Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Fantasy General II by Slitherine Games

Lagi

Savant
I launch for comparison FG1.

A big pros is the readability of main screen. Mountain, towns, river, road ... what a relief.
The bad thing is the view port and resolution, would be dope if I can see bigger part of map at once. Then mini-map would not be need then.
FH34262.png

I love FG1 for that straight from start you have access to fantastic units. There is no crappy starting mission with infantry only.
The game mechanics are solid. The single creature as unit avatar increase the readability. Feels artificial that all squads have 15 units.

there is lack of key shortcuts, and side button (gems) feels unorganized. Also I would add some quick unit display, if you hover mouse over them.

I personally dont like hex wargames, but FG1 is a very enjoyable experience.

Parabalus

Arcane
This is surprisingly good?

Seems like most of the scaling complaints in this thread have been patched out.

Feels like a proper sequel, with most mechanics being being minor evolutions on FG.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Near the end of the main campaign and it's been consistently enjoyable.

2nd expansion is out:

Apparently there's a 3rd coming up as well.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Post your map. Post builds.

Which ability is most OP and why is it Transmute Life?

Found a way to use the treasure map?

Post your lineup.

Post best summons (gatekeeper > spitting spider > horse spiders)

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
keeping enemies alive to transmute them later, also surviving by the a thin fucking thread xD
YRZQ1tA.jpeg

Also, why is the DEVOURER the squishiest fucking 500hp monster on the planet?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
The kinda interesting thing is that 4 wolves are probably better (more dmg per mana) than 3 horse spidders but you typically dont get to mass them like that.

Could 2 horse spiders in the woods take an eagle bear? With first attack (non ambush) and flanking bonus ... maybe?

pleease, its EAGLEBEAR

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Oh gee, its just gold from the treasure map... No need anymore. I was scouting all the islands on the dragon towers map lol. No way someone figures out the island in mist on the mission map is clickable...
edit
ooh purple armor that i also dont need anymore... should have googled it earlier...
edit
ooh, catapult with aoe that pissed me off so much hittig my archers! now im storming their capital with it, niiice

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
keeping enemies alive to transmute them later, also surviving by the a thin fucking thread xD
YRZQ1tA.jpeg

Also, why is the DEVOURER the squishiest fucking 500hp monster on the planet?

I'm on the same map as you - I seem to have a lot more imperials than you, found them to be the best option most of the time. The fire archers are rad.

You're playing an older patch, without the first expansion?

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Fitgirl repack when it came out, still with the enemy scaling to level and army size.
Burned out on the map before that particular map. Just right now finished the game. Played on Hard, ie 1 difficulty below max.

The Capital assault is not the last map. And I played super carelessley, lost bunch of NPCs and units.
But last map is not hard, it just looks like it.

Fire archers are magic damage right? Weird, I thought the magic damage is fairly bad overall because on High Difficulty the enemy morale is super high but not the armor.
So you face human enemy spears on the frontline and do no damage wtih 2 tiles range. Or enemy summon or other stuff with morale.

Horse archers with +1 range bow getting 4 tiles range worked pretty damn fine. 3 tiles range is also nice. Can get to enemy archers.

Magic damage, of course, works really nice on the hit-and-run max level stags (I had +25% magic damage rings on them too) to counter enemy undead monsters, mechanical monsters.
Also super hard to get liquid mana. I have 60 weaps and 12 armor and 9 liq mana.

In my lineup are the following mistakes (...experiments) that I see,
1. the sneaky green dudes, very weak, pointless perk of ambush - I aint waiting for the enemy on no map. I dont think there is much mission variety past early game. All of it is offensive. Their high armor pen is pointless.
2. the shield maidens and sheild axemen, they are nifty at some points early and midgame when you have places to defend, but when you face the empire with their tons of archers and catapults and even charging horses, these fuckers suck, even though the shield maidens break charges... So I guess they did their job early...
3. zerk dual wielders, too squirshy, werebears are better overall even though they have lower damage (need liq mana though) - then again zerkers have magic damage and are slayers which is a great counter to monsters and undead and casters. Still, would change to something else, just not enough hp. ( i heard the zerkers got rebalanced though...)

I had the +25% dmg on charges on the trolls. Trolls are super good in a lot of situations. But 2 supply points for each. Still, very worth it.

ENDING IS FUCKING SHIT

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
I experimented with a lineup of units that all are Fearsome and drop enemy morale by 1. It stacks.
But what happens when you surround enemies with your beasties is that they go from 4/4 morale to 3/3 and not 3/4.
So they drop down to say 1/2 and now you do the tricky-clever trick of actually moving away your Fearsome monster unit aaaand
the enemy goes to 2/3 -> plus 1 in morale and max. Instead of 1/3 whcih is worse. Which is bullshit if someone asked me...

Parabalus

Arcane
Fire archers are magic damage right? Weird, I thought the magic damage is fairly bad overall because on High Difficulty the enemy morale is super high but not the armor.

They do a lot more damage, especially vs undead. Archer with 2x rings almost oneshots the golems.

Fitgirl repack when it came out, still with the enemy scaling to level and army size.

Ye you missed out on flying units and something to dump the excess gold and others on. Not sure how much they rebalanced the campaign with that in mind though, I played on Legend with scaling off.

werebears are better overall even though they have lower damage

They got buffed with the expansion, since they were apparently were bad, got a new trait with +stats with each surrounding enemy.

Parabalus

Arcane
Is anyone playing the latest DLC yet? Think I'll get it on Friday when I have more time to play.
I am, but only up to the 4th mission or so. Feels harder than the base game, on Legend/no scaling.

Fun so far.

What of the new units? Any fun? Some new cool gimmicks?

Haven't seen too much yet, but the 3 new heroes have more interesting trees than the barbarians.
Otherwise there are new Trolls (can't get them yet) and non-Hero transmuters which you can get right away.

Mostly excited about the 'old' Empire machines, but that's probably a dozen more missions away.

Parabalus

Arcane
About 2/3rds through and this game has more C&C than some RPGs.

It's a huge step up compared to the base game (didn't play the procedural DLC) in both mission variety and difficulty. Also, the Empire is plain more fun and cooler than the barbs.

Felix_Carnifex

Barely Literate
Does anyone, or Lagi since you posted it, know where the larger resolution FG1 version of the game (see below) can be found? It looks like a module for Open General but I cant seem to find anything like that. Would love to play the game at this resolution.

I have the GOG version FYI.

True to the tradition of the original game, Fantasy General II is all about turn-based battles

Fantasy General 2 should :
  • have sky hunters & sky bombardiers
  • melee,skirmish,range (vs some no return fire) - this concept stay
  • be 2d
  • have bigger view port
  • t2akxzyx5dfu0d56g.jpg
    ls58lz331pp3t116g.jpg

• the combat mechanic should be more clear, better explained. include more things (facing,terrain...)
  • better UI - the side buttons are blend together. More key shortcuts.
  • as much as possible thing represent on screen - without opening temporary info windows (to check amount of wounded)
  • idea of wound / dead soldier and resting is nice - could be expanded.
  • Different amount of men in units, combine multiple peasant in one unit (like in heroes of mm 3) or split SkyHunters into 2 for more versatility. This need good study to avoid Doomstacks XOR tedious fragmentation = more work with unit moving.
  • i dont like the global spell casting. If there is spellcaster he should be on map (so i can kill him).
  • giving single magic shield item to the squad of men doesnt make sens (it protect only 1 dude right?)
  • could be nice if heroes (wizards, warriors,... apothecary) be an attachment to squads - like in Dawn of War 1.

Lagi

Savant
ls58lz331pp3t116g.jpg

this is only mockup sewn together from few picture in paint (not even done by me). there is no FG1 with higher resolution. IM HIGHLY INTERESTED IN PAYING FOR SUCH MOD:takemymoney:

I was searching for some open general mod, but i dont recommend the mods (i mean stuff like Kaiser General is great, just there is no decent Fantasy equivalent).
Antique General is the closest thing that is playable, if you dont mind the flashy white UI.

hey what happen to JP panzer forum?! there were few interesting things there

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm not really up to date with the original 5* series modding after OpenGen went into herpu-derpu-modders-at-work territory, but yeah, it would be really cool if FG got ported into Panzer General Forever, for example.

Felix_Carnifex

Barely Literate
Oh, bummer to hear that this is just a mock up. I got too excited for the prospect of a higher rez FG1. I would also pay some good money for a version like this.

Thanks for the reply though, appreciate it!

Lagi

Savant
is there any open source engine ala PanzerGeneral?
Open general is not so open (and some stats like range defense I perceive as redundant)
i find this https://github.com/nicupavel/openpanzer but you play it through browser, and its slow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom