Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
L2p9gCF.png
alignments required for mythic paths if someone is interested

Am I the only one who is more interested in playing as a Neutral/Lawful Neutral Necromancer (a'la Mortuary Cult from Warhammer) rather than a Lawful Evil Lich?

I’m curious about playing a neutral utilitarian Lich too but I’m uncertain about whether the choices will railroad you into evil for the sake of it decisions. I’ll probably try it out.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I’m curious about playing a neutral utilitarian Lich too but I’m uncertain about whether the choices will railroad you into evil for the sake of it decisions. I’ll probably try it out.

Not even utilitarian, but one who doesn't turn people Undead for selfish/cruel reasons. As in "I raise you to be a soldier once more and defend your land" rather than "I raise you for shits and giggles."

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I didn't realize lawful was (mostly) a pre-req for lich, honestly. I assume there's a lore basis for thwy they cannot be chaotic?

Johnny Biggums

Learned
I see liches (and vampires) as the aristocrats of the undead, and also becoming a Lich requires study, knowledge, self-control, emotional distance, etc., so makes sense to me. I'm interested if there's a lore basis too.

Shinros

Learned
I see liches (and vampires) as the aristocrats of the undead, and also becoming a Lich requires study, knowledge, self-control, emotional distance, etc., so makes sense to me. I'm interested if there's a lore basis too.

Tabletop wise, Lich's are any evil, but in the context of the game and what I've played I agree with this. Also, I think a chaotic evil character would just annoy your Lich master. Now the reason why Demon and Angel has so many alignment choices is pure gameplay mechanics, Angel and Demon are basically default and mirror each other. You need to pick a path, can't go without one. Angel is basically good and Demon is evil. So far, what I've observed from the Alpha and Leaks, trying to go against the grain within your path can lead to certain consequences. The path that is quite clear in this regard is Aeon at the moment.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
First playthrough is definitely LN/CN Tiefling Demon. For Class I am considering Bloodrager or ES.

Do Magus Spell Combat works with a natural weapon, say, Claws? I am thinking of doing spell-strike powered natural attack as a theme but not sure whether the game allows it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
are there any specific cavalry warfare weapons ingame, ie lances etc?

not in alpha, weapons are just normal type

some weapons and equipment do have mounted combat effects (e.g. in Chapter 1 I think there is Longspear that does additional damage dice when used by character in mounted combat).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
The demon path can be lawful? Also neutral? Angel can be non-good? Bizarre.

Mechnically speaking, the Angel choices are still mostly Lawful and/or Good, but as with any alignment choice, they move your character into certains axis. Choosing a mythic path doesn't necessarily force you to always use the Mythic based choice to solve your problems too which means it is possible to still do Evil actions when you are doing Angel Mythic Path, and vice versa, do Good things when you are Demon/Lich. Now consistently and always choosing your Mythic Path related choice will more than likely move you to the intended alignment and if you role-play your character seriously everything should probably work. Now the game is only halfway finished so I am not sure if there are consequences if, say, initially LN Angel (so you can take the Mythic Path) fall to Evil alignment later and whether the game will acknowledge it or not.

Narratively, usually picking the Mythic-Based choice will result in consequences unique for that Mythic Path but there are also neutral/non-mythic choices in most major decision point. I personally haven't done trial and error to find and compare tho.

Speaking of design, this "range" of alignment is needed to ensure that the player can move forward in the story without being locked out from Mythic Progression all0together. The choice of mythic after all is tied to mechanical action (picking them during level up) and having too strict of alignment restriction might result in a fail-state of some sort, namely can't progress in Mythic Level beyond Level 2 (mythic level 1 - 2 are neutral Mythic Hero path, altho you do get a flavor of choice on Level 1 it doesn't lock you out of anything). This is why Angel and Demon, both are default Mythic Paths that will always be available, have the requirement of only non-Evil/non-Good. You literally can't lock yourself out of Mythic progression.

Another design decision which probably influence this is probably to reduce the amount of complaints. Even during the KS there is no end of people asking question about being a "Good Lich" nevermind the implication of what Necromancy do is Evil in Pathfinder universe. By having a range of alignmet you allow certain degree of flexibility.

Narrative design wise, I think this is realted to the theme of each path as well, altho not always the case. For example, from what few Demon content is in the game (no Demon content in Ch 3 which where all the Mythic stuff happens), you usually has choice of "unleashing rage" or trying to suppress it with your willpower. This lead me to believe that internal route of Demon will be between being consumed by rage as per your demonic nature or trying to keep in check and use your evil power as needed to defeat your adversaries (anti-hero). This way I feel this is logical to have a Neutral or even Lawful Demon as strong discipline is needed to suppress your evil side. But this of course is pure speculation on my part.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
The irony being that the Koiné Greek translated “meek” has that exact sense of power under strong discipline in the original.

Disciple and discipline (obv) from same root.

Also translated gentle as in the English gentlemen who were at the time establishing an Empire on which the sun never set.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
FYI: New patch fixed a number of issues with Tactical Combat (like not being able to fight Purple Worms, Pathfinder not giving extra movement, etc.). I can finally get my Royal Court approval back up to 100.
The UI gives a bit more info in the Tactical Combat layer now, as well.

Milton’s Satan is a fallen angel.

Yeah, except in Paradise Lost they stop being angels. Literally and figuratively. I guess allowing for deviation to prevent the game riding on rails has some merits. It also seems that compromise is a strong theme in this adventure path.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Milton’s Satan is a fallen angel.

Yeah, except in Paradise Lost they stop being angels. Literally and figuratively. I guess allowing for deviation to prevent the game riding on rails has some merits. It also seems that compromise is a strong theme in this adventure path.

Do they?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom