Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This shit is STILL going?

How gullible are you people?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

What do you mean? It is a good entertainment thread,better than the "game" for sure.

I meant is the "game" still going.

In any sane world Roberts would be shunned and living on the streets after being exposed as a massive charlatan - if not outright in prison for this pyramid scheme by now.

But I guess it's 2020 so whatever the hell these days.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

What do you mean? It is a good entertainment thread,better than the "game" for sure.

In any sane world Roberts would be shunned and living on the streets after being exposed as a massive charlatan - if not outright in prison for this pyramid scheme by now.

Hmmm not really,we live in capitalistic work where charlatans and schemers are venerated as heroes and bringers of progress. And such was the world for last 100 years.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Hmmm not really,we live in capitalistic work where charlatans and schemers are venerated as heroes and bringers of progress. And such was the world for last 100 years.

Bernie Madoff disagrees.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Player Test Universe (PTU)
You mean the thing that most MMOs give to their players for free? Also couldn't they have just done an offline test client I mean that would've made more sense right you could just emulate a dedicated server. Tbh this reeks of Fallout First styled robbery. You shouldn't have to pay for a dedicated server. It's implied the host is already paying to host it to begin with. You make your money from when they purchase your game.
Only the first wave of the PTU test servers is subscribers only. It's to catch the most obvious and game breaking bugs (and admittedly, to make money off people who can't wait a week to see the new stuff). After that there's a wave that that's open to all backers to stress test. Then it gets pushed to the live servers. An offline test server wouldn't make sense because a lot of the bugs they're trying to catch are network or server related.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
An offline test server wouldn't make sense because a lot of the bugs they're trying to catch are network or server related.
except that you said the PTU is for people who can't wait which I'd assume would be a small population. Its obviously not for testing network related problems that would be the PU server as that would be the main one that most would say is live 24/7.
it seemed more like people wanted a platform where they could cheat and try out everything on the test server. Problem here is that its obvious you could've done the same thing with an offline option.
The server component there is just an excuse for them to milk their customers a further few dollars a month for no justifiable good reason. You could also get waaaaay more testing done with dedicated servers as then you could have your customers testing all kinds of different configurations.
The problem there is that Roberts is so obsessed with single shard (even though he offers a non-single shard option for a monthly fee) that he wouldn't ever allow it.

Truth of the matter the sub only exists because the team needed constant flow of revenue. That's the real reason for it. It only takes a handful of people to make such a service profitable and justifiable in the eyes of the business.
But there's absolutely no god damn reason for it and all its really done is taken away options from the rest of the player base. They could've fixed a lot more with dedicated servers. They're repeating the same mistakes Blizzard (Diablo 3) and Bioware (TOR) have made in the past. If you tell me that this games coming out Single Shard I won't believe it. Not Even EVE Online was able to pull it off successfully, they still had to compromise to make it work.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Ok it makes sense now. Roberts intended this to be a reward system but for some reason turned it into a pay to skip and that Concierge is treated like a Lifetime Subscription (which are always scams). I understand you can still get PTU access via Merit as the different waves progress.
Roberts spent more time gamifying his monetisation than he did making the game.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Careful I've heard if you say Derek Smart 3 times on the internet he shows up. (said by someone who got into a fight with him on Youtube comments LOL yes he does actually fight people on the internet which explains the quality of his current games- shame because I unironically like Battlecruiser).

AN4RCHID

Arcane
except that you said the PTU is for people who can't wait which I'd assume would be a small population. Its obviously not for testing network related problems that would be the PU server as that would be the main one that most would say is live 24/7.
it seemed more like people wanted a platform where they could cheat and try out everything on the test server. Problem here is that its obvious you could've done the same thing with an offline option.
The server component there is just an excuse for them to milk their customers a further few dollars a month for no justifiable good reason. You could also get waaaaay more testing done with dedicated servers as then you could have your customers testing all kinds of different configurations.
The problem there is that Roberts is so obsessed with single shard (even though he offers a non-single shard option for a monthly fee) that he wouldn't ever allow it.
The first and longest wave of testing is the evocati, which CIG doesn't get paid for. It's a more plausible explanation that CIG just doesn't want the rougher builds getting out to the wider public.

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
Careful I've heard if you say Derek Smart 3 times on the internet he shows up. (said by someone who got into a fight with him on Youtube comments LOL yes he does actually fight people on the internet which explains the quality of his current games- shame because I unironically like Battlecruiser).
battlecruiser 3000ad is better than freelancer

both of those games are better than shart citizen by virtue of being released games

derek smart has every right to slap his dong in the face of chris roberts online

fucking hollywood wannabe cunt

ADL

Prophet
Fuck that noise. Applauding a game for releasing by merit of actually releasing is retarded, especially when this is the result.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
RobotSquirrel how is single shard in EVE not working? TiDi?
It has to scale down the performance to deal with the higher population numbers in the bigger corp battles. It does well under the circumstances and all but keep in mind EVE's gameplay we're not talking a persistent action game the way we are Star Citizen. So in that context I seriously doubt SC is going to be doing anything near what EVE pulled off.

Fuck that noise. Applauding a game for releasing by merit of actually releasing is retarded, especially when this is the result.
Agreed 100% agreed.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like each manufacturer in SC/SQ42 will get their own ship UI.
AEGIS from latest inside star citizen. (AEGIS is military manufacturer)
Moreover they are moving to complete physicalized interiors where each feature of ship will have its own button, light up down. Currently in inspection mode you can only take care of few things like turning engines or spooling drive.

ETA - 2027

fTHaefm.gif

They also were talking about components and engineer gameplay prototyping (Hammerhead corvette)

14q9a12zo3w51.png

blue - power relays
orange - power generators
light orange - batteries
green - thrusters
white - weapons/turrets

Looks pretty neat. ETA "not anywhere close" so probably 3042.

ADL

Prophet
just saying even a mediocre game is more competent than a pie in the sky vaporware shart
Which one would you rather play

or (not cherry picked, first result of Star Citizen gameplay 3.11)

Chris Roberts has made 10+ middling to great games.

Derek Smart has never made anything good. Anyone who treats him as if he's some thought leader in the game design space is a retard of the highest magnitude.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Anyone who treats him as if he's some thought leader in the game design space is a retard of the highest magnitude.
The irony there being this is exactly what I got into a fight with him over lol. I stated anything that is actually designed properly shouldn't need a manual and that his obsession with manuals was the main reason I argued that Battlecruiser was never a big success to begin with.
My point to him was that all the complexity of Battlecruiser could have been resolved with some tool tips and an ingame encyclopedia. I mean he's had 30 years and yet still hasn't figured out bare standard UI/UX.
That said Neither has Chris Roberts for that matter. lol

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Anyone who treats him as if he's some thought leader in the game design space is a retard of the highest magnitude.
The irony there being this is exactly what I got into a fight with him over lol. I stated anything that is actually designed properly shouldn't need a manual and that his obsession with manuals was the main reason I argued that Battlecruiser was never a big success to begin with.
My point to him was that all the complexity of Battlecruiser could have been resolved with some tool tips and an ingame encyclopedia. I mean he's had 30 years and yet still hasn't figured out bare standard UI/UX.
That said Neither has Chris Roberts for that matter. lol

Well you're a fucking retard if you think this. All the best flight simulators of yore had manuals due to complexity, even DCS has online versions if not paper ones. Derek was right to spit on you and your stupidity. Go play COD you miserable ADHD addled faggot. :spits:

Oh sorry, I didn't realise...Carry on then zoomer... :salute:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Well you're a fucking retard if you think this. All the best flight simulators of yore had manuals due to complexity

You missed my point completely but hey nice kneejerk. The argument was about why Battlecruiser never got the traction it was owed originally and why subsequent re-releases never struck the mark.
BC3000 was fantastic because it released at a time where manuals were the norm. Most people buying these games wanted complexity and BC3000 was one of the most complex sims on the market at the time.
However by the time he'd done Universal Combat the market was very opposed to what Derek was trying to sell and it was that stubbornness that prevented BC coming back in a big way because frankly UC should've been a return to form for Derek.
Granted he picked easily the worst publisher in the business. UC was one of the first BC titles to ship digitally. It translated poorly because of that over reliance on an external manual. He just never adapted to the change in the market I mean I was trying to advise him on why his games didn't get the attention they deserved and frankly I think its owed to that because the majority of people when they booted up UC complained they had no idea how to play to which Derek would always reply "read the manual" to which they would reply "where is the manual" (because most people never bother to search the install directory). That alone has cost him some customers would probably would've really liked BC but couldn't be bothered playing it because of frustration with getting into it.

I get it though complex games are great and amazing. I wasn't advocating oversimplification (I mean hell I talk about Invisible War all the time as example of what not to do). What I was addressing is why his games fail commercially.
Oh sorry, I didn't realise...Carry on then zoomer... :salute:
This is an official game dev account. My actual account is Mr_Cyberpunk on here.

Also to be clear I love manuals and I hope I could ship something similar with my own games. Its just maybe don't rely on it as the main primary means of engaging initial customers. There should be some tutorial in game and then the manual serves as a more in-depth approach.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Ok Darek.

Here are latest updates:

- Star Runner huge ship is done and already in Evocati
- First Capital ship (Idris) will go toward 3.12 but for now only as system security as last line of defense) defending rest stops and stations.

036wgpz8eaw51.png

new mining UI on Argo Mole (huge mining ship):

Mining-UI.png

Perkel

Arcane
Seems like new cloud and atmosphere tech will be coming online in 3.12 though it could be also 3.13. From ISC:

"Progress on atmospheres, clouds, and the unified ray-marcher was merged into the main development stream. This means the improvements mentioned in last month’s report should be available in the PU in a coming release."

They work on staggered dev system so 3.12 is next but they also work on 3.13 at the same time which means either this is 3.12 or 3.13. They need that tech for new port on Crusader gas giant which is floating city which was supposed to come middle of this year but was delayed due to that cloud tech not being done.

So 3.12 could bring both gas clouds and atmosphere clouds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom