Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

BarbequeMasta

Learned
I am getting the EA through the high seas to try it, if it's good I'll buy it at release. the verticality looks cool and creating your own party is allways fun but multiclassless 5E is ehhhhhhhhh

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
The UI is actually a case of something looking (much) worse on screenshots than in actual play. In-game, you bare notice it's there, in a good way.
I don't think it looks great, but it has good functionality. It's fine.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any complaints about the UI in this game (at least the combat UI which is all I care about) are either deliberately tendentious or dumb.

I can see the argument about wanting to make it look a bit more cosily mediaeval, but that's something modders can easily do down the line.

In terms of functionality the UI is actually very well thought-out, and the way UI elements' sizes reflect their relative importance or degree of oomph in-game induces a slightly different mindset from games where everything is an icon or shortcut and every ability is represented flatly on the same level. The activate/abort thing for magic is also clean and simple. The result is a flowing experience.

It's a refreshing change and I hope other developers follow the general idea - although the simplicity may be a function of the relatively more streamlined 5e rules. (IOW it may not be possible to reflect relative importance so easily when relative importance depends on so many other complex, interweaving factors in a build, like in PFK. But we have PFK for PFK, this is its own thing, and it's very enjoyable.)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The activate/abort thing for magic is also clean and simple. The result is a flowing experience.
Oh that is one thing I'd change actually, I wish you could just right-click to Abort your action.

Yeah I've seen that complaint, and agree, but I wouldn't get rid of the "abort" button - it makes it easy for new players. Good UIs usually have a bit of redundancy so that players can do the same thing in different ways and find a way that's comfortable for them.

Mortmal

Arcane
The vast majority of posters here are pretty against it. Yeah, *you* might like it, but that doesn't mean you have good taste or someone should listen to you. Nothing personal, that goes for everyone.
Come on, first the vast majority of posters is only a few people , the same people you will see posting in kotc 2 thread too, the true hardcore grognards here really caring about gaming . Second i find the UI very nice too and non obstructive. My only serious criticim about the game is end of EA with the bugged quest journal, first time you can choose 2 paths one break the game.

RPK

Scholar
Because I wonder how much their input is actually relevant. There are quite a few posts here outlining several similar or the same issues. Are the streamers some kind of barometer for what issues are actually important? Or is it just what issues most people are going to notice and everything else is fair game?

Fair point. As a developer I would also want to look at the comments of streamers though. They should normally (especially the better ones) be better at formulating their thoughts in a structured manner and are more adept at discussing games in a somewhat objective manner. I’ve been reading the Larian forums and most feedback posts are insanely long and unstructured with lots of completely irrelevant information on people’s personal life.

edit: so I thought I was in the BG3 thread, never mind :)

this post was meant to be really meta, right?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just dropping by to say hello to you folks! A bit drowning in work at the moment between all the backers who can't find their keys, people with bugs, noting what streamers say about our game, reading all the bugs and feedback... but we're doing well!

You fight a lot of enemy necromancers with undead. There are any plan to allow PC necromancers?

covr

Prophet
Patron
Any complaints about the UI in this game (at least the combat UI which is all I care about) are either deliberately tendentious or dumb.

I can see the argument about wanting to make it look a bit more cosily mediaeval, but that's something modders can easily do down the line.

Actually, changing the UI by modders might not be so easy from the technical point of view, even though it is Unity. Bear in mind that 99% of the modders have really shitty art taste and would probably mod it for worse.

IMO the UI out of place with many similarities to Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend. I would love this should be corrected, as it is killing the adventure-like part of the game.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Because I wonder how much their input is actually relevant. There are quite a few posts here outlining several similar or the same issues. Are the streamers some kind of barometer for what issues are actually important? Or is it just what issues most people are going to notice and everything else is fair game?

Fair point. As a developer I would also want to look at the comments of streamers though. They should normally (especially the better ones) be better at formulating their thoughts in a structured manner and are more adept at discussing games in a somewhat objective manner. I’ve been reading the Larian forums and most feedback posts are insanely long and unstructured with lots of completely irrelevant information on people’s personal life.

no, why?

RPK

Scholar

no, why?

a post about streamers formulating thoughts in a better manner than someone on a forum...posted on the wrong thread? :D

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just dropping by to say hello to you folks! A bit drowning in work at the moment between all the backers who can't find their keys, people with bugs, noting what streamers say about our game, reading all the bugs and feedback... but we're doing well!

A few things before I leave:
- Why the heck am I a halfling chick in that one guy's party?
- If you have infinite loading screen, try verifying game file integrity
- If you want to leave feedback, drop by our forums
- Continue shitposting away you beautiful people, I enjoy reading about it every so often lol.

Cheers,
Myzz

Love ya! Your team has done a great job, I have to say :)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm in the Bone keep right now @ level 5, so I have limited experience withe the game. I also haven't followed development at all and so might raise some items that are already covered elsewhere. Whatever.

+ Encounter design is varied and interesting, nice use of verticality
+ Overworld travel reminiscent of Realms of Arkania & Darklands
+ I like the art design and spell effects, perfectly adequate (PC models need work)
+ Dice Rolls are a nice touch
+ Combat mechanics and are solid
+ Excellent combat feedback - one of the better games ever at communicating what is happening - great
+ Music is decent

+/- So far the story sequences remind me of Dwarf Run
+/- Environment art is hit and miss. There are some creative and nice looking environments such as the tower
+/- UI is utilitarian and concise. Totally acceptable, but an opportunity missed to generate feels a pretty UI can bring

- Status effects are not easily decipherable at a glance
- Could use more real-time guidebook info as KOTC/2 does
- Needs combat animation speed options as I am sure has been mentioned 100 times here
- Level design is very linear, which I don't mind but corridors don't make for replay value
- I prefer 3.5

Codex Year of the Donut
God damn it Ellie, keep your politics to yourself
ZP6PLwl.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Finding it hard to care about the story. Kind of feel like there's too much story dumping going on so far.
Something something in the something other... yeah I want to go kill orcs :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom