Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tenderfoot Tactics - tactical RPG where you manipulate simulated nature

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://badru.graphics

A squad of goblins exploring the vast open world to put an end to the curse of terrible fog, magic that can manipulate simulated nature (heat and fire, fluids, soil moisture, plants, etc.), and some abstracted graphics.

ss_1530a2a2b4d2a607936ccef008b4785f8ec86241.1920x1080.jpg

ss_d10fd6af2f4b4d1f4c94daed19a8f877a4890583.1920x1080.jpg

For a generation, the terrible Fog - one vast, voiceless, and cruel spirit - has been eating the once-thick forests of the mainland. Now, with nowhere left to call home, and granted magic by the friendly spirits of the archipelago, one small party of would-be adventurers sets out. Find a way to save the many goblin towns of the rocky coast, discover the truth of the Fog, and, if possible, put an end to it.

Raise a ridge of stone to block the enemy's approach. Flick an ember into the brush where enemy archers hide, then push a swell of water to intercept the flames before they endanger your own side. Evolve your party into a well rounded squad to better control the wild complexity of nature, or specialize and hazard the risks.

Featuring:
  • vast open-world exploration
  • highly interactive natural systems such as terrain height, soil moisture, plant growth, fluid flow, heat and fire
  • 25+ goblin evolutions: shamans, druids, warlocks, wights, lavamancers, bog witches, knights, and more

While I'm not quite a fan of the art style, the concept sounds interesting.

Devlog on TIG forum: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=64715

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
actually the art style is fine. the furries aren't. and "Tenderfoot Tactics" sounds extremely gay.

Nothing wrong with the art indeed, but they'll need to severely improve readability.

V_K

Arcane
I think the art style, which I like, doesn't mesh very well with the fog - it lessens the effect of both. Otherwise, sounds promising, if vaporwarish.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I don't think I'll buy the game on release because I never spend $30 on a game these days but the game ticks many right boxes, exploration driven campaign, tactical turn-based combat, jobs, and the magic gimmick is intriguing. I don't think it's anodyne that they put the gameplay before the story in the description. Finally I like the folklore vibe of the game with nature spirits, overall focus on nature and related plot, bog witch and woods witch classes, the look of the towns and such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1061610/view/2858054954408392754

Tenderfoot Tactics: The Fall
One Last Prologue

It's fall in the archipelago and the fog has come calling.

Experience a single endless combat with some early to mid-tier goblin mages from Tenderfoot Tactics.

64955be415ab1d375517f2b11bc033c645c278ff.gif

Tenderfoot Tactics: The Fall will be playable during the Autumn Steam Game Festival, starting October 7th.

This demo showcases the terrain manipulation and dynamic natural systems that make Tenderfoot so unique. Since it skips past the first section of the game to show more advanced breeds, expect it to be a little overwhelming. Tactics fans, don't miss this one.

Fight as long as you want. The enemy only grows stronger.

Tenderfoot Tactics is coming out October 21st. Wishlist and follow!

twitter.com/tenderfoot_tact
facebook.com/TenderfootTactics
instagram.com/icewatergames/
discord.gg/B82BDEv

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So, the game is released. The reviews say it's FFTactics with exploration and atmospheric narrative (everything I like) and it is only 20 bucks so I may buy it, I'm downloading the demo just to see if it works on my poor pc. I think it's only available on Steam, I would have preferred itch since they released quite some things there but that will have to do.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I bought the game on release day but only had enough time to play it for about 50 minutes so far. So far combat is nice. Combat is pretty brutal as you're expected to lose characters during combat (no perma death, but they don't get XP after the encounter). A single mistake can be quite punishing. The main gimmick of the combat seems to be in the terraformability of the battle boards where combat takes place. Seems to have the usual stuff you'd expect: water, ice, fire, suddenly grow bushes (which provide cover) but you can also morph the elevation as well which will give you all kinds of tactical advantage/disatvantages that you'd expect. There are a bunch of different classes, some you unlock via leveling and others have to be found, I assume, as there's a lot of emphasis on exploration in this game. You can mix and match skills from different classes as well. Seems to be some kind of reputation system as well. I'm not sure how it works, I got some rep and a bonus, but I'm not sure where I can view my reputations, if such a menu exists. If you die or flee from combat you don't get a game over, but there's a fog in the game world that will grow progressively with each negative outcome, and the fog can even consume towns and friendly areas, and you'll have to go and deal with that.

Oh, and the music is quite good. It's dynamic as well, based on how many characters have fallen in combat (it ramps up). I'm not sure if it takes into account if you're winning or losing, however.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bought the game on release day but only had enough time to play it for about 50 minutes so far. So far combat is nice. Combat is pretty brutal as you're expected to lose characters during combat (no perma death, but they don't get XP after the encounter). A single mistake can be quite punishing. The main gimmick of the combat seems to be in the terraformability of the battle boards where combat takes place. Seems to have the usual stuff you'd expect: water, ice, fire, suddenly grow bushes (which provide cover) but you can also morph the elevation as well which will give you all kinds of tactical advantage/disatvantages that you'd expect. There are a bunch of different classes, some you unlock via leveling and others have to be found, I assume, as there's a lot of emphasis on exploration in this game. You can mix and match skills from different classes as well. Seems to be some kind of reputation system as well. I'm not sure how it works, I got some rep and a bonus, but I'm not sure where I can view my reputations, if such a menu exists. If you die or flee from combat you don't get a game over, but there's a fog in the game world that will grow progressively with each negative outcome, and the fog can even consume towns and friendly areas, and you'll have to go and deal with that.

Oh, and the music is quite good. It's dynamic as well, based on how many characters have fallen in combat (it ramps up). I'm not sure if it takes into account if you're winning or losing, however.
I was already sold on the game from the description but the fact it actually delivers gives me that same bit of glee I felt when I first placed Voidspire Tactics.

Definitely putting this near the top of my wishlist.

V_K

Arcane
The main gimmick of the combat seems to be in the terraformability of the battle boards where combat takes place. Seems to have the usual stuff you'd expect: water, ice, fire, suddenly grow bushes (which provide cover) but you can also morph the elevation as well which will give you all kinds of tactical advantage/disatvantages that you'd expect.
Can you use any of that in exploration or is it combat-exclusive?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The main gimmick of the combat seems to be in the terraformability of the battle boards where combat takes place. Seems to have the usual stuff you'd expect: water, ice, fire, suddenly grow bushes (which provide cover) but you can also morph the elevation as well which will give you all kinds of tactical advantage/disatvantages that you'd expect.
Can you use any of that in exploration or is it combat-exclusive?
To my understanding it's limited to combat.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, I got defeated on my first encounter in one of the demo versions and bought the game. The game kind of works on low settings on my very old pc so it'll certainly work on yours on high settings. Besides there's no loading time past launching the game which is great.

I was not impressed at first but I'm starting to like the game quite a bit as new types of enemies appear, like strong robots driven by several characters that will leave the robot as you defeat it.

The game is slow, you're walking a lot, sailing a lot, and chaining Final Fantasy Tactics kind of battles. It'll definitely be a game breaker to some people, but to me it's fine at least until now, once in a while I can play a game where the slow character progression is the main point and where pressing a button does not trigger something awesome. So far it's hike and combat and some trading, nothing else.

The game certainly oozes atmosphere. So far I didn't get aware of any overarching goal, you're certainly fighting against the Fog, and in practice a foggy area seems populated with tons of enemies but when one is approaching you then an encounter is triggered and if you win (you can retry or flee to the last resting point otherwise, which is just a checkpoint, characters are fully healed after a battle) then the fog and the enemies disappear from on a big area surrouding you. Now there are also those big spirits, which so far I've no idea about who they are. You can choose to fight the characters following a spirit, but the only time I did I got defeated and not tried again since so I've no idea if something special happens.

You find parts of maps, in towns especially, maps which are very cool by the way. Important things (like towns) close to you are also visible through an icon from afar when you explore.

You start with 4 goblins, and quickly reach a full party of 6. You can change their names and skin (fur?) color. You're playing as your own full party, that's cool.

Combat is deterministic, all hits hit. The stat system is very limited, HP and damage, plus affinities to elements I guess but I didn't really get into those (at all some fire arrows fired some bushes, dealing big damages to the character inside). Equipment is also very limited to two slots where you can put any part (generally increasing HP and damage, although' there's more occasionally like a bonus to affinity to an element). These limitations could really be problems in the long run, but I'm not sure yet.

However there are quite some jobs (at least some whose requirement is a combination of a certain level on one or several jobs, the others I don't know yet) and quite some active and passive skills for each job. You need to choose skills to level up (only for the base job, or jobless in fact, you can change at wil, for other jobs you can't), that increases customization but lowers the choices during fights, I've no opinion about this being good or bad. You can also select one skill (or more with special skills I think, but I've not unlocked yet) from previous jobs.

The combat system works, positioning is important especially, and why I had a bad impression about the game at first is that I faced a lot of finally similar encounters against groups of classed characters (with only the 5-6 first jobs and no difference in equipment these encounters did not feel that different, although' their skills were not always the same). But then I realized that first strong equipment give big bonuses (especially for skills with a big area of effect, I hope I'm not missing something when I say that), at least as important as leveling up in jobs, which only allows to increase skills I think (but I'm not 100% certain, I need to check again) and that by pushing forward instead of turning around then you'll eventually get to face different enemies and get strong equipment (maybe much more XP too but I've no idea about that). Some encounters certainly are fun to play and need at least some retries (I fled quite some times in the beginning but didn't for a while).

The trading system is cool, there's no money, and instead affinity with the inhabitants of the area. It increases when you win encounters there (freeing goblins from the fog) and it also increases when you "sell" an item to the trader. The price in affinity for selling and buying an item are the same (and depends only on the rarity of the item, the game uses a basic colour system) while their power varies, so you'll basically trade items for better items of the same rarity. The thing is that you need to reach a certain rank in affinity to be able to trade items of the corresponding rarity, so you'll need to fight and/or to sell some items first. Some special traders will also trade strong items against mundane items from somewhere else in the world.

Some equipment parts can be used to change the color of the suits (the suit depends on the job, but all the suits get colored) of a character when visiting a dyer. That's cool.

Overall I've got no strong opinion about the game yet, I think people who don't want to walk and chain a lot of quite long encounters should pass their way, but for others and me especially I'll need to play more to make an opinion.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I completed the game. I think it's not good, but I also think it could be good, the game just needs a bit more different types of enemies, and probably a bit less encounters during a playthrough' anyway. I don't regret supporting the devs, I hope they won't abandon the game and I will follow whatever they'll do next either way.

urmom

Learned
Anyone enjoying this game? I just started playing. I like the setting and art. Visited my first goblin town and there are no quests or any other things to do AFAIK. Wut?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom