Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Machines: Wired For War

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Anyone heard/tried this game? Basically it's an RTS game in which also you can control any unit on the battlefield by yourself (FPS mode). It's a game forgotten by the history and I've search RPG Codex and apparently no one mentioned it. I've heard it was really ahead of it's time so I thought it would be good to at least mention this game in here.

Machines_Coverart.png

In theory it reminds me of Sacrifice (also RTS and you could "directly" control unit on the battlefield), but I didn't play this game yet.

A little video:

Rake

Arcane
Play it and post impresions. If it's anything like Sacrifice, i want want want

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow... there really are some games that have aged very, very poorly.

I couldn't bear looking at it, even if the gameplay was brilliant (no idea). I'd rather play some more Dune2000 or C&C1.

index.php

Arcane
Classic 3D RTS 'Machines: Wired for War' goes open source under the GPL
By Liam Dawe - 22 October 2020 at 10:10 am UTC | Views: 1,394

Machines: Wired for War is a true classic 3D RTS from the late 90s, and it appears to now be open source under the GPL and up on GitHub. This was in the list of actually being one of the first proper 3D games of the genre, although not as well known as many other RTS games.

Back in 2019, one dedicated fan posted on their website about how they managed to grab a copy of the source, update it a bit and port it to modern platforms (Linux included). The actual rights to the game appear to sit with Nightdive Studios now, and they appear to have given the greenlight on open sourcing the code from that same fan which they've now listed on their own official GitHub.

Nice to see another bit of gaming history not being forgotten, open source is a truly wonderful thing for game preservation. Surprisingly, the original website for it remains online, which is like looking into a time machine itself.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Oh man, I remember this game kicking my ass back in the day. And its soundtrack being pretty kick-ass too, even if it got repetitive after so many missions.

Inspectah

Savant
RTS/FPS hybrid is something I always figured would be dope, but with the exception of Natural Selection Just really never seemed to evolve. Are there any games like It that you guys recommend? Preferably single player, mind you

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Play it and post impresions. If it's anything like Sacrifice, i want want want
Its not like Sacrifice. I'd compare it more to Uprising when played in FPS mode. On an RTS level it plays similar to Metal Fatigue but without the space, land, underground mechanic - But you can play as a unit.
For an early 3D RTS though it was really fun and impressive. It has aged poorly but I find its visual style very attractive. It has that early 2000s late 90s 3DFx look about it which I just love. There's just something about muddy textures I dunno.

One thing for the time that was impressive was that you could enter some of the buildings.

lightbane

Arcane
A blast of the past indeed. I remember this being spoken of having a sequel or expansion, but it didn't go anywhere.
I liked how the story mentioned in the manual implied humanity either died off, or forgot about the first batch of explorer machine ships and sent another, which eventually causes a galactic war between two identical factions.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
RTS/FPS hybrid is something I always figured would be dope, but with the exception of Natural Selection Just really never seemed to evolve. Are there any games like It that you guys recommend? Preferably single player, mind you
Battlezone

This.

Also try Urban Assault and someone mentioned Uprising in passing too.

Granddaddy of all these is of course the immortal Carrier Command.

BTW, still have my Machines CD's somewhere. good game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom