Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gyor

Savant
When I mean is the worse, i mean in the scope of game hit/deflect/miss chance. If was up to me, I would have a OPTIONAL rule that after a miss, you get +5 to hit, so if you have 50% chance to hit, is impossible to miss 3x in a row. Missing 2 times in a row would only happen on 12.5% of cases(50%*25%) The same applies to enemies. But back on ToEE, I had a sorc with 7 DEX who at lv 3 managed to miss more than 20 times in a row when I was trying to rest, but when he hit, the enemy took so much damage that was satisfying.

Part of the appeal of D&D is to be a power fantasy(not only that but is one of the main appeals). I own a 175 lbf crossbow and love practice shooting with it. Now imagine the power to have a eldritch at will crossbow with unlimited ammo and no reload required, is even cooler than a IRL crossbow and that is Eldritch Blast(and BTW crossbow bolts are expensive, you can reuse a lot but eventually they break). If you make even low lv goblins able to sustain multiple shots of this eldritch crossbow, you kill the fantasy of having a cool power.

Relax, Swen has already said he is going to add a loaded dice option for folks like you.

Jaska

Novice
40 Hours in, 1 full playthrough and 2 halfway ones later and I really like what is there. There are many things that need to be changed/fixed though, like the horrible expression the player character makes. Overall the core gameplay and design are solid, I've always liked Larian's area design, I like the numerous skill checks, the variance I can have replaying in different ways, item design looks good and the story is promising. I don't really care for the cinematic approach, the romantic scenes and dream sequences are just uncomfortable atm. I'm looking forward to the full release.

Yosharian

Arcane
So I've been thinking about what my first party is going to look like, it looks like Wyll and Gale are suited for a Good-aligned party, am I right there?

Gale is a Evocation Wizard right? And Wyll is a Warlock who's pledged to The Fiend? Can you multiclass with these companions? So can I turn Wyll into a Warlock/Bard for example?

Are there going to be more companions cos I'm not impressed so far

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are no alignments, so who is "good" or "evil" is a personal judgement. But yeah, there are going to be more companions, including Minsc.

Harthwain

Magister
So I've been thinking about what my first party is going to look like, it looks like Wyll and Gale are suited for a Good-aligned party, am I right there?

Gale is a Evocation Wizard right? And Wyll is a Warlock who's pledged to The Fiend? Can you multiclass with these companions? So can I turn Wyll into a Warlock/Bard for example?

Are there going to be more companions cos I'm not impressed so far
If you mean Early Access, then here is a warning:

• BG3 Early Access Warning: Not all Classes will be available at the start of early access, but all classes will be in the game at launch of the full game. Multiclassing is not available on release of the early access version.

Yosharian

Arcane
There are no alignments, so who is "good" or "evil" is a personal judgement. But yeah, there are going to be more companions, including Minsc.
I know that but from what I've read Shadowheart is a cold bitch and is built terribly anyway, plus the romance looks to be cringe as fuck, and Lae'zal or whatever her name is is a Githyanki so of course she'll be a fucking psychopath, and I'm not interested in having a vampire around, so that leaves Gale and Wyll.

Who look terribly boring honestly.

Man these companions suck. Can we make a team of four custom companions?

Vatnik Wumao
I know that but from what I've read Shadowheart is a cold bitch and is built terribly anyway, plus the romance looks to be cringe as fuck, and Lae'zal or whatever her name is is a Githyanki so of course she'll be a fucking psychopath, and I'm not interested in having a vampire around, so that leaves Gale and Wyll.

You'll have mercenaries available on full release.

Yosharian

Arcane
BG3 wiki on Half-Elf:

This is wrong, right? You can only put one point in each of the abilities, not spend them 'as the player sees fit', right? Or can you put 2 points in STR for example? If so that's OP as fuck

Edit: apparently the wiki is wrong, it's a max of +1 in a given attribute as it should be, oh well

Last edited:

Eastwood

Educated

Larian said they picked evil/morally ambiguous companions for early access because they wanted players to try out evil playstyles.
So there's gonna be more good aligned companions in the full release. I assume there will be a companion for each class.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love how "evil" is synonymous with asshole or not forthcoming in this conversation.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Was there some update released recently? I'm getting crashes to desktop just a bit after loading autosave...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There's no one-step alignment requirement for worship in 5e

Yep. You can be a cleric of a lawful good deity and a warlock which learns magic from a chaotic evil demon in the same character.

Sickle is 2d4 and Scimitar is 1d6 ? 5e is completely retarded.

Against plate armor, an sword and an mace are equally effective on dealing damage since 3e...

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Is there any way for me to see what the crashes are about? Can only send stuff to Larian, but can't find them myself.

Three different saves, crashing soon atter on all of them. :(

Have to see how it handles new game still.

Codex Year of the Donut
Is there any way for me to see what the crashes are about? Can only send stuff to Larian, but can't find them myself.

Three different saves, crashing soon atter on all of them. :(

Have to see how it handles new game still.
try launching it from the commandline, it might output something

Harthwain

Magister

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom