Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larian logic. Archdruids are lv 4.
And lv 4 warlocks CAN'T OHK an goblin child(15 hp) with eldritch blast(max damage = 14)
I made a thread to point this crap and people pointed out some interesting detail to me:
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718792#Post718792

Apparently even if the game has the awful idea of putting "level tags" on everything in accord to the level Larian expects you to have a certain encounter, some things are still unchanged compared to the official source.
The "level 4 red dragon" for instance has all correct stats in place despise that level flag.

Which on one side is vaguely comforting (no gimped dragon just to accommodate the player) and on the other is a pretty fucking stupid thing to do, in general.
Also, I hate visible level flags on enemies and monsters, but maybe that's just me.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't think she should be an archdruid anyways.
Halsin is the archdruid. They seem to imply that the person chosen next in line to lead has nothing to do with their relative power due to
Halsin picking some random druid who doesn't even live there to lead after he decides to travel with you.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

They really need to let us make our own party just so we can kill these smug pricks on sight at least once.

Murk

Arcane
I usually don't kill companions right away, except maybe Khalid because he sucks, but these guys are all assholes.

I'm the opposite, I kill nearly every BG 1 and 2 companion except for Edwin (too many spell slots; can't resist).

All the elves get the knife; guaranteed.

Murk

Arcane
The king of D&D cRPGs (honorable mention to KotC). The devs were so nice that after beating the game and going into your vignette, you got access to some bonus campaign about an omelet with mushrooms or something.

greyhawk091001.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I usually don't kill companions right away, except maybe Khalid because he sucks, but these guys are all assholes.

I'm the opposite, I kill nearly every BG 1 and 2 companion except for Edwin (too many spell slots; can't resist).

Generally speaking, most of the evil companions in BG1/2 are much more entertaining (and often better optimised) than the good ones.

I pretty much always pick up Edwin and Korgan in BG2 even on good walk-throughs. Same with Kagain in BG1.

Varnaan

Augur
5E doesn't have levels for monsters.
That's exactly why the levels Larian uses, like the level 4 Adult Red Dragon, are arbitrary and don't mean squat.
People get hung up on it when it's literally meaningless, they probably have a required level field in their DB so they just attribute a level within the level range you're expected to be at in the zone where thes pecific monster is.

Varnaan

Augur
Rinslin Merwind 5E works off CR for creatures, they don't have attributed levels.
The basic gist of it is that for a party of 4 characters, a challenging but non deadly encounter would be a creature with a CR equivalent to the average level of the party.
The further you stray (upwards) from creature CR = average party level, the more lethal the encounter is.

Edit: Just for the record since I was talking about the Adult Red Dragon:
When you see it in the EA your party is expected to be at level 4, maybe 5 in the final game, and the Dragon is presented as level 4, however its stats are on par with what is in the Monster Guide, and its challenge rating (CR) is 17, so regardless of it being level 4 it would be an extremely lethal encounter for a level 4 party.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Generally speaking, most of the evil companions in BG1/2 are much more entertaining (and often better optimised) than the good ones.

I pretty much always pick up Edwin and Korgan in BG2 even on good walk-throughs. Same with Kagain in BG1.

Xzar and Montaron are the most underrated evil characters in CRPG history. Their voices were so fucking good.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Xzar and Montaron are the most underrated evil characters in CRPG history. Their voices were so fucking good.

Earl Boen has one of the greatest evil voices in the history of voice acting. He also makes a great ominous narrator.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Rinslin Merwind 5E works off CR for creatures, they don't have attributed levels.
The basic gist of it is that for a party of 4 characters, a challenging but non deadly encounter would be a creature with a CR equivalent to the average level of the party.
The further you stray (upwards) from creature CR = average party level, the more lethal the encounter is.
I know, however at first I thought you meant to say that there attribute levels for creatures in 5E in your first comment and second your message caught me by surprise, because it seemingly contradicted your previous comment. Anyway, I was wrong in this case and ratings retracted.
But I think that this situation with meaningless tags is Larian's fault, since nobody forced them to put these tags on monsters in first place and if some kind of indication for monster's might needed - they could use CR instead of levels.

Wunderbar

Arcane

Earl Boen has one of the greatest evil voices in the history of voice acting. He also makes a great ominous narrator.
Montaron was voiced by that doctor from Terminator? mind blown

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Montaron was voiced by that doctor from Terminator? mind blown

Yep, he's a pretty prolific voice actor. He voiced an NPC in Icewind Dale 2 as well iirc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom