Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Outer Worlds released on Steam and GOG

Naraya

Arcane
You give them too much credit. Maybe they just really want to get the BAFTA award :M

https://www.bafta.org/sites/default/files/uploads/baftabfidiversitystandardsforgames2021pilot.pdf
zifg0Wz.png

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
He has over 30,000 followers on twitter, just 10k fewer than Avellone.

And? There are random instagram "celebrities" who have ten times more followers than that, what is this supposed to prove? That there are 30k potential RPG buyers & players out of millions of them? Like I said, nobody outside this forum really cares, Chris Avellone was a "selling point" for some games and still those games managed to disappoint both an average Codexer and those who are not.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Absurdly false, the mary sue always has "weaknesses" as in supposed character flaws to make her interesting when in fact none of these weaknesses matter for the character, the setting, the story or has any implications that are negative for the character. The fact is that she is as "badass" as she is, even if she is drunk. It simply does not matter.

It matters enough that someone like me will choose not to take her as a companion, and will therefore willingly miss some content tied to said character. That is a far greater "choice & consequence" than the ones which rely on the player being a tasteless zombie who will swallow just about any character arc, story and quest related to them. I didn't like the character from the beginning, and hence I did not care enough to endure whatever the game has to offer with said character - I am playing the game after all, I expect to be entertained. So yes, her personality does actually matter.

I mean thats the whole game, Vicar max is the best character and his aggressive streak at least has *some* form of interesting moral hook on it but otherwise there is simply nothing of substance in the whole game.

Ah, "Vicar" Max whom I loathed and told to fuck off, leaving him on a dying colony. His two-dimensional forumalic character - an arrogant "cleric" who thinks himself above peasants - is a story told numerous times already in countless RPGs and I had no intention of enduring any more worthless and idiotic "metaphysics" or "philosophy" or "theology" that said characters love to elaborate about at lenght. He was presented, quite literally, as a corporate NPC with a dash of religiosity, but was wasted on how completely oblivious he was to anything not related to his (corporate) ideology. Not that this disproves you, I just found him irredeemably predictable and boring from the start, so I dismissed him outright.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. Yeah not a lot of diversity there. Is the game modable/possible sandbox? Are NPCS in this graphic deparment hard to create? I get the feeling this is more of a hub scenario type game rather than free open world and go where you want.

There will be only one more DLC in 2021. I never played FO3/Vegas nor Mass Effect. Last game i played full first person was Hellgate London & Aion. (Shroud of avatar don't count as i made alt and quit).

etc etc youtube. Should i just play THIS instead?

Speaking of companions; I take it they perform better than say... the Dai-katana nightmare?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Thing is, I'm sure there is gameplay underneath but these repugnant faces are so distracting that I can't even think of anything else. the title of the game should be "Planet of the repressed lesbians" or something. And I'm sure many young men of this generation will eventually turn gay because of this game. Maybe that's the whole point of it, make more people gay by non-stop showing them images of undesirable women in their videogames. It's the exact mirror image of anti-gay education, with the aim of reducing population growth.
The fact is, if you are a man, heterosexual and still pay money for this kind of gay gaming you are nothing but a moron. And actual gays would prefer to see more sexy young men, not repugnant women, so there is absolutely no point in this for anyone. The only people who could love it are unattractive women who want to see other women uglier as themselves, while men are forced to love and subvert to them all the same.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I never played FO3/Vegas nor Mass Effect.
Play New Vegas instead of this. It's a much better designed and written game.

This game really is incredibly dull. I played it for a while last year before quitting after some ship crashed on the big planet - maybe a third, or halfway in? I didn't quit because of something I disliked. I quit because I had no more interest to keep playing. I put it down one day with the intention to continue, but I never did.

I didn't care for the world. The idea that corporations own everything and everyone is an advertisement-spouting drone was funny at first, but it really gets old quickly. You can kill anyone you want and still beat the game, which is a great design. But you know another game that allows you to do that? Fallout: New Vegas, and that game isn't filled with retarded NPC's repeating the same joke over and over again. In New Vegas, NPC's offer an interesting view into an interesting world.

From what I remember, the combat mechanics are slightly better than New Vegas. For example, monsters run away when shot at if they can't reach you, to prevent cheesing. But it's still duller. I was fast enough to run past all melee monsters I met making them a joke, whereas in New Vegas you're outrun by monsters such as Deathclaws, Cazadores and Nightstalkers and as such they challenge low- to mid-level players.

And in New Vegas you have tons of different ammo types, making for interesting gameplay. You don't waste your six .45-70 Gov't rounds on a Radroach. In The Outer Worlds, there are only three ammo types meaning it's essentially universal ammo. You'll never find grenades for your grenade launcher, you'll find "Heavy Ammo" which is also used for your hunting rifle and revolver. It's ridiculous.
To make matters worse, you're showered in ammo and I had thousands of every ammo type from playing the game normally without grinding.

As for the weapons themselves, they are all leveled. So you find a tier 1 Hunting Rifle at the start of the game. Then in the next area you find a tier 2 Hunting Rifle, which is the same except it deals more damage. Wow!!!
In New Vegas, you can upgrade some weapons but only slightly. The Hunting Rifle is always gonna be the Hunting Rifle, it'll never deal 10 times the damage it once did. This makes weapons in New Vegas feel unique and worthwhile, while in The Outer Worlds you're left with an interchangable and dull %WEAPONNAME%.

In short, the game is very similar to most Marvel movies: Dull, mediocre and unfunny.

PrettyDeadman

So people who got really excited after Microsoft bought bethesda and were shouting NEW VEGAS 2 or even Van Buren finally possible!!! YAY!!! Well...... Outer worlds showed what nowadays obsidian are capable of, there will not be a proper NV 2 or any other DECENT RPG from obsidian ever again. Amen. (Christ, even tyranny or POE 2 seem like rough diamonds compared to that turd)

I liked Pillars of Eternity 2 and Tyranny a lot. They were the last gasps of old Obsidian.

The Outer Worlds and Grounded are nu-Obsidian, all creativity gone. It's not even a zombie, a zombie at least has a vague resemblance of what used to be.
POE 2 was already pretty much "nu obsidian" with reduced party size, grotesque amount of SJW and strong independent women, tedious, mediocre writing, really small dungeons and an epic main plot which was ............ 4 quests long. But graphics looked really pretty, cant deny that.
4 characters is the optimal party size for a turn-based crpg.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Bah! I guess I'm a flaming faggot now. I bought it and the season pass. Along with some pumpkin dude 3D platformer (i like to play at least 1 halloween game a season).

Fuck my retardness
:mixedemotions::mixedemotions::mixedemotions::mixedemotions::mixedemotions:
faggot in no time flat.....

and watch me forget i have it...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There is literally zero reason to buy this since its already been cracked.

Anyone who throws money at this game has no right to complain about the state of gaming anymore.

Mech

Cipher
I never played FO3/Vegas nor Mass Effect.
Play New Vegas instead of this. It's a much better designed and written game.

This game really is incredibly dull. I played it for a while last year before quitting after some ship crashed on the big planet - maybe a third, or halfway in? I didn't quit because of something I disliked. I quit because I had no more interest to keep playing. I put it down one day with the intention to continue, but I never did.

I didn't care for the world. The idea that corporations own everything and everyone is an advertisement-spouting drone was funny at first, but it really gets old quickly. You can kill anyone you want and still beat the game, which is a great design. But you know another game that allows you to do that? Fallout: New Vegas, and that game isn't filled with retarded NPC's repeating the same joke over and over again. In New Vegas, NPC's offer an interesting view into an interesting world.

From what I remember, the combat mechanics are slightly better than New Vegas. For example, monsters run away when shot at if they can't reach you, to prevent cheesing. But it's still duller. I was fast enough to run past all melee monsters I met making them a joke, whereas in New Vegas you're outrun by monsters such as Deathclaws, Cazadores and Nightstalkers and as such they challenge low- to mid-level players.

And in New Vegas you have tons of different ammo types, making for interesting gameplay. You don't waste your six .45-70 Gov't rounds on a Radroach. In The Outer Worlds, there are only three ammo types meaning it's essentially universal ammo. You'll never find grenades for your grenade launcher, you'll find "Heavy Ammo" which is also used for your hunting rifle and revolver. It's ridiculous.
To make matters worse, you're showered in ammo and I had thousands of every ammo type from playing the game normally without grinding.

As for the weapons themselves, they are all leveled. So you find a tier 1 Hunting Rifle at the start of the game. Then in the next area you find a tier 2 Hunting Rifle, which is the same except it deals more damage. Wow!!!
In New Vegas, you can upgrade some weapons but only slightly. The Hunting Rifle is always gonna be the Hunting Rifle, it'll never deal 10 times the damage it once did. This makes weapons in New Vegas feel unique and worthwhile, while in The Outer Worlds you're left with an interchangable and dull %WEAPONNAME%.

In short, the game is very similar to most Marvel movies: Dull, mediocre and unfunny.

This hits the nail on the head. I also got maybe half-way through it and just stopped playing for the exact same reasons. Its an exploration game, but with literally no motivation to do so once you get past the first couple areas.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't like games that deliberately make their female characters ugly. It sounds like a stupid reason not not buy a game but there it is.

You're not being specific enough. Allow me to elaborate.

"Strong" (i.e. condescending and obnoxious), militantly unattractive women characters of at-best ambiguous sexual orientation sporting brightly-colored hairdos that look like they were accomplished using a weed trimmer are infallible indicators that there are turbo-progressive hyper-feminists parasitizing the game's development staff.

This in turn is an infallible indicator that all potential creativity and innovation has been crushed out of that development team. When you have to spend most of your energy making sure to 1.) include "everyone" (i.e., blacks, Muslims, Mexicans, and homo/transsexuals; good luck finding Native Americans, Mongolians, Peruvians, etc.), 2.) not offend anyone (except white people and Christians), and 3.) ensure that there is plenty of one-dimensional progressive pulpit-banging throughout the game and to simultaneously portray all dissenting viewpoints as villainous... well, you just don't have much energy left to innovate or create.

(Of course, the SJWs on staff are incapable of being creative or saying anything interesting in the first place, but the point is that they drag the rest of the team down to their level.)

I mean, Obsidian circa the 2000s was certainly comprised almost entirely of persons holding left-wing political views, but they were far less radicalized and infiltrated back then, and so were still capable of producing creative and interesting output. Even Josh's self-insert (Arcade Gannon) in New Vegas was enjoyable and entertaining, even a bit self-aware and self-satirizing.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was watching and reading the interactions and even gman mentioned there is NO player romance at all. That definitely seems quirky when BG3 and others are touting all this romance shit. Again, never played mass effect but i hear tapping ass is a thing there.

Immediately I go to look at the mod community but its sparse and i got distravted by some hot TES:Arena project mods. Hmmmm... I haven't even dl'd it.

Its slipping away and gonna drown into the obscurity of my gog dls..

x5mLKTR.jpg

hmmm i should play a few of these..... but my Steam account has a long way to catch up. Need more cheap sales.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh... I prefer cordless.

ST80L00_A_1.jpg

80V CORDLESS 16" CORDLESS FRONT MOUNTED STRING TRIMMER

This sucker really slices through the weeds and small brush. Pretty thick line and batteries can be changed out with ease like reloading a weapon.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Makita string trimmer in my picture is cordless. However, it's a lighter-duty trimmer compared to that Greenworks model.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RU03Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Trimmer/dp/B07BXYSXSJ

I live in the country and work at a hardware store, so I know a thing or two about trimmers as well as the national American pastime: lawn care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom