Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
All of ya'll who "despised" or were "massively disappointed" by WL2 on launch should play the Director's Cut. Seriously.

WL3 is basically shorter, streamlined and consolised WL2 DC.
Which is funny, because the WL2 DC is basically a "streamlined" and consolized WL2.
Is nobody playing this anymore?

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
BG3 killed Wasteland 3 discussion. This is a BG fan forum now, Classic Codex would be spinning in their graves.
The real truth is that there's simply nothing worth discussing about Wasteland 3. BG3 is its own trash, but BG3 didn't "kill" Wasteland 3 discussion any more than it killed the Pathfinder: Kingmaker thread or anything else.

Aaakshually yes, to most of that. It was a p. thorough overhaul.

For me WL2 OG was 6.5/10 on launch but I'm fanboying the shit out of DC. I really think it's a genuinely great RPG.

Do you mind elaborating? Sincerely curious; I’ve heard bits and pieces about the DC being great but haven’t seen much beyond a comment here and there (followed by a scolding, heh)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Unsurprisingly, codex is a fantasyfag userbase.

WL3 is a great game. I'm mainly just waiting for the DLCs and next patches before palying again, as I've already replayed teh game 3-4 times with different builds. good times

Sinatar

Arbiter
Only a complete moron plays an inXile game at launch.

I'll play it when then super deluxe directors cut special turbo hyper fighting edition comes out.

Imrahil

Educated
That's a fair point. I didn't play WL2 until it'd been out for over 3 years. It was quite enjoyable by then, & I kinda I knew what to expect as far as gameplay. On the other hand, I started playing this one pretty much at release, mainly just because I had nothing better to play at the moment. But once I'm in, I'm in, so I'll say... it's pretty fun. But I do wish I'd had something better to play at that point in time so I could wait until the Director's Edition of WL3 was out lie a year from now. That would be the better approach.

Again, it's absolutely a fun game right now, & quite... acceptable. Decent varieties in chargen, good reactivity, ok story, half-decent itemization, meh companions, a lot of different ways you can approach the story. Nothing really to complain about; but also nothing really to praise. Still, waiting for the final release with all DLC's (I assume) is the better approach, I must admit. So that's my recommendation - a lot of gold here, but needs a bunch of polish to shine.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Finally got around to start this, and the first impression is it's way over the top, dumbed down consolised turd.
Having played the first Kickstarter Shadowrun game recently, can't help but notice stark differences between minimalistic yet efficient and eye pleasing system of Shadowrun and all over the show, clunky and non sensical system of WL3.

Like, how does sneaky shit even work? Everyone notices my ninja guy, can't sneak up on anyone for a backstab.

P.S. The voiceovers are pretty cringe... But that's party due to writing.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sneaky Shit only has a graphic illustration showing a back stab. It works with any weapon. Sniper rifles are good. Later shotguns are even better. But sneaky rocket launchers are the real deal!

Terra

Cipher
Just finished this today, ended up having to dial down the difficulty from ranger to medium halfway through as enemy sniper crits one-shotting most of your team on turn one got tiresome. Yeah, it's definitely unbalanced past a certain point on anything above normal difficulty, while normal became a cakewalk towards the end.

Way shorter than I was expecting too. It was a decent game, maybe a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me, excluding the bugs I encountered (and oh boy, there are still a bunch of them). Will probably end up a really solid entry if it gets some more polish through patches or and enhanced edition in the future. W2 definitely culminated in a bigger endgame & climax though; definitely felt like something was missing in this game, can't quite put my finger on what and I didn't even walk away from the experience unsatisfied either.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cluster Bomb is possibly the most OP power in the game. It deals like 1000 damage in a huge aoe. It does sucky damage for you because it scales of base weapon damage. And you use a shitty (albeit quick firing) Payaso Turret.
Switch to Fullborer or Rail Gun, then witness the power of the Cluster Bombs.

I also rather like the Magneto Cannon due to its cone attack and fairly low AP cost. Guess the Great Communicator would be even better, but no way I'm taking that rather then the Morningstar AI.

Calltrops are situationally useful, I agree. Shockwave decent in theory but not often practical, yes.

So regarding the mortar, Goat Launcher is pretty cool. Aoe stun? Sweet!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/10/w...d-classification-and-modified-before-release/

Why Wasteland 3 Was Refused Classification And Modified Before Release

wasteland-3-pc-1.jpg

2020’s thrown a lot of normal things out of whack, and one of those things has been the regular cadence of classification reports. So it’s interesting to know that for all of the 2019-20 financial year, Wasteland 3 was actually refused classification — and what the developers had to modify it to guarantee its Australian release.

The game was originally refused classification in late February — just before the COVID-19 pandemic — and it wasn’t reclassified until March 13. The listing on the Classification Board website says the game was first banned under the Games 1(a) clause, which states:

The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that “depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.”

Obviously, however, that doesn't really explain why the game was banned.

In the board's annual report for 2019-20, however, the Australians censors opted to go into detail over the ban. It was the only game refused classification in the 2019-20 financial year, out of 316 reviews conducted by the Board. And in the original version of the game, characters were allowed to smoke "Rocky Mountain Mousegrass", which was effectively weed:

During the game, characters are able to smoke a drug known as ‘Rocky Mountain Moosegrass’, which appears to be a strain of cannabis. The drug is denoted by an icon of a cannabis cigarette or joint in the player’s inventory that is accompanied by captions that attest to the cannabis-like effects of the drug. One caption features the text, “It’s like… man. It’s like a fresh mountain breeze. You gotta try some.” Another caption states, “Smoke to take the edge off. Like… way off.”

On selecting the item from the inventory, the sound of a lighter sparking is heard and the player character leans back, implicitly inhaling smoke. The player character then breathes out a plume of smoke. The use of the drug results in a positive effect known as ‘bouldered’ worth ‘1AP’ (Ability Point) being applied to the character, which is “usable in combat or exploration”. After using the drug, a text box appears on screen noting that the ‘bouldered’ effect lasts for 350 seconds and has a “strike rate” of +2%. These details are accompanied by the caption, “Hey man, like, just take the weight off, you know? Feel the world. Yeah.”

The board noted that cannabis/weed/marijuana wasn't explicitly mentioned in the game, but that "Rocky Mountain Moosegrass" was "a clear reference to the drug". "The name ‘Rocky Mountain Moosegrass’ is a clear reference to the drug and is accompanied by several signifiers that are obviously drug-related including the joint icon and the references to the cannabis-like effects of the drug – such as the resultant ‘bouldered’ or ‘stoned’ effect," the Board noted.

Wasteland 3 was subsequently altered to remove the "interactive use" of "Rocky Mountain Moosegrass", which allowed the game to be rated R18+ under the Australian guidelines.

This is one of the reasons people -- including the now-former director of the Classification Board, Margaret Anderson -- have been lobbying so hard to modernise the restrictions and clauses in the Australian classification system. The classification review has been completed and a report has been with the Communications Minister since late May, according to the Classification Board.

For their part, the Board argued that games should be classified under the same regime as film and literature (emphasis mine):

The Board’s submission therefore argued for the harmonisation of both classification categories and guidelines for all classifiable content, regardless of delivery platform, so that films, computer games and publications (or hybrids of all three) would be classified to the same standards whether they are broadcast on television screens, watched in theatres, played or read in homes, or streamed to or read on tablets or mobile phones. In the Board’s experience, it is highly desirable that there is a single set of guidelines for the classification of media content as we progress further into the 21st century. The distinctions between films, games and publications are rapidly eroding.

If implemented, such a change would resolve just about all of the issues most Western video games run into when being refused classification. More explicit anime titles probably wouldn't benefit from such a change, though.

Citizen

Didn't even know it was out lol, why is there no discussion here at all? Is it so mediocre codex doesn't even shit on it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Game Pass stats: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-surpasses-1-million-players

Wasteland 3 Surpasses 1 Million Players

Over 1 million players have ventured into post-apocalyptic Colorado with us, and we can’t thank you enough for the ongoing support.

We’re thrilled that so many of you have chosen to join us on this journey, and we love hearing stories about how you’ve navigated and affected the interwoven storyline. But we’re not done yet! We’re continuing to work on, add to, and improve the experience. We’re just getting started and look forward to sharing more with you in the weeks and months ahead as the Wasteland 3 story continues.

As a thank you, we’re releasing a short movie we shot a few years ago as a fun mood piece for what this frozen nuclear winter setting could look and feel like. We hope you enjoy it.

See you in the wasteland, Rangers.

Bah

Arcane
Is nobody playing this anymore?

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
BG3 killed Wasteland 3 discussion. This is a BG fan forum now, Classic Codex would be spinning in their graves.

From my perspective, there's not much left to discuss. I've already played and beat the game. Sure I can replay and try for different endings, but at this point I can already rate it as a decent game worth playing once, but not a classic. I'm unlikely to replay it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Over 1 million players have ventured into post-apocalyptic Colorado with us, and we can’t thank you enough for the ongoing support.

Game Pass doubters, I'm calling you out.

jackofshadows

Magister
Didn't even know it was out lol, why is there no discussion here at all? Is it so mediocre codex doesn't even shit on it?
At first it got surprisingly warm welcome here but once fanboism has dissipated, turned out that not much to discuss, indeed. It's buggy, clunky consolised mess of a game, batshit crazy mechanic wise, with the only redeemable quality as the narrative, all of a sudden.

Ivan

Arcane
Me after arresting Val and busting out of Gipper HQ guns blazing
3p1GmQ7nxg4Jqo2BIr0kmgQVBvdH7dXLAfu2EuhLpMmt-J3_1MaQXG7_S0nUL53NQTBG5FQLaS5lQT4ihTITiTs1bHvj11PCUuIlfhU

Me after seeing you can hold Ronnie hostage and bypass that fight
is-hr-evidence-based-are-you-kidding-me.jpg

Oh well, :killitwithfire:

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd imagine quite a few people either quit early like I did or avoided it because inxile games tend to have lot of technical issues at launch.
I'll play it again when it eventually gets an enhanced edition or whatever they call actual releases now.

Ivan

Arcane
Thoughts after 30+hours

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying the progression, the world design, and the character work. It feels like a much more cohesive vision than W2 (which really felt like a game of two distinct halves). My biggest gripe about it, aside from the common complaint of your armored dudes getting KOd in round 1, is that they removed manual skill use during exploration. One of my favorite bits of W2 was in sabotaging the distillery. Including manual skill use added a layer of point-n-click adventure game puzzlry that I was hoping to see fleshed out. Its removal from W3 makes the skill use feel automates (thank christ for the pass/fail usage though, fuck those skill cooldown bullshit from W2). So yeah, having a great time exploring this wacky post apocalypse. I also like that it's not a YUGE world, that there aren't many forced trash combat encounters, and most random encounters on the world map are EASILY circumnavigated.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is the KKKonsensus? How does it stack up to Wasteland 2? Did Mr. Ziets deliver?
I speak only for myself, but the game is fairly enjoyable. Edgy/silly, yes, but still fun. There has been some dumbing down, but the general package that is Wasteland 3 is more polished and enjoyable than Wasteland 2. (Note: Wasteland 3 is far from bug free!) The beginning of Wasteland 2 wasn't great, and it wasn't until you reached the second part of W2 that I started to think of it as a good game. In general, if you liked W2, I think that you won't find W3 to be overly offensive other than said edginess/silliness.

MuckMan

Learned
How is the KKKonsensus? How does it stack up to Wasteland 2? Did Mr. Ziets deliver?
I speak only for myself, but the game is fairly enjoyable. Edgy/silly, yes, but still fun. There has been some dumbing down, but the general package that is Wasteland 3 is more polished and enjoyable than Wasteland 2. (Note: Wasteland 3 is far from bug free!) The beginning of Wasteland 2 wasn't great, and it wasn't until you reached the second part of W2 that I started to think of it as a good game. In general, if you liked W2, I think that you won't find W3 to be overly offensive other than said edginess/silliness.
Thanks! At least this seems to be something by InXile to keep an eye on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom