Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It wasn’t the best mechanic ever, but it beat DOS1 and taking turns initiative. If NJClaw likes the game good enough for me.

I’ll play it in three years Definitive modded.
You shouldn't trust me, man. I notoriously have the shit-taste.

This game is like the polar opposite of Kingmaker.
How can you like this game? I am serious mate.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It wasn’t the best mechanic ever, but it beat DOS1 and taking turns initiative. If NJClaw likes the game good enough for me.

Multiple quest solutions, writing is better than Larian usually gets, good reactivity.
Whether or not that outweighs the worse aspects of the game is a judgment call but I can see how people can like it.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Multiple quest solutions,
Ahh if the quests are boring,it doesn't mean much. It is like hyping nu deus ex as multiple option when it means you could use the vents lol.

writing is better than Lariat usually gets
Really? Better than the worst in the industry is now a positive lol.

good reactivity
It is fake reactivity that shatters in the hands of an experience player. Like the resurrection pic i posted. Why the fuck i can't just resurrect the dude that just got killed in a fucking Forgotten realms??? The reactivity is very limited.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

I don’t. Haven’t played it yet so don’t know one way or another.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have been playing the same D&D CRPGs over and over for almost 20 years now. I've finished both IWD and IWD2 more than ten times. I have played ToEE so many times that I can probably finish it with my eyes closed in the span of a very quick fap. Hell, I'm just about to finish my third playthrough of Solasta's EA. I think I might have played Kingmaker more than Desiderius and Pink Eye combined.

I will take whatever I can get.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have been playing the same D&D CRPGs over and over for almost 20 years now. I've finished both IWD and IWD2 more than ten times. I have played ToEE so many times that I can probably finish it with my eyes closed in the span of a very quick fap. Hell, I'm just about to finish my third playthrough of Solasta's EA. I think I might have played Kingmaker more than Desiderius and Pink Eye combined.

I will take whatever I can get.
But those games are actually D&D,bg3 is larian's copy of dos2. Go play some drakensang river of time to wash the the taste of bg3. Also clearly solastra is far better than bg3.

Multiple quest solutions,
Ahh if the quests are boring,it doesn't mean much. It is like hyping nu deus ex as multiple option when it means you could use the vents lol.

writing is better than Lariat usually gets
Really? Better than the worst in the industry is now a positive lol.

good reactivity
It is fake reactivity that shatters in the hands of an experience player. Like the resurrection pic i posted. Why the fuck i can't just resurrect the dude that just got killed in a fucking Forgotten realms??? The reactivity is very limited.
Can you stop being autistic for a second and let people talk of relevant stuff?
Frankly the opinion of someone who can't stop bitching for a second "Because it's Larian" is completely worthless.

And I've had my fill of listening to the whine about the writing being shit.
Do I actually need to say it? I'll say it: the writing is already better in this incomplete version than most of what you'll find playing BG2.
The writing is not the problem here, the "fake" reactivity is not the problem here (BG2 had hardy any to begin with).
The fucking convoluted stupid mechanics are.

The Real Fanboy
There is so much Baldur's Gate fan art but it's all of Astarion

3a52c2ce8f3cafbfff41259c1d551816af8cc024.jpg

f74b4fb58c7617e64eec9ca5ff4dcdd493f97e68.png

2f90f6286d94b880463c6b87b93da9610f4557cc.png

Shrimp

Arbiter
I know this topic already has been talked about, but I was looking at some of the Steam threads for Solasta and I found a handful of threads/complaints about accuracy/missing being a gripe for many players.

A fair amount of the replies to the said threads are people just telling the OP to git gud while an equal amount of responses who are certain the dice are conspiring against them.
Considering how common this source of frustration appears to be among the people playing these types of games I'm uncertain if Larian is going to revert their change that increases the health of many monsters at the cost of lowering their AC. Makes me wish there'd be a toggleable option to select which type of health/AC you'd prefer.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Some of these seem like they're reserved for characters that accept Ilithid corruption like "Your people will never take you back! Illithid scum!", "Surprised you show yourself in public. Abomination!" and "Need a new master Illithid lover?".

Perhaps the "Bow to your betters, boy!" is for "Origin_TheKid"?

Oh, you mean that Origin Character who apparently is
Abdel Adrian's child?

The Real Fanboy
Baldur's Gate 3 failure stuff was influenced by Disco Elysium

Found this - is it true? Or I'm fool to belive that even for a second?

Right under where you quoted me from Prime Junta says that Larian and ZAUM talked to each other about stuff and he should totally know because he helped them with some problems when they were making Disco Elysium!

BTW it totally sucks that Prime Junta left he was one of the coolest people here

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Illithid lover? Like “nigger lover”?

So wait, are the illithid going to be the new oppressed minority of the game once we’re done with tieflings??

I mean, remember the intro: before the fighting even starts, there are a lot of dead illithid on the ship...

Gyor

Savant
I think on my next playthrough I'll use a mod to play a Mindflayer, Gnoll, Minotaur, or Bugbear.

Gyor

Savant
I wonder if eventually someone will mod in playable Dragons (not just Dragonborn, but true Dragons). I'm just curious if there are limits on what kinds of creatures you could mod in to be playable. Giants? Hags? Cambions? Imps? Phase Spiders? Intellect Devourers? A Owlcat?

Considering how common this source of frustration appears to be among the people playing these types of games I'm uncertain if Larian is going to revert their change that increases the health of many monsters at the cost of lowering their AC. Makes me wish there'd be a toggleable option to select which type of health/AC you'd prefer.

Well it looks like they're also going to tweak their RNG. Hope it's going to be optional.

because the audience is so much bigger and they're coming from such different games, their expectations for how narrative is handled is very different. So for a D&D player who is completely cool with getting three ones on the D20 in a row, they go like "yeah, this happened yesterday to me, this is completely normal." And then there are people who are coming from titles like XCOM or something more strategic where they would expect some dampers or stabilization on RNG so that you never see a really bad streak or something like that. So we're now discussing how we're going to tackle that.

From our own experience at the tabletop, we know that even though dice are supposed to be pure randomness and very honest, the DM has has the screen for a reason where they're rolling their dice in secret. That is already in D&D this built-in mechanism for stabilizing randomness and an understanding that creating a compelling narrative takes a bit more than just completely [rolling] in a random motion.

It has to be handled very carefully, because players are very good at spotting the game putting its thumb on the scale and the cheating the randomness. So right now we're discussing where exactly we're gonna start stabilizing RNG, most likely in combat scenarios. This is something that people have very specific set of expectations for. It's where they want a lot of control, have a lot of plans, and come up with very interesting tactics and strategies. If you have too much RNG it just messes it up. It devolves tactics to something less interesting.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._tackles_the_RNG_of_DDinspired_dice_rolls.php

I tend to get bothered by the capriciousness of the dice gods on skill checks more than combat. Combat has many rolls and numerous elements weighing in. Skills checks are singular with no ability to recover or mitigate. 5E is on the correct path with Advantage/Disadvantage, but they didn't take it far enough.

Varnaan

Augur
But....

Today I had to uninstall Baldur's Gate 3 or risk never playing outside of Early Access
I played only a little of the original Baldur's Gate games, dipping my toes into the remasters, but adored Larian's last, the outstanding Divinity: Original Sin 2. But to this day, however, I still haven't finished it. What can I say? There are a lot of games to play, and this Football Manager addiction isn't going to feed itself.
That and somewhere deep into Act 2 I got so hopelessly burned—insta-killed for the umpteenth time—by some random encounter in the wilderness that I had to step away, even 46 hours into my adventure.
Stopped reading right there.
Didn't play through BG or BG2, "loved" OS2 but got burned out in act 2...

I love how most people in this thread have *never* played tabletop, yet attempt to speak with such authority.
Um. I have hundreds of hours of DM experience so that's a bit obnoxious.

I personally think players enjoy enjoy a more genuine experience where there is an actual chance of dying to crits etc, as opposed to a kid gloves experience where the DM fudges the rolls so that nothing brutal ever happens.

Or doesn't roll at all? That just baffles me.

There's also MY enjoyment as a DM, I love rolling dice too and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to enjoy getting the occasional crit now and then.

I think you're conflating "DM ensuring that the party doesn't die on the first direwolf encounter" with "DM making party invincible against Archlich"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom