Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not defending that super awkward questline, but she says they've been emailing a lot between when they met and when you do the quest.

You can send a lot of emails in a few minutes :-P. And i have a feeling that the word "email" there was used like you see it in Japanese media where they use it like IM/SMS from their phones.

But yes, time works in weird ways in RPGs where the world moves at your pace. That is the same with how long she knows you, however.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What does asexuality mean anyway?

You want to be close to someone but not have a relation that may involve sex or is not based on a preference on a certain gender?
So basically you just really want to be good friends with someone?
Nah, it is way above good friends. Asexual is no the same as aromantic (= not interest in romantic relationship).
It is basically identical to any normal romantic relationship with your primary (and usually only) partner - in a good relationship, that's a bond much stronger than friendship, where the partner becomes as important as yourself (or more, depending on your personality). You plan your life with them, kids if that's your thing, etc..

Except that there's no sexual drive.
Which to any non-asexual person just seems pretty much impossible. Understandable.

To help imagining it, I'd describe it as a total lack of interest.*
Take me, I'm 100% uninterested in sports or cars - just entirely indifferent to the whole thing. I can imagine how my life (or my personality) would be different if I was as indifferent towards sex. I can definitely say my interest or prioritization in sex has dropped significantly since I was 25 or so - it's just not as important to me as it used to be, my interests have shifted.
That doesn't mean an asexual person cannot have any sex, they just do not feel the urge or drive towards it - they can be able to fulfill their partner's needs. Of course, that depends on if the partner is fine having sex with someone who doesn't really display any "initiative" and just kind of offers themselves on a by-need basis.

* That's just one aspect of asexuality, though.
There are those who are actively afraid of it, which can (but doesn't have to) have a traumatic background.

Or, of course, you can look at it like some manchild incel and just point and laugh or say idiotic crap like "just needs a good fuck huehue". *shrugs*

Parvati undoubtedly is an attempt at the first category - thing is, asexual people typically do not display such overflowing "poetic" romanticism as she does.
That's where the whole thing falls apart for me, it would be peak cringe even if she wasn't hammering her asexuality home. And of course with her openness towards an almost complete stranger.

Edit:
Please continue to confirm your lack of education and deeply rooted sexual insecurities by retard-rating a post about sexuality. It's like outing yourself :lol:

Last edited:

Avarize

Magister
This is internally consistent in the game though: she only knows Junlei for only the few hours you are on the Groundbreaker :-P.
It's also realistic. Someone who is asexual would probably have other mental illnesses etc.
No interest in sex.
Like the poster above me is saying modern asexuals have all sorts caveats added to that but that's because it's a socially performative identity for retards, not an actual orientation.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Just beat the game with a bootlicker run - sided with the colonists on edgewater, got fuck all for it, so I joined up with the board. Killed edgewater. Let the lady become the new whatever. Shot phineas in the head. Now I'm playing a "too stupid to think for himself melee man" run. Gonna see if its possible to fly into the sun. ooga ooga

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Some cringe California dialog and short haired ladies aside, complete lack of any challenge whatsoever is the game's main problem. Not even just combat challenge, but challenge at doing anything.

Agree on lack of challenge at doing anything

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Some cringe California dialog and short haired ladies aside, complete lack of any challenge whatsoever is the game's main problem. Not even just combat challenge, but challenge at doing anything.

Agree on lack of challenge at doing anything

i found this pretty strange, the only time the game was really hard was because I hadn't picked up a new set of weapons and armor lately. The Final Boss of the corpo run was a little tough too, but only because I forgot to bring shock weapons, which was remedied by me re-loading the game, installing one of the 50+ mods I'd picked up in my eight hour playthrough and then steamrolling the boss. That was on hard, I can't imagine what Normal/Easy are like.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
i found this pretty strange, the only time the game was really hard was because I hadn't picked up a new set of weapons and armor lately. The Final Boss of the corpo run was a little tough too, but only because I forgot to bring shock weapons, which was remedied by me re-loading the game, installing one of the 50+ mods I'd picked up in my eight hour playthrough and then steamrolling the boss. That was on hard, I can't imagine what Normal/Easy are like.

Yeah that final boss and some of the prisoners were bullet sponges on hard, but I wouldn't call them difficult really. Also I had like 300 of whatever they called stimpaks.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Yeah that final boss and some of the prisoners were bullet sponges on hard, but I wouldn't call them difficult really. Also I had like 300 of whatever they called stimpaks.

Yeah that was wild, I thought Fallout 3 was "easy" for putting stimpacks as loot in boxes everywhere but at least 8/10 enemies I killed had adreno. What the fuck

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Codex whiners being thrown off by graphical quality methinks.

It's not a quality issue. You need to be a decent artist to draw women that ugly that consistently. Its more like the character design is an indicator of what sort of game it wants to be. Anyway everyone knew this game was going to be targeted at zoomer console players ever since the fat man rambled on about triangles and whatnot a few years ago.

And this has always felt like a $9.99 w/ all the DLC during the Christmas 2021 steam sale sort of purchase.

It is without question by design. The comic book industry has been pushing this aesthetic of "everyone is androgynous brown people" for a long time. I noticed it creeping into the games industry via the indie scene.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
It is without question by design. The comic book industry has been pushing this aesthetic of "everyone is androgynous brown people" for a long time. I noticed it creeping into the games industry via the indie scene.

Comics have become worse than that with New Warriors and Gotham High where the reasons beyond character choices and plots make no sense at all except for a poor agenda and sense of how to communicate that agenda

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Codex whiners being thrown off by graphical quality methinks.

It's not a quality issue. You need to be a decent artist to draw women that ugly that consistently. Its more like the character design is an indicator of what sort of game it wants to be. Anyway everyone knew this game was going to be targeted at zoomer console players ever since the fat man rambled on about triangles and whatnot a few years ago.

And this has always felt like a $9.99 w/ all the DLC during the Christmas 2021 steam sale sort of purchase.

t. person who never played Drafgon Age III

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Comics have become worse than that with New Warriors and Gotham High where the reasons beyond character choices and plots make no sense at all except for a poor agenda and sense of how to communicate that agenda

Yea comics industry is a hilarious meme dumpster fire atm, took years and gallons of SJW sweat and tears to get that way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GOG interviewed Tim and Leonard https://af.gog.com/news/the_outer_w...r_take_themselves_too_seriously?as=1649904300

Selections:

Tim Cain: I think the visual look of the game was the hardest element to nail down.

Leonard Boyarsky: As soon as we started talking about what we wanted to do things started to fall into place pretty quickly, and, even though we hadn’t worked together for a while, we fell back into our old creative roles immediately, with Tim bringing the silly and me bringing the dark, and both of us riffing off each other to find the offbeat humor we both love. I think the visual look was the hardest because, besides having a lot of ideas we wanted to explore, we also needed to define our own distinctive look.

In the past, when we were doing the original Fallout and Arcanum, it was much more organic because the team was so small and we were just following our ideas wherever they led, and there weren’t a lot of games doing retro or alt future type worlds at the time. Now, there’s a ‘punk’ for everything – steampunk, atom punk, etc., so it’s harder to find your own original lane. Fortunately, we had a great art team led by Daniel Alpert who took our ideas and ran with them.

"great"

Of course they both value reactivity over all things in RPGs:

Tim Cain: I think gamers like our games’ reactivity to what kind of character they make and how they act in the game world. It’s the best feeling when the game reacts to something the player does because it’s like the developers are sitting there with them, nodding and saying “we saw what you did there”. Also, our games never take themselves too seriously, so gamers know they can have fun with them

.Leonard Boyarsky: I can’t speak to ‘the perfect modern RPG’, just the RPGs we like to make. And, for us, the most important things are creating compelling worlds for players to explore with any character they can conceive of, and, perhaps most importantly, having the world react to those character’s choices.

No regrets with regards to being Safesidian:

Looking back from the day of the game’s premiere, which one of its elements makes you most proud today?

Leonard Boyarsky: For me, the fact that we were able to ship a finished, polished game that has its own unique identity, on time and on budget, is a proud accomplishment. There were of course things I wish we’d done differently, and parts of the game I wish we’d been able to push further, but, even after all this time, shipping a game with a new IP that was only a figment of our imagination 3 years before still amazes me.

Tim Cain: Three of the biggest sources of inspiration for this game were Firefly, Fallout, and Futurama (The Three F’s, so to speak). But there were so many other sources too, including early 20th-century science fiction stories. In many ways, Hugo Gernsback inspired elements of this game, probably unknowingly.

Leonard Boyarsky: Unless he was much more forward-thinking than we thought, Tim. Besides the Three F’s, we also were heavily influenced by both Deadwood and True Grit for their use of language. Tonally, it seems like our games have always been influenced in some way by Brazil and the early Simpsons, but for TOW we also added the work of the Coen Bros and Wes Anderson into the mix.

Deadwood and True Grit? That's new to me. Isn't Deadwood known for its absurd amount of cursing? Is that true for TOW?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deadwood and True Grit? That's new to me. Isn't Deadwood known for its absurd amount of cursing? Is that true for TOW?

It doesn't have much cursing, but there are characters who speak with a sort of brusque Wild West cadence. Eg, that early screenshot with the guard Berke.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Asexual is a blanket term for all deviants[fetishists, perverts, paraphilics] who get sexual pleasure not from intimacy and partner, but situations and items. Like a guy wanking to rubber boots, or someone stuffing their vagina with insects. That's my take. Everyone has sexual desire, unless you drink a gallon of bromide everyday. It's just more convenient and less shameful to call yourself asexual instead of a pervert.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
GOG interviewed Tim and Leonard https://af.gog.com/news/the_outer_w...r_take_themselves_too_seriously?as=1649904300

Selections:

Tim Cain: I think the visual look of the game was the hardest element to nail down.

Leonard Boyarsky: As soon as we started talking about what we wanted to do things started to fall into place pretty quickly, and, even though we hadn’t worked together for a while, we fell back into our old creative roles immediately, with Tim bringing the silly and me bringing the dark, and both of us riffing off each other to find the offbeat humor we both love. I think the visual look was the hardest because, besides having a lot of ideas we wanted to explore, we also needed to define our own distinctive look.

In the past, when we were doing the original Fallout and Arcanum, it was much more organic because the team was so small and we were just following our ideas wherever they led, and there weren’t a lot of games doing retro or alt future type worlds at the time. Now, there’s a ‘punk’ for everything – steampunk, atom punk, etc., so it’s harder to find your own original lane. Fortunately, we had a great art team led by Daniel Alpert who took our ideas and ran with them.

"great"

Tim Cain: I think gamers like our games’ reactivity to what kind of character they make and how they act in the game world. It’s the best feeling when the game reacts to something the player does because it’s like the developers are sitting there with them, nodding and saying “we saw what you did there”. Also, our games never take themselves too seriously, so gamers know they can have fun with them

.Leonard Boyarsky: I can’t speak to ‘the perfect modern RPG’, just the RPGs we like to make. And, for us, the most important things are creating compelling worlds for players to explore with any character they can conceive of, and, perhaps most importantly, having the world react to those character’s choices.

Looking back from the day of the game’s premiere, which one of its elements makes you most proud today?

Leonard Boyarsky: For me, the fact that we were able to ship a finished, polished game that has its own unique identity, on time and on budget, is a proud accomplishment. There were of course things I wish we’d done differently, and parts of the game I wish we’d been able to push further, but, even after all this time, shipping a game with a new IP that was only a figment of our imagination 3 years before still amazes me.

Tim Cain: Three of the biggest sources of inspiration for this game were Firefly, Fallout, and Futurama (The Three F’s, so to speak). But there were so many other sources too, including early 20th-century science fiction stories. In many ways, Hugo Gernsback inspired elements of this game, probably unknowingly.

Leonard Boyarsky: Unless he was much more forward-thinking than we thought, Tim. Besides the Three F’s, we also were heavily influenced by both Deadwood and True Grit for their use of language. Tonally, it seems like our games have always been influenced in some way by Brazil and the early Simpsons, but for TOW we also added the work of the Coen Bros and Wes Anderson into the mix.

I hope the next their next game gets announced soon. The reactivity of Outer Worlds is pretty freaking good, especialy on the companion part.

The Jester

Cipher

Selections:

"great"

Wunderbar

Arcane
no, but there is a short-haired woman sheriff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom