Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
My best friend's a Nintendo fanboy. Huge Switch fan too. Been pestering me for years to join his camp. Refused to get a Wii, refused to get a Wii U, refused to get a Switch. Goofed on him for liking Nintendo games, he goofed on me for being a PC gamer, our relationship was just fine. Nintendo was his thing and that was that. Until now, goddammit. I ordered a Switch and 4 exclusives today. I finally broke. Scared to tell the man, it's gonna be awful, just awful. He's gonna overreact, he's gonna want to be all fruity with me I'm sure. Goddammit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nintendo consoles are always available via emulator one time or another, with much much superior features than actual consoles (still can't get over how gorgeous BOTW is in 1440p), so be patient. yuzu is looking good.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
My best friend's a Nintendo fanboy. Huge Switch fan too. Been pestering me for years to join his camp. Refused to get a Wii, refused to get a Wii U, refused to get a Switch. Goofed on him for liking Nintendo games, he goofed on me for being a PC gamer, our relationship was just fine. Nintendo was his thing and that was that. Until now, goddammit. I ordered a Switch and 4 exclusives today. I finally broke. Scared to tell the man, it's gonna be awful, just awful. He's gonna overreact, he's gonna want to be all fruity with me I'm sure. Goddammit.
shcTRa0.png
This is how I told him. It was the only way, really. He was somewhat fruity about it, quite a bit fruity even, but still, he wasn't all the way fruity like I feared. So good!

Well, I got an f'ing Switch. Christ. Started off with the big one, with Breath ov Wild. 'Object pop-in' will get some getting used to. Really obsessive about that on PC. Can't stand seeing ANYTHING popping in out of nothing, no matter how small or how far away. Here though, obviously I'm just gonna have to accept it. I'll try!

Gamezor

Learned
Anyone getting anything in all the sales / Black Friday stuff? I got Splatoon 2. I really like the fast load times and short matches. Matchmaking is crazy fast. I can't deal with the motion controls on handheld even though people say they are better and turned them off.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, I got an f'ing Switch. Christ. Started off with the big one, with Breath ov Wild. 'Object pop-in' will get some getting used to. Really obsessive about that on PC. Can't stand seeing ANYTHING popping in out of nothing, no matter how small or how far away. Here though, obviously I'm just gonna have to accept it. I'll try!

Lack of any anisotropic filtering is what drove me mad. It's already low res and shit, so turning the camera makes textures a super muddy shitshow. That said... game is fun. Only Nintendo games I like are the Zelda games really, and it's a good one. If I ever play it again though it'll be on PC through emulation.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Lack of any anisotropic filtering is what drove me mad. It's already low res and shit, so turning the camera makes textures a super muddy shitshow. That said... game is fun. Only Nintendo games I like are the Zelda games really, and it's a good one. If I ever play it again though it'll be on PC through emulation.

Ultimately had no issues with the graphics, everything just melted away. Finished Zelda, moved on to Fire Emblem Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3. Having a blast.

Though I did boot up Horizon Zero Dawn after the last patch, just to check if they fixed my obscure issue yet. They haven't. But just seeing that game in motion for 30 seconds or so almost made me fall out of my chair, it really did! It was shocking.

Oh, new Horizon patch! Time to get floored again real quick.

throwaway

Cipher
In case the switch is anyone’s main gaming device, I’m happy to report the following ports that might have slipped under your radar
Subnautica
Disco Elysium
Braid
Kings Bounty 2

Personally, after getting through the rather good Talos Principle I’m urging for something action-y that requires low commitment but has an engrossing world. I’m torn between the following
Skyrim (continue my early game save)
Breath of the Wild (3rd attempt to pick it up)
Dragons Dogma
Replay DarkSouls (if only the ported 2&3)
Pillars of Eternity (and hope it’s not unplayable)
Also have jank like Vampyr/OuterWorlds in mind but was hoping for something solidly good.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
In case the switch is anyone’s main gaming device, I’m happy to report the following ports that might have slipped under your radar
Subnautica
Disco Elysium
Braid
Kings Bounty 2

Personally, after getting through the rather good Talos Principle I’m urging for something action-y that requires low commitment but has an engrossing world. I’m torn between the following
Skyrim (continue my early game save)
Breath of the Wild (3rd attempt to pick it up)
Dragons Dogma
Replay DarkSouls (if only the ported 2&3)
Pillars of Eternity (and hope it’s not unplayable)
Also have jank like Vampyr/OuterWorlds in mind but was hoping for something solidly good.
Look into No More Heroes. First two games are on the Switch now and the third is coming out soon.

Repressed Homosexual
The Switch has been a good system, the best from Nintendo since the SNES.

But I am frankly getting tired of it because there are way too many shit indie games I don't give a fuck about.

It's the same problem as every Nintendo console since the N64: since only Nintendo games really sell, third parties only invest very little money in Switch games. Especially on exclusives. There are almost no good, polished exclusives. There is almost only indie shit.

The only good games that are not from Nintendo are almost all multiplatform. So if it's your only system, yes you can have a ton of fun with it. But why settle on inferior ports, shovelware and indie shit when every other platform is more powerful or better?

Unless you have a long commute every day or travel a lot, except for a handful of Nintendo exclusives, there really isn't much of anything both unique and really worthwhile.

It looks like a updated moving version of the old art for the game.

Switch_GnG-Resurrection_hero.jpg

vlcsnap_2020_12_10_20h31m25s935.png

gngcoverart.png
fca6875f38d2733be24d06e9e11e9e02.png
chohcoverart.jpg

Makes me even more interested to see how those those other remakes listed in the Capcom leak turn out looking.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are there any games in the trend of Onimusha or Ninja Gaiden for the Switch ? I'm wanting to get something adult-only and not too heavy on the RPG aspect.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought $140 worth of ebucks for $100 from Walmart. Digital delivery. That's Bravely Default 2 and Shin Megami Tensei 5 in the bag.

Do you agree that library-wise Switch is literally the WORST of Nintendo mainline consoles? They release just a few strong titles at the beginning and because it clicked, they just don't care anymore, All they do is selling WiiU/Gamecube ports,

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Do you agree that library-wise Switch is literally the WORST of Nintendo mainline consoles? They release just a few strong titles at the beginning and because it clicked, they just don't care anymore, All they do is selling WiiU/Gamecube ports,
Worse than the Wii U? Absolutely not. There was only a single game I wanted to play on the Wii U and the NA version was censored so I ended up playing the Japanese version on an emulator.

sser

Arcane
Developer

I've no problems, but my gaming market is mostly PC; so the Switch offers things I like, but in handheld form. Perfect example is Doom 2016. I bought it on PC, but when I got around my PC and gaming I just defaulted to the strategy games I usually play. So then I got it on Switch and beat the whole game in handheld mode while traveling. The catalog of games which fits this particular niche is gigantic so I've no complaints.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think the WiiU ports are understandable in the sense that the WiiU sold so poorly that it'd be silly to sleep on a whole catalogue of games that most people didn't play. And if they actually manage to sell now then their strategy was proven correct. I think it'd be better if they would've sprinkled in more unique releases between ports, but some of the games seem to be in development hell (Metroid, Bayonetta 3). Also a JP journalist reported that the new Switch Pro/whatever edition will be supported with some new game releases from Nintendo, though he said that they'd be exclusive to that hardware, similarly to how Nintendo made a few exclusives for the N3DS.

Otherwise I think the Switch has the best library that Nintendo has had since the SNES, IF we are only looking at home consoles and not handhelds. I mean, I don't really get how anyone could say that the Switch is the worst Nintendo console when the N64 and Wii exist. Gamecube and WiiU had good games but no one bought those consoles.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Switch is okay to me. I've played a decent amount of jrpgs on it. (The reason I got one in the first place.)

Citizen

IDK, I had wiiU and despite it having some very strong exclusives their amount just wasn't enough to justify buying a system. I loved pikmin 3, bayonetta and xenoblade chronicles X and had some fun with mario 3d world and kart. Other than that it just had no games. Did play botw because i'm too spoiled by pc gaming for 15 fps

I've no problems, but my gaming market is mostly PC; so the Switch offers things I like, but in handheld form. Perfect example is Doom 2016. I bought it on PC, but when I got around my PC and gaming I just defaulted to the strategy games I usually play. So then I got it on Switch and beat the whole game in handheld mode while traveling. The catalog of games which fits this particular niche is gigantic so I've no complaints.

So you guyz admit that core of people interest is portability of third party AAA/indie titles?

OK, so if it's main of reason of Switch still selling like hotcakes then no wonder Nintendo doesn't care anymore about decent amount of first party / exclusives - and that why I consider it worst NINTENDO console.

It's basically Game Boy Advance 20 years later, thanks to that and because of day 1 emulation.

At least we are getting SMT5 which will be obviously best geam of the decade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom