Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Todd's Confessions of Mediocrity

Thrasher

Erudite
Q: What's your favorite part of game development?

A: It's the small victories, when the game is really working, you're playing it and you see an opportunity to make something more fun, by either removing something, adding something, or tweaking a game balance number.

Q: Tell us one of your recent professional insights.

A: 'Fun' does not mean 'challenge.'

More at http://www.interactive.org/features/todd_howard.asp

Spotted at RPGWatch.

Squeek

Scholar
I thought it was a boring interview, but I did smile at his answer to the first question. How do you want to be remembered? Like some kind of game-making saint, of course.

Well, it was a pretty lame question, really.

Thrasher

Erudite
It's all very lame. One might say it's the definition of lame, in scope - breadth and depth.

Thrasher

Erudite
It usually means boring, for me, at least.

Too much challenge (especially if the wrong type, or simply tedious) can mean boring too.

It's an art to get it right.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
True. But challenge just for the sake of challenge leads to frustration and it's simply not fun. I never finished GTA 3 because of some incredibly frustrating assignments and because failure meant yet another boring 5 minutes long drive across the city.

Squeek

Scholar
Straight elf said:
"A: 'Fun' does not mean 'challenge.' "

That's actually true.
I can imagine how that could be true, but in a good CRPG I think you usually want the fun to be associated with some kind of challenge. Not to be nitpicky about it, either. He didn't elaborate, and so that answer struck me as maybe accurate and ok but maybe odd and not.

It's like how some women are better lovers than others and some are actually better off just laying there. The ones who are better off just laying there aren't the good ones, but they can still be enjoyed.

That probably has nothing to do with games, but that's how I see it anyway.

Straight elf said:
True. But challenge just for the sake of challenge leads to frustration and it's simply not fun.
Not really. There is a reason why survival mode is so common in slashers. You do need to have solid mechanics and varied enemy types in your game to pull this off successfully, though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Actually, i'm pretty sure challenge equals fun. Lack of challenge is the real problem with modern games.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PST wasn't that challenging, but it is fun. Challenging is more for strategy/tactic games for moi. RPGs can be fun with just story.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mighty Mouse said:
PST wasn't that challenging, but it is fun.

Not really. Torment was pretty fucking boring in anything except setting, story and dialog, and all those were quite challenging in so far as setting, story and dialog can be challenging.

Maybe he just meant that not all fun is about challenge, which is pretty obvious anyway. He can't be stupid enough to think that no challenge whatsoever in a game is fun, even if they suck at creating challenge in their games.

Or maybe this means TES5 will take the Molyfaux route and you can't die in it.

ushdugery

Scholar
He's found other ways to provide stimulus Fat Lootz and Shiny Graffix both provide the endorphin hits that a rewarding story or progress through an engrossing challenge used to and all it is is a matter of adding some numbers and getting someone to draft you up a new Killinator Mk.4 gun.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
What about really Good adventure games? Not always that challenging, but pretty fun otherwise. Oh I get it, everyone wants to a ubermensch here. Shame about that.

nomask7

Arcane
Women are genetically unable to enjoy challenge and have no idea what they're talking about when talking about challenge. This is probably one of the main reasons why they never excel as scientists, composers, artists, writers, explorers, generic heroes, or game designers.

edit: Todd Howard is very feminine and probably gay.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well is Annie then just the exception that proves the rule, or are our hopes crushed and she's actually a man?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lyric Suite said:
Actually, i'm pretty sure challenge equals fun. Lack of challenge is the real problem with modern games.

Gokyabgu said:
Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fable 2, Fallout 3 sold well on consoles. These games prove that console gamers can enjoy deep western RPGs, not only Japanize so called RPGs.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6451

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom