Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

RepHope

Savant
Obviously, the long-term legacy of The Outer Worlds will depend on whether it gets a sequel and how well that sequel is received.
Yeah if does end up kickstarting another franchise I could definitely see a strong legacy for TOW.
It will get a sequel, Microsoft saw a positive both from review and sales standpoint.

As long the majority outside Codex thinks the game and it's sequel is good enough. It will create a legacy.
It depends on if Cain & Boyarsky want to make TOW2 or a Fallout spinoff like New Vegas. Unless Bethesda vetoes the idea since MS is much more hands off these days and are pretty much letting Bethesda the publisher continue to operate as they are.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Of course it will get a sequel, it's as certain as the fact the first Pillars of Eternity was bound to get a sequel. And it's just as certain it's gonna flop, just like PoE 2.

That's what you get when you buy games based on what came before. People bought PoE as another Baldur's Gate, just as they bought TOW as another Fallout NV.

Sadly nobody wanted another PoE and nobody will want another TOW.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
No we won't. This game will be forgotten in 10 years.

Yeah if does end up kickstarting another franchise I could definitely see a strong legacy for TOW.

It depends on if Cain & Boyarsky want to make TOW2 or a Fallout spinoff like New Vegas. Unless Bethesda vetoes the idea since MS is much more hands off these days and are pretty much letting Bethesda the publisher continue to operate as they are.

Unless i missed something, where did you get the idea that Bethesda had a vetoes?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The assumption is that since Microsoft seem to be taking a hands off approach to managing their new studios and are allowing them to continue operating as if they are still independent units, they also wouldn't share IPs between them.

kreight

I can see this game will become a cult classic in ten years whether i like it or not. At that time Triple A RPG become so bad that TOW1 is considered to be a masterpiece.

This game is already Obsidian most successful game in the past decade bot sales and reviews wise. 10 years from now we will be using TOW as example of the good old days of RPG.
thats like the dumbest thing ive read in a decade dude

Stokowski

Arcane
I can see this game will become a cult classic in ten years whether i like it or not. At that time Triple A RPG become so bad that TOW1 is considered to be a masterpiece.

This game is already Obsidian most successful game in the past decade bot sales and reviews wise. 10 years from now we will be using TOW as example of the good old days of RPG.
No we won't. This game will be forgotten in 10 years.

I've already forgotten it. Wait ... what are we talking about?

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I'm considering buying this even though I'm pretty sure it's terrible, can someone persuade me not to buy it?

thanks

I keep staring at this thing on Steam and GOG but I honestly can not convince myself to get it after everything I have been reading about here on the Codex and other places and after what people I know told me about this game during online chats;

-The design is freaking half assed. Now using world spaces instead of a continuous world space like Bethesda has been doing its abominations is not such a problem as long as these world spaces are interesting, and they are not for many people who have been playing this. Exploration in general is not worthwhile because other than perhaps some additional pickups/items a player is not going to discover any interesting additional stuff that could take the game into a whole different direction. (like in for example Mask of the Betrayer).
And as you end up with shitloads of stuff halfway during the game even barter quickly becomes useless and unnecessary.
The design mentality into character builds, skills, equipment is not on any higher level either, the negative trait stuff sounds good on paper but does not work out that way ingame.
-The quest design is in general average. Little is asked of the player's own mental prowess or determination and drive to find less than obvious or alternative solutions. The game also guides you to play a particular type of character as doing the opposite feels barely rewarding at all, feeling more as if it was put in because people don't always want to play a goody two shoes rather than a viable alternative with a different ideological philosophical outlook.
-The writing in general is shit. Ignoring the SJW'ism/Muh social agenda that has been crawling its way in like with many games these days, the characters and quests are in general terribly written. The Board for example, the main authority who is responsible for the mess going on rather than competent and cunning is cartoonishly evil.

The game seems to be more based on an initial pitch for a game rather than a well worked out one. There is some potential and promise here and there but that is it, a basic foundation that did not get continued further.

I think the biggest problem with this game though is that it is pitched as a successor to FNV because of the developer studio's name (and because FNV was probably one of their biggest successes), something the head of the studio probably happily went along with.

Edit: as it was my birthday yesterday I had considered asking the Outer worlds as a birthday gift but I just can not make someone waste good money on getting me this game, especially when there are so many more better and more interesting things such as books.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm considering buying this even though I'm pretty sure it's terrible, can someone persuade me not to buy it?

thanks

I keep staring at this thing on Steam and GOG but I honestly can not convince myself to get it after everything I have been reading about here on the Codex and other places and after what people I know told me about this game during online chats;

-The design is freaking half assed. Now using world spaces instead of a continuous world space like Bethesda has been doing its abominations is not such a problem as long as these world spaces are interesting, and they are not for many people who have been playing this. Exploration in general is not worthwhile because other than perhaps some additional pickups/items a player is not going to discover any interesting additional stuff that could take the game into a whole different direction. (like in for example Mask of the Betrayer).
And as you end up with shitloads of stuff halfway during the game even barter quickly becomes useless and unnecessary.
The design mentality into character builds, skills, equipment is not on any higher level either, the negative trait stuff sounds good on paper but does not work out that way ingame.
-The quest design is in general average. Little is asked of the player's own mental prowess or determination and drive to find less than obvious or alternative solutions. The game also guides you to play a particular type of character as doing the opposite feels barely rewarding at all, feeling more as if it was put in because people don't always want to play a goody two shoes rather than a viable alternative with a different ideological philosophical outlook.
-The writing in general is shit. Ignoring the SJW'ism/Muh social agenda that has been crawling its way in like with many games these days, the characters and quests are in general terribly written. The Board for example, the main authority who is responsible for the mess going on rather than competent and cunning is cartoonishly evil.

The game seems to be more based on an initial pitch for a game rather than a well worked out one. There is some potential and promise here and there but that is it, a basic foundation that did not get continued further.

I think the biggest problem with this game though is that it is pitched as a successor to FNV because of the developer studio's name (and because FNV was probably one of their biggest successes), something the head of the studio probably happily went along with.

Edit: as it was my birthday yesterday I had considered asking the Outer worlds as a birthday gift but I just can not make someone waste good money on getting me this game, especially when there are so many more better and more interesting things such as books.

You did not miss anything of value, bro.

Did you play Pathfinder:Kingmaker or Solasta/BG3 early access?

and Happy birthday!

Gordian Nutt

Educated
It's interesting they outsourced some of level design, not just art assets, for DLC to Black Shamrock. It's the developer of Paranoia CRPG and one of the studios under Virtuoso (which did Switch port and also some art outsourcing for the base game).

Black Shamrock also worked on Grounded.

Paranoia: Wasn't Paranoia RPG suddenly dumped up for release on the Epic store with no warning or was that another title?

bec de corbin

Educated
It's interesting they outsourced some of level design, not just art assets, for DLC to Black Shamrock. It's the developer of Paranoia CRPG and one of the studios under Virtuoso (which did Switch port and also some art outsourcing for the base game).

Black Shamrock also worked on Grounded.

Paranoia: Wasn't Paranoia RPG suddenly dumped up for release on the Epic store with no warning or was that another title?

The opposite: it was an Epic exclusive for about a month and then vanished forever with no explanation

0zXfkpJ.jpg

7 RPGs in the top 10!

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
You did not miss anything of value, bro.

Did you play Pathfinder:Kingmaker or Solasta/BG3 early access?

and Happy birthday!

Thank you

And sorry but I just can't stand fantasy in general.
I have always been more into science fiction, space but also futuristic post apocalyptic.
Plus I have been reading some negative posts about Pathfinder and BG3 on the codex.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Plus I have been reading some negative posts about Pathfinder and BG3 on the codex.

Dude if you depend on everybody in Codex giving glowing recommendation about an RPG you would probably stop playing RPG altogether after 2005 or so.

Nearly every game in the Codex has flaws and will have people critique it. Underrail is one if not the only few exceptions where it is universally regarded as very good in the Codex.

Go to some pirate site, try it out yourself man.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The maps only get shorter and more corridor-y as you go on. Also you can get the best equipment about halfway through the game.

When I have been talking with someone on chat about The Outer Worlds I can't help but get a mental picture of Deus Ex Invisible War on my mind.
Is this an apt comparison?

Avarize

Magister
The maps only get shorter and more corridor-y as you go on. Also you can get the best equipment about halfway through the game.

When I have been talking with someone on chat about The Outer Worlds I can't help but get a mental picture of Deus Ex Invisible War on my mind.
Invisible War is much better.

kreight

I've been reading user reviews for this game on metacritic. The word that often comes up is this - 'mediocrity'. I agree.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

How bad it may be, Deus Ex Invisible war is better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom