Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well the graffix ho in me loves the idea of 3D models, new set pieces, art design, and speshul affex. And yes, I have to write it like a retard because I fully acknowledge those aren't something I should give a fuck about in the context of this.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
God I love this game. I can't wait for Infusion.

What is known about Infusion?
That it'll be a standalone module, takes place in a new part of Underrail, will have more of a Industrio-High-Tech Aesthetic since the team got tired of the Junked-up Urban Decay and Tribalistic aesthetic in Underrail and Expedition, and'll have lots n' lots of prettier graphix as they improve their engine.

Nothin' more than that at the moment, plot details, new mechanics and stuff have yet to be revealed. But feel free to wildly speculate.

Essegi

Cipher
I hoped for a small discount for Expeditions those sales but nothing... Well, may Stig have a bigger beer (possibly a quadrupel and not one of those abused ipas...), i've still to play the game bun i'm sure he deserves it.
So i started the game, i read a bit and i went for an easy build... Tank assault crafter aka fat nerdy guy with a gun passion: https://underrail.info/build/?AQgDAwgIAwcPAAAAAAAADw8AAA8PDw8PAAAAAAAAAAhP378
Normal difficulty since i know it will be more than enough...
Now i could kill rathounds but they hurt me in return... I have the basic pistol and i am face to face with one i can kill it in 2 rounds taking a hit, in optimal conditions... I can't go far doing that.
I ventured without an armor that seems pretty much mandatory for my character... Also stealth is not an option.
Do you advice to buy one at some vendor, there was one and i just missed it or something else?
I wonder how much money/consumables are an issue early game.

Parabalus

Arcane
I hoped for a small discount for Expeditions those sales but nothing... Well, may Stig have a bigger beer (possibly a quadrupel and not one of those abused ipas...), i've still to play the game bun i'm sure he deserves it.
So i started the game, i read a bit and i went for an easy build... Tank assault crafter aka fat nerdy guy with a gun passion: https://underrail.info/build/?AQgDAwgIAwcPAAAAAAAADw8AAA8PDw8PAAAAAAAAAAhP378
Now i could kill rathounds but they hurt me in return... I have the basic pistol and i am face to face with one i can kill it in 2 rounds taking a hit, in optimal conditions... I can't go far doing that.
I ventured without an armor that seems pretty much mandatory for my character... Also stealth is not an option.
Do you advice to buy one at some vendor, there was one and i just missed it or something else?

Run to the fences and close the doors behind you, rathounds can't open them and you can shoot through.

At the "boss" throw molotovs.

You should prob amp the difficulty to Hard.

Essegi

Cipher
Yup i noticed that, it's just i can't do that on all enemies. I just discovered the 85% health cap for regen that is quite useful. Also i don't have a repair kit and the pistol is degrading faster than i thought... Need really to get familiar with the system, i stick on normal at least until i learn the basics...

Zeem

Learned
Early game is the only time you're going to be hard-pressed for money and ammo/consumables (unless you decide to minmax supersteel, buy best jet skis and fully furnish your house, but by that point you'll be swimming in cash on Normal anyway). I suggest grabbing Aimed Shot feat ASAP, Expertise is pretty much useless early on and improving crit chance is much better once you start crafting your own gear (which should be in Junkyard). Base ability spread is good, I suggest putting all the additional points you get from leveling into Perception to boost your Guns skill and get access to some great gun-related feats.
Look into how feats can synergize with each other - for example taking Suppressive Fire and Opportunist means a free 15% damage bonus on all your bursts, using Kneecap Shot with Opportunist also boosts any subsequent attacks by 15%. Put some points into Throwing as well, grenades are quite powerful in this game

Are there random quests in underrail
There are now. Harland's quest has a couple variations, or it may instead spawn another quest with its own dungeon in near Junkyard.

hell bovine

Arcane
im trying to understand harland quest in SGS.

so normally I play on autopilot mode but one of the new characters saw new dialog from guns seller which unlocked nice questline from harland. I assume its fairly new thing.

Thing is, I just started new character and I cant see it? As in there is no dialog option to start whole thing. Whats more Harland camera isnt smashed(he got 2).
I think it's a random quest, got it with some characters but not others.

ciox

Liturgist
There are whole random zones you can encounter, keep an eye out for new doors and level exits.

Essegi

Cipher
Early game is pain considering the economy and finances, you're unlikely to have enough cash to afford anything but the most necessary stuff. Later, money will stop being a problem.
Well, i just bought a rahound leather armor... Things are easier now.
Early game is the only time you're going to be hard-pressed for money and ammo/consumables (unless you decide to minmax supersteel, buy best jet skis and fully furnish your house, but by that point you'll be swimming in cash on Normal anyway). I suggest grabbing Aimed Shot feat ASAP, Expertise is pretty much useless early on and improving crit chance is much better once you start crafting your own gear (which should be in Junkyard). Base ability spread is good, I suggest putting all the additional points you get from leveling into Perception to boost your Guns skill and get access to some great gun-related feats.
Look into how feats can synergize with each other - for example taking Suppressive Fire and Opportunist means a free 15% damage bonus on all your bursts, using Kneecap Shot with Opportunist also boosts any subsequent attacks by 15%. Put some points into Throwing as well, grenades are quite powerful in this game
Yup, got to level 2 and took aimed shot. I managed to go to M'lan Ratula and kill him and, after some tries i got lucky (1 normal shot, 1 aimed shot and 1 regular critical). Now i expect things to go bad, pistol condition is less than 50% and i don't have a repair kit...
EDIT: lol after that the quest was done, i reactivated all 5 points. That game makes me feel like a sissy.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
So I got Qinalo to her sweet 16 on Oddity DOMINATING a few days ago but I haven't any motivation to continue. She wipes the floor with everything in combat, and scrounging for more Oddities is a chore. Psi trivialized combat already and since she got Critical Power it's even worse. At this point there isn't really anything interesting to do in the game. This game reminds me of Arcanum far more than Fallout, and this is sort of the same problem Arcanum had.

I've thought about restarting with Classic mode and with a less Psi heavy build, but that seems pointless as well. For those interested, the build I decided on was 3/10/3/3/5/10/6, dex melee Versatility with TC, PK and TM. Feats are Versatility, Opportunist, Psi Empathy, Tranquility, Parry, Premeditation, Ambush, Psycho-Temporal Acceleration, Cheap Shots, Locus of Control, Critical Power. https://underrail.info/build/?EAMNAwMGCgYAAABaAAAoPTIAGyVaAB4AWjcANy0AMismwqM_BsKZAirCh0shGt-_

All the feats were ok, except Parry. If I restarted I would probably go PER Guns Versatility instead, and cut Psychokinesis and maybe Thought Control to see if it makes combat more enjoyable.

Underrail is an ok rpg but it has some off issues with both combat and the game progression. I would mention these main issues-

- Feat selection. Some feats are extremely narrow or for LARPing only, while others break the game combat like Locus of Control and Critical Power. Feats typically personalize your character in other rpgs, but in Underrail what defines your character is your main attribute and the skills you choose to focus on. Choosing feats feels trivialized.
- Skill points are too plentiful. I don't really want to craft but there's nothing else for me to really spend points on.
- The combat encounter design is kind of lazy, but maybe this is the fault of the issues with the combat system.
- Overall the game gets too easy and your character gets too powerful too quickly. It's also that you have so many options for combat that the AI is helpless.
- The game is sort of in a bad spot of not being plot driven, but not having enough diverse content to being a true sandbox either. There's places to explore and quests in those places, but not much else. In other words, the main plot and quest line is not that exciting, but neither does the game have enough outside of following the quest line.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
- Feat selection. Some feats are extremely narrow or for LARPing only, while others break the game combat like Locus of Control and Critical Power. Feats typically personalize your character in other rpgs, but in Underrail what defines your character is your main attribute and the skills you choose to focus on. Choosing feats feels trivialized.
- Skill points are too plentiful. I don't really want to craft but there's nothing else for me to really spend points on.
- The combat encounter design is kind of lazy, but maybe this is the fault of the issues with the combat system.
- Overall the game gets too easy and your character gets too powerful too quickly. It's also that you have so many options for combat that the AI is helpless.
- The game is sort of in a bad spot of not being plot driven, but not having enough diverse content to being a true sandbox either. There's places to explore and quests in those places, but not much else. In other words, the main plot and quest line is not that exciting, but neither does the game have enough outside of following the quest line.
- LoC has obscene cooldown.
Critical power requires you to:
1) raise the base critical damage. If your base crit damage is 105% it won't give you much
2) crit reliably
So no, not broken. It takes some work to make it truly shine.
- skill points were designed with crafting in mind. For some builds it's mandatory
- encounter design is diverse enough. E.G., average Protectorate squad consists of tincans, snipers, shock troopers and shield bearers. All can fuck you in different ways.
- true, but every build has its enigma
- this is a game about COMBAT. You'll find plenty of that anywhere

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The replayability comes from making fun hybrid builds that you are incentivized to keep playing so you can see what the end result is, not just min maxing a new char that has already been tried and tested.

ciox

Liturgist
The skill point criticism is legit, the game could use some skills getting broken up, like Guns... but that's not going to happen or it would have been done long ago, changing skills is just too destructive to old characters is my guess, while adding new feats isn't.
Feat balance too, but they just said they looked at it and don't intend feats to be equally useful, so no point in hammering on this one, it's why Disassemble needs 5 specialization points and only stops degrading your items when you're lvl 21.
The rest I have no idea where it's coming from, most builds are not broken and the game is hardly over at level 16, let alone if you have the DLC with its swarms and armorbeasts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom