Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Ialda

Learned
Chambara mode is neat, but who need new costumes when you already have the kunoichi project mod to play as a sexy ninja lass.

Black Angel

Arcane
Futility of Strenght mode.

Gimme a proper DLC dammit.
If they're not going to give us DLC(s) at all, or at least in short term time scale, the boss rush mode is the best thing to keep console peasants like me satiated until Elden Ring.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
People complaining about free DLCs...

The boss rush mode is a great addition. The best aspect of Sekiro are those intense duels. I hope they include the mid bosses also.

I have wanted this since the first time I completed the game.

Black Angel

Arcane

If they're not going to give us DLC(s) at all, or at least in short term time scale, the boss rush mode is the best thing to keep console peasants like me satiated until Elden Ring.

Ok peasant :)
I would like to buy the game on Steam to play it on my brother's brand new PC, but with the pandemic forcing him to take his classes from home and me still having to go to work since I'm in food&beverages industry, I wouldn't be able to play it on PC any time soon, even on the weekends where my bro's glued to his PC from dawn to twilight :negative: having said that, Ghost of Tsushima is really fucking cool, even though nowhere near as challenging and satisfying as Sekiro, so I got that going for me which is nice :dealwithit:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Ok peasant :)
I would like to buy the game on Steam to play it on my brother's brand new PC, but with the pandemic forcing him to take his classes from home and me still having to go to work since I'm in food&beverages industry, I wouldn't be able to play it on PC any time soon, even on the weekends where my bro's glued to his PC from dawn to twilight :negative: having said that, Ghost of Tsushima is really fucking cool, even though nowhere near as challenging and satisfying as Sekiro, so I got that going for me which is nice :dealwithit:
Have you already played Nioh and Nioh 2? They are awful, but can still give you that kind of "kick".

mk0

Learned
Have you already played Nioh and Nioh 2? They are awful, but can still give you that kind of "kick".
:timetoburn:
I haven't, but they're in my backlog. I also heard 2's better than 1.
You should try the first one, I guarantee that you will not look at From games the same way after you've played it. Leave the second one for later, it's too mechanics heavy to recommend to anyone who hasn't played the first one.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't, but they're in my backlog. I also heard 2's better than 1.
The improved enemy variety alone makes the second game a hundred times better than the first one (at least in my eyes), but you should still play them chronologically: if those games are for you, you will enjoy them both, so it makes sense to start from the one that's easier to learn.

In my experience, the Nioh series can be sort of a hit-or-miss: their take on the souls formula is "different" and you might love it or hate it. In my case, I enjoy some bits and despise others, but the stuff that I enjoy makes me want to keep playing these games. Some examples: the loot system and recycled maps were enough to completely ruin the game for a friend of mine, while the endless farming possibilities and builds variety made another friend of mine completely fall in love with it.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
the only thing nioh does better than DS is weapon movesets and more deepness to each weapon. ( too bad even this aspect is wasted since you mastering the 3 positions of the weapon is not required and you could spam the same move on certain weapons and complete the game). all the rest ( level design, enemies, loot, atmosphere) is ten thousand times worse than in soul games,
loot arpg system being the worst offender

p.s. still a good game, but inferior to souls

Silva

Arcane
You should try the first Nioh, I guarantee that you will not look at From games the same way after you've played it.
AngrySpottedEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You should try Nioh, I guarantee that you will not look at From games the same way

I played and love both.

Nioh is like a noisy, flamboyant, blinged up Asian street lined with delicious noodle stalls, bootleg CD sellers and scooter repair shops.

Sekiro is like a quiet, upmarket, expansive sushi restaurant headed by a legendary Japanese chef.

Both have their place in my heart.

Black Angel

Arcane
Because of extreme boredom and the fact that I only got a day-off per week despite my city being on a semi-lockdown due to continuous pandemic first wave and dangerously rising curve, I went back to Bloodborne on a whim. And let me tell you, I think I've been spoiled by all the QoL features and improvements Sekiro has.

If you really think about it, compared to Soulsborne games which preceded it, Sekiro is actually a pretty streamlined game. As a whole, the experience compared to From's previous recent titles was casualized, albeit still far away from outright dumbing down. While its own main gameplay mechanics has just as steep, if not more, learning curve, the very fact that you can't get a help from another player when dealing with boss fights, or even simple clues in messages (since it's a singleplayer-only game) is quite a BIG deal. And yet, in regards to noncombat aspects, like exploration for example, Sekiro is much, much easier compared to Soulsborne. Actual jumping mechanics AND actual stealth mechanics, instead of some convoluted means of doing so like holding the sprint button then press it again to jump, and walking instead of running to 'sneak' like in Soulsborne, significantly simplified Sekiro's moment-to-moment gameplay in comparison. It's really great that they weave it into one another, with how you can have your back against the wall or a cliff, or even hang on to a ledge to sneak around. And then there's the fact that you won't outright die if you fall off a cliff, instead losing chunks of health as a result. AND the fact that you could loot off ALL corpses around you with a simple holding down a button, instead of having to come up to each corpses one by one if they aren't piled up. Also, the fact that there's no stamina bar which commonly exhausted by sprinting and jumping also streamlined exploration. Unfortunately with all this streamlining and implementation of actual jumping and stealth mechanics, the amount and quality of the content they've made didn't really make it worth it for exploration in comparison to Soulsborne.

And also, I've been meaning to say this for a while, but genuine improvements From achieved with Sekiro that really spoiled me, is in regards to overall AI behavior and camera. I'm pretty sure many of you who've played this game for a while must have also noticed: more skilled enemies behaved alot like human players, or at least a pretty well simulated version of it. One example of this is how, in my experience of which too many to count but unfortunately I didn't capture in a clip, is how more skilled enemies would attempt to block/deflect at the *exact* same time as I do, because I attempted to attack at the *exact* same time as they do, but we both animation-cancelled at the same time. This kind of behavior is, as far as I know, the very first to appear in Sekiro. It happened so many times, and it never cease to amaze me.
As for camera, I know that even in Sekiro there would be times and places where the camera can kill you and me. However, just the other day I fought Bloodstarved Beast. One of his moves is a dash attack where he raise his right hand while crouching a bit, and then dashed in the direction of our character's right hand side. When I try step-dodging past this move, the locked-on camera would always, ALWAYS breaks. And yet, this very, VERY rarely happens in Sekiro. Even if some enemy do a dash attack and I step-dodged or jumped past it, the camera NEVER breaks. The only time it ever happens in Sekiro is when I was fighting Demon of Hatred, specifically his sweeping charge attack where you have to jump to dodge it, and DoH is largely regarded as an enemy/boss that should've been in Soulsborne instead of Sekiro.

Anyway, here's more ONGBAL video where he use some really niche set of prosthetics and combat arts:

When I try step-dodging past this move, the locked-on camera would always, ALWAYS breaks. And yet, this very, VERY rarely happens in Sekiro. Even if some enemy do a dash attack and I step-dodged or jumped past it, the camera NEVER breaks. The only time it ever happens in Sekiro is when I was fighting Demon of Hatred, specifically his sweeping charge attack where you have to jump to dodge it, and DoH is largely regarded as an enemy/boss that should've been in Soulsborne instead of Sekiro.

I've still lost lock-on way more time in Sekiro than I'd like, I'm pretty sure it was one of my complaints when I was raging about the game in this thread during first playthrough.

Black Angel

Arcane
When I try step-dodging past this move, the locked-on camera would always, ALWAYS breaks. And yet, this very, VERY rarely happens in Sekiro. Even if some enemy do a dash attack and I step-dodged or jumped past it, the camera NEVER breaks. The only time it ever happens in Sekiro is when I was fighting Demon of Hatred, specifically his sweeping charge attack where you have to jump to dodge it, and DoH is largely regarded as an enemy/boss that should've been in Soulsborne instead of Sekiro.

I've still lost lock-on way more time in Sekiro than I'd like, I'm pretty sure it was one of my complaints when I was raging about the game in this thread during first playthrough.
That's strange. The thing is, the one noticeable difference between Sekiro and Soulsborne bosses are the sizes; Soulsborne bosses are YUGE and tend to fill up 3/4 of the screens, so the moment they make big movements and we dodged past it the camera tends to break. Meanwhile, Sekiro bosses are mostly humanoids, so even if they move a lot the camera stays stable. Heck, I could remember clearly dodging Lady Butterfly as she flies left and right, and still the camera stays focused on her.
I guess that means they haven't really improved their camera, just that the sizes of the bosses is the real issue instead.

Black Angel

Arcane
In the aftermath of Purification ending:

I've always liked Divine Dragon fight. It's visually pleasing, but only after watching this video I realized the music really helped raising the mood, since DD's constant screeching distracted me from the music :lol:

Bonus:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom