Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

mck

Cipher
Just as information for the people that missed it (Because I did). PCSX2 is getting a libretro/retroarch port

https://github.com/libretro/pcsx2/commit/56cb5c2f249772c392e77c20e9c0eeb4c9aa1eaa

That's good. It means I can play some JP only PS2 games using z-translate and overlay, mostly SRW.

Is there a guide on how to do this? I've never heard of z-translate til now. Sounds sweet

flyingjohn

Arcane

IceyD

Scholar
playing Shadow Hearts on PCSX2 this shit is absurd

shadow-hearts-wolf-battle.gif

kirin

Learned
Just as information for the people that missed it (Because I did). PCSX2 is getting a libretro/retroarch port

https://github.com/libretro/pcsx2/commit/56cb5c2f249772c392e77c20e9c0eeb4c9aa1eaa

That's good. It means I can play some JP only PS2 games using z-translate and overlay, mostly SRW.

Is there a guide on how to do this? I've never heard of z-translate til now. Sounds sweet

I like how the video thumbnail image japanese text has absolutely no relation to the english text

flyingjohn

Arcane

I like how the video thumbnail image japanese text has absolutely no relation to the english text

Machine translation in a nutshell.

lightbane

Arcane
How is Yuzu emulation these days? Can Mario Odyssey be played well by now? How do they go around the motion track controls?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
get me off this wild ride

shadow-hearts-margarete.gif

man Shadow Heats. Feels bad the series dead after Nautilus went bankrupt.

The urban/occult historical fantasy is one of a kind. Combat system is also nice between the 3 games. Wish the japs would make these kind of JRPG again setting wise. And I wouldn't mind having he Ring of Destiny system too.

deuxhero

Arcane
The urban/occult historical fantasy is one of a kind.

There's the Raidou games. Operation Darkness too apparently (I'm surprised that hasn't gotten a PC port since the last half decade has seen most third party exclusives from that gen come to PC, though Success has spent most of that time idle).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The urban/occult historical fantasy is one of a kind.

There's the Raidou games. Operation Darkness too apparently (I'm surprised that hasn't gotten a PC port since the last half decade has seen most third party exclusives from that gen come to PC, though Success has spent most of that time idle).

yeah SMT, in general, is one of the few urban/occult fatasy series we have, and raidou was nice

this is the first time I heard about Operation Darkness tho, will look into it

hopefully one day we will get KS to make spiritual successor for Shadow Hearts like we have with Suikoden :negative:

spekkio

Arcane
BROS. After completing Metroid Prime a couple years ago, I've decided to give MP2 a try.

I went with "regular" version for GameCube, but also decided to check the Wii Remake, using newest version of Primehack (1.0.1). I remember having some problems with older versions, but the new one works fine. After some tweaks to the controls (defaults were kinda weird), I've found the "optimal" setup. Playing MP games with M+K is a fucking blast. First, lock-on is only necessary for "non-combat" visors. Second, you no longer have to "lock-on + jump around enemies", but simply move using WSAD. Like PC God intended.

My basic setup:
Code:
movement / menu navigation: WSAD
fire / menu accept (A): LMB / Enter
jump / menu cancel (B): E / Backspace
lock-on (Z): RMB
ball / menu zoom (C): X
rocket (d-pad down): Q
ball spring: R
menu left (-): Z
menu right (+): C
map (1): M / ~
menu (2): I / Space
Default settings of Primehack use some p. weird setup for switching beams & visors (1234 & E + 1234), but I've decided to use something simple:

Visor 1-4: 1234
Beam 1-4: 5678

So far these controls work great, but I'm not sure how the more complex twerkings (Shake, Tilt) will work. Primehack has some of these set, using LSHIFT + Mouse / WSAD:

9ASjiOb.png

d8kauP8.png

All of this shit just to make things unnecessary complex...

:roll:

Except Primehack, another interesting thing concerning MP that surfaced recently, is HD Interface Textures mod. And thank god for this one, because the hugeass crosshair was reason enough to avoid MP - Trilogy. Now it's fucking glorious. Same with menu icons. This pack has also some "bonus" things, like "Better Tallon IV Space" textures.

Anyway, compare vanilla (first pic) and modded (2nd):

68RXyJP.jpg

8dz355G.jpg

Qu1FqIF.png

vA0XjzD.png

:bounce:

This texture pack is made mainly for MP - Trilogy, but it can also be used with MP1 & MP2 for GC. The only small (problem) that I've found so far is the fact, that some textures are "missing", probably because GC games use different names for textures than Wii game. For example, in case of MP2, the "Z button" texture was missing (and thus was still low-res, despite enabling the texture pack):

KOZRHWS.png

Fortunately, you just have to:

1) find its name (using dump textures) - it's:

Code:
tex1_64x32_m_0f4cb495c960bcfa_14_arb

(.png or .dds)

2) find the "enhanced" replacement texture in the Mod. It's either:

Code:
tex1_64x32_0f4cb495c960bcfa_14

or

Code:

(it looks like the author missed some "versions" of this texture)

3) Copy one of the latter textures and rename it to:

Code:

Easy-peasy. ;)

And voila. Before:

zE4XTwc.jpg

After:

iNUxkJe.jpg

Game looks like this (1920x1080 external, 3 x internal, Widescreen Hack + "Widescreen Culling Fix" AR Code):

dqOpkQx.jpg

:salute:

Same problem happens for MP1. This time, the "R button" texture was missing:

UMPLngS.png

To fix this, find one of these textures in the Mod:
Code:
tex1_32x32_m_07165bfca0d0908f_14_arb
tex1_32x32_43c4d16234f3c55c_5
tex1_32x32_178b7311fda3f949_5
tex1_32x32_07165bfca0d0908f_14
Make a copy of one of them and rename it to:

Code:
tex1_32x32_m_178b7311fda3f949_5

And that's it. This texture should now be "enhanced" in MP1 for GameCube.

tl;dr

OhgblhQ.gif

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane

Links don't work. Still, that's great news! I hope your tricks can be adapted to left-handed people. I'll have to give it a try some day. Or use my PS3 gamepad.

spekkio

Arcane
Link broken
Nigga, you went too fast. Now it's fixed, so stop the lies and start the truths.

I hope your tricks can be adapted to left-handed people
Sure thing. Just go with numeric keyboard instead of WSAD or use P:L" or whatever.

Perkel

Arcane
Online comes to yuzu emulator.
Also Ryujinx got local multiplayer support via online.

Good days for switch emu.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Yuzu online is behind a paywall that is more expensive then the Nintendo online subscription and only supports 2 games.
Probably a sign of things to come.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Yuzu online is behind a paywall that is more expensive then the Nintendo online subscription and only supports 2 games.
Probably a sign of things to come.

wut ? How ?
Lowest switch online price is 4 bucks.
Lowest yuzu patreon for early access is 5 bucks.

Perkel

Arcane
And online in yuzu is gone. They removed it due to people complaining about paywall. Also involving money into online service is probably like red flag for bull, they were probably sharpening their knives already.

edit:

Pretendo network for Cemu is also down. Which means 100% sure Yuzu devs got C&D which scared Pretendo devs.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The enhanced version of a game from my childhood is finally getting its deserved English patch. I've been techncially waiting for this one for almost a decade.

Vorark

Erudite
Gives me hope that the Fate/Extra CCC translation will be completed one day. :negative:

v1rus

Arcane
can Yuzu run Xenoblades Remastered?

There are videos of people playing it everywhere, and yet, it doesnt show up on compatibility list at all.

Puukko

Arcane
can Yuzu run Xenoblades Remastered?

There are videos of people playing it everywhere, and yet, it doesnt show up on compatibility list at all.
Last I checked when it released they were coming up with big performance improvements. To my knowledge it is entirely playable. I briefly tried the new content back then but my ol' 3770k couldn't handle it.

Just like it couldn't handle BOTW on Cemu at more than 20 fps.

:negative:

Vyadhis

Learned
What's the best emulator and setting for psx games if I mainly want to rip pre-rendered backdrops at higher resolution?

deuxhero

Arcane
Gives me hope that the Fate/Extra CCC translation will be completed one day. :negative:

They're remaking the first game with a non-RPS combat system, and that's basically confirmed to be getting an English translation. Hopefully the dev's comment that CCC might be too lewd to remake was a jest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom