Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
- sometimes the Rogue doesn't correctly apply sneak attack damage on AoOs;
- where the fuck is the "loot all" button?

I haven't played enough to say for sure but rogues in 5E only get sneak attack damage once per round, so I assume that's why. The loot all button is at least sometimes there.

Bara

Arcane
In previous D&D videogames, Protection from Evil was a spell that you threw on your characters without even thinking about it; here, it's a spell that solves an entire encounter.

That's really awesome to hear that they're letting spells have a lot more interaction with the world and encounters like the table top game rather than just static pluses or minuses and does more than just the bare bones of elemental spells setting or putting out fire and what not.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I haven't played enough to say for sure but rogues in 5E only get sneak attack damage once per round, so I assume that's why. The loot all button is at least sometimes there.
Rogues get a sneak attack per turn, not round:

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon.

During a round, each character takes a turn. This means that you can get a sneak attack with your action in your turn, and then another one with an AoO during an enemy's turn. This is why rogues and battlemaster fighters work so well together (they can make the rogue attack with his reaction any time they want).

I see the "loot all" when I'm looting a body, but no "loot all bodies at the same time" button.

Mortmal

Arcane
It requires advantage to trigger, usually if you dont get advantage you get it with any party member or even a familiar 5 feet near, high ground should give it too . So it should not trigger all the time in an AOO but its indeed once per turn, not once by round, its not working then else you would see it happen . There's lot of small details like this , the flaming sphere is not working exactly like it should either, you are supposed to ram it into the enemy , but there you can only use the move action or attack with it. usually you place it near a foe, if he ends its turn next to it , he risk taking damage, so they move and can chain trigger many AOO.
The whole darkvision is different too, but we were warned before, human is really not so good since no variant human. At least its easy to get light sources.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Is Attunement in the game at all? I haven't found any items that need it yet.
There's a ring of protection somewhere in the tower, but I'm not sure where. When you have an item that requires attunement in your inventory, the "attune items" action becomes available during short rests (provided that you identified them).

Just remember to cast Detect Magic as a ritual every once in a while, otherwise you might miss certain magic items.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
They should have stuck to the dungeon crawler they originally meant to do. A town where you can sell and buy stuff would be cool, something like IWD. Why did they ever change that? I assume a bunch of people complained or asked for it.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Just finished my second playthrough. The game is amazing, despite being a bit too easy. You absolutely have to self-impose a limit on long rests though, otherwise you might as well play with an invincibility mode on. I see why they need to give the chance to inexperienced players to rest multiple times, not every game can (or should) be KotC 2. My only serious complaint is that the encounter where you play as the high-level hero against the endless horde of enemies goes on for too long, but maybe that's because my hardware doesn't satisfy the minimum requirements (the flying not-orcs take very long turns). That's the only encounter I'm not excited to face again in my next playthrough (that I'm starting right now).

If only they hadn't felt the need to waste resources on aspects that range from completely pointless to actually detrimental to the enjoyment of the game, it would be a 10/10 in my book. Sometimes the "exploration" just translates to pressing ALT, clicking on the shiny object, and then staring at the characters while they traverse an environment full of pointless jumping and crawling. It's not like anything can happen during this process, it's basically a mini-cutscene that you have to sit through periodically. The zoomed in hit/miss animations during combat are useless, just let me disable them (it that's what disabling the option "Focus camera on battle actions" is supposed to do, it's not working for me).

Other (very) minor complaints:
- Cunning Action requires an extra click without any comprehensible reason;
- every time you interact with an object you have to stare at that dumb animation of the guy moving his hand forward, WHY?
- the inventory is a bit bugged, and clicking on the "on the ground" slots selects items in your own inventory (they forgot to set the bottom part of the inventory as non-interactable in Unity);
- after every level up the game sometimes changes all your prepared spells;
- identifying items is needlessly complicated and time-consuming, just give me the option to identify everything with a single click;
- certain features (the ring of protection, the Paladin's Channel Divinity: Sacred Weapon) don't work as intended, but that's to be expected from a game in early access. All in all, most of the game works surprisingly well.

This might sound like a very negative rant, but I really love this game. The story is what it is, but the adaptation of the ruleset is so fucking good. I bought it with no expectations whatsoever, and it surprised me so fucking much. Being 5E, the system obviously is very simple, but it works incredibly well. In previous D&D videogames, Protection from Evil was a spell that you threw on your characters without even thinking about it; here, it's a spell that solves an entire encounter.

Was playing the game last night - isn't it on the bottom right?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
They should have stuck to the dungeon crawler they originally meant to do. A town where you can sell and buy stuff would be cool, something like IWD. Why did they ever change that? I assume a bunch of people complained or asked for it.
The game by and large is a dungeon crawler with a town where you can sell and buy stuff.

Harthwain

Magister
Yep. I don't get why so many people believe that this puzzles demand intelligence.
Isn't that how scientists prove animals' intelligence? By making them solve a puzzle?

That's really awesome to hear that they're letting spells have a lot more interaction with the world and encounters like the table top game rather than just static pluses or minuses and does more than just the bare bones of elemental spells setting or putting out fire and what not.
I remember the spiders from the demo being afraid of the light. Plus you remove the disadvantage you get when trying to hit something in the shadows. This makes light spells actually useful.

The game by and large is a dungeon crawler with a town where you can sell and buy stuff.
I always thought dungeon crawlers should be their own subgenre.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
It was going to be even more of a dungeon crawl though, with even less of a focus on story

Anonona

Learned
I remember the spiders from the demo being afraid of the light. Plus you remove the disadvantage you get when trying to hit something in the shadows. This makes light spells actually useful.
In the EA there is also a fight with a vampire in which you can use light sources to deal damage to them each turn. I practically killed it using Dancing Lights. Is pretty neat.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In the EA there is also a fight with a vampire in which you can use light sources to deal damage to them each turn. I practically killed it using Dancing Lights. Is pretty neat.

I agree it's very cool that they have such a heavy emphasis on light and lighting.
But in this particular case it does not work as per rules.
The vampires have sunlight hypersensitivity. But neither dancing lights, nor even daylight spells create sunlight.
So the only valid way to damage those vampires would be breaking window covers an let the actual light in.

Anonona

Learned

I agree it's very cool that they have such a heavy emphasis on light and lighting.
The vampires have sunlight hypersensitivity. But neither dancing lights, nor even daylight spells create sunlight.
So the only valid way to damage those vampires would be breaking window covers an let the actual light in.

I see. Curiously, on the same map there are several windows covered by wooden tables and are marked as interactive objects, but couldn't find a way to break them (though I didn't try too much because of how the fight went). Perhaps it would be possible to break them to use actual sunlight, but of course, that also would mean that going to the castle at night actually puts you in disadvantage. Very interesting if it ends up being like that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I see. Curiously, on the same map there are several windows covered by wooden tables and are marked as interactive objects, but couldn't find a way to break them (though I didn't try too much because of how the fight went). Perhaps it would be possible to break them to use actual sunlight, but of course, that also would mean that going to the castle at night actually puts you in disadvantage. Very interesting if it ends up being like that.
You can break those wooden tables with the Fire Bolt cantrip. Maybe there are also other ways, but I'm not sure (I always have Fire Bolt on my Wizards, those d10 are too tempting).

A possible explanation for that vampire's extreme weakness to light is that she should be one of these monsters with the unpronounceable name, so maybe that worsens her condition. It's obviously a gameplay thing, but at least there's a plausible in-game explanation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon.

During a round, each character takes a turn. This means that you can get a sneak attack with your action in your turn, and then another one with an AoO during an enemy's turn. This is why rogues and battlemaster fighters work so well together (they can make the rogue attack with his reaction any time they want).
This is pretty debatable.
Sneak Attack. ...Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack...

You CAN sneak attack with an AoO because the description says "once per turn", not "on your turn", but whether you can do 2 sneak attacks within a round is not very clear to me. You can't deal more because an AoO is a reaction and you can't react more than once per round. This "once per turn" is damning wording. I'd say it's down to the interpretation and comparing this rule to other similar rules (like Reckless Attack). I'd say limiting it to once per round would be better in terms of tactical opportunities because you can bait sneak attacks with a sturdier character in order for your squishies to not get sneak attacked later.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

This is pretty debatable.
Sneak Attack. ...Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack...

You CAN sneak attack with an AoO because the description says "once per turn", not "on your turn", but whether you can do 2 sneak attacks within a round is not very clear to me. You can't deal more because an AoO is a reaction and you can't react more than once per round. This "once per turn" is damning wording. I'd say it's down to the interpretation and comparing this rule to other similar rules (like Reckless Attack). I'd say limiting it to once per round would be better in terms of tactical opportunities because you can bait sneak attacks with a sturdier character in order for your squishies to not get sneak attacked later.
It's the complete opposite of debatable, in my opinion. A "turn" is a specific term with a clear meaning: combat is organized in rounds, and during a round each participant takes a turn. Since you can deal sneak attack damage once per turn, you can do it in another creature's turn even if you have already done it in your turn. I don't see any other possible way to read that "once per turn".

This interpretation has also been confirmed by WotC multiple times. This is taken directly from the sage advice:

Can a rogue use Sneak Attack more than once per round? Yes, but no more than once per turn. In combat, a round comprises the turns of the combatants (see the Player’s Handbook, p. 189). Many features in the game, such as Extra Attack, specify that they work only on your turn. The Sneak Attack description specifies that you can use the feature once per turn, but it’s not limited to your turn. The feature also doesn’t limit the number of times you can use it in a round.

This rule is relevant because you sometimes get a chance to use Sneak Attack on someone else’s turn. The most common way for this to happen is when a foe provokes an opportunity attack from you. If the requirements for Sneak Attack are met, your opportunity attack can benefit from that feature. Similarly, a fighter could use Commander’s Strike to grant you an attack on the fighter’s turn, and if the attack qualifies, it can use Sneak Attack. Both of those options rely on your reaction, so you could do only one of them in a round.

Because of getting only one reaction per round, you’re unlikely to use Sneak Attack more than twice in a round: once with your action and once with your reaction.

Obviously everyone can modify the rules, but this remains how they envisioned the feature.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

You can break those wooden tables with the Fire Bolt cantrip. Maybe there are also other ways, but I'm not sure (I always have Fire Bolt on my Wizards, those d10 are too tempting).

A possible explanation for that vampire's extreme weakness to light is that she should be one of these monsters with the unpronounceable name, so maybe that worsens her condition. It's obviously a gameplay thing, but at least there's a plausible in-game explanation.
You can break them with any cantrip I think, but they have some level of HP. Out of combat I'd always just have my Spellblade cast Ray of Frost and my Wizard cast Firebolt in unison, that seemed to do it every time. Not sure if catching the window in an AoE would work too, but I'd guess that it does, since that works on chandeliers.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Dancing Lights seem to be the surprise OP thing in this game.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So I finished the EA campaign, I was somewhat surprised that the dungeon from the demo wasn't in it, and how abruptly it ended. I talked my way out of one of the fights in the Bone Tower and consequently didn't hit L5 until my very last combat encounter which was a drag.
Also hopefully crafting is beefed up a lot before release (and I think it will be). It was cool to play around with but not enough materials or recipes.
Otherwise, I had a blast with it. I'll probably play through it again at some point using a different party composition, this time around I just went classic Fighter(2h Spellblade), Cleric(S&B Law Domain), Wizard(Loremaster), and Rogue(archery Darkweaver).

UI is neat and clean, character generation is nice, character models are complete shit right now as they are. I hope this is improved during the EA path. Combat mechanics is strong, at least from my limited knowledge of 5e (I'm a 1e, 2e guy - an old fag you might say) I fucking KNEW this would be a better game than that faggit Swen's abortion ! And it is. RIP Realms Beyond

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
UI is neat and clean, character generation is nice, character models are complete shit right now as they are. I hope this is improved during the EA path. Combat mechanics is strong, at least from my limited knowledge of 5e (I'm a 1e, 2e guy - an old fag you might say) I fucking KNEW this would be a better game than that faggit Swen's abortion ! And it is. RIP Realms Beyond
RIP Realms Beyond

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom