveeeeel "monopoly", a game like this would have a base prace up to 50% (probably ~40%) lower and would already be discounted a nice, market standard -75%.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
I see the Nusudian audience is already at work downplaying the two star reviews on GOG.

j8rbnw.PNG

"Reeeee, it's slightly less shit than the average Bethesda or AAA game so it must get its cock sucked."

The worst part is we're not even in the fucking 7th gen era anymore. WE HAVE ACTUAL INCLINE FOR ONCE IN RPGS.

(oh also, tangentially related, anyone has that post of Avellone discussing the majority of New Vegas' staff being gone from Obsidian, I'd like to have a screencap of it for future reference?)

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
This gane is dogshit correct?

Well, it's not dogshit, but it definitely isn't the "old" Obsidian, which for me is a bad thing.

Mileage may vary, but it just felt like they were playing it safe and the companions were pretty forgettable, and the 1st DLC was a big nope, especially at the price they are selling it as.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Seems people on GoG and Steam still excited of this game.

I can see this game will become a cult classic in ten years whether i like it or not. At that time Triple A RPG become so bad that TOW1 is considered to be a masterpiece.

Yosharian

Arcane
I can see this game will become a cult classic in ten years whether i like it or not. At that time Triple A RPG become so bad that TOW1 is considered to be a masterpiece.

This game is already Obsidian most successful game in the past decade bot sales and reviews wise. 10 years from now we will be using TOW as example of the good old days of RPG.
No we won't. This game will be forgotten in 10 years.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
I want that to be true, but you can't guarantee that. Even this place will be unrecognizable in ten years from now on, i will not be surprised the game will receive a majority praise on the codex.

The past and present member will condemn it now but they will be long gone and forgotten either left or self eject.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It will be forgotten and then some normies will rediscover it and proclaim it to be a classic because it has better perks than Fallout 6.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Seems people on GoG and Steam still excited of this game.

In ten years time this will be considered crude and not woke enough.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously, the long-term legacy of The Outer Worlds will depend on whether it gets a sequel and how well that sequel is received.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
It will get a sequel, Microsoft saw a positive both from review and sales standpoint.

As long the majority outside Codex thinks the game and it's sequel is good enough. It will create a legacy.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's interesting they outsourced some of level design, not just art assets, for DLC to Black Shamrock. It's the developer of Paranoia CRPG and one of the studios under Virtuoso (which did Switch port and also some art outsourcing for the base game).

https://www.linkedin.com/in/carloazzari/

Conceptualising, designing and building levels and quests for games like The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerard-doyle-pf/

The Outer Worlds: Peril On Gorgon DLC
Lead Environment Artist:
The Black Shamrock studio was tasked in creating 3 large Interior spaces for the DLC: Peril On Gorgon
My role was to solely dress and light 1 large Interior space which was the OCI Facility.
I also worked on the other 3 interiors with the other artists and worked on lighting and dressing and making sure everything was up to task for each milestone right up to the end of the production from our side of the project.

Black Shamrock also worked on Grounded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom