Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got bored so I started thinking about stupid things.

Couldn’t Obsidian - in theory - make Awoved a blobber even if it ”worked” and if it absolutely had to work like Skyrim on the surface with little party management, no grid movement, not turnbased.

Like building a party and then using the HUD to choose (from your characters; freely at any point in time) a so called ”team leader” whose viewpoint works as the controlled ”character/camera” and whose attacks are amplified by the rest of the party members with multipliers appropriate to their build and weapon (you’d need to change the ”leader” according to the situation at hand, i.e. if you wanted to go from melee to ranged or heavier magic). With an option for ”tactical” pause to assign multitarget attacks, kinda like a realtime version of Wizardry 8.

Not that they would, and I have no idea if that would actually work or be fun, but in theory.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
On the topic of magic vs technology, I'd like to see more cases where magic is used as part of technology.
One gripe I have with D&D magic is how convenient it is to use: Fireball gets aimed perfectly and only explodes on hit, Stoneskin transforms your skin with no downside or after-effects, the inhabitant of an Otiluke Resilient Sphere doesn't run out of breathable air, and so on.

What if Fireball was actually three spells rolled into one - partly the creation of flammable material, partly the propulsion of the material at a certain speed and in the right direction, and partly the ignition upon contact? If magic was something that could easily be miscast if any part of the spell was performed incorrectly, then you might see people using tools - like a cylinder to aim and launch fireballs from - to replace parts of the spells, making them easier and more reliable to cast.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
On the topic of magic vs technology, I'd like to see more cases where magic is used as part of technology.
One gripe I have with D&D magic is how convenient it is to use: Fireball gets aimed perfectly and only explodes on hit, Stoneskin transforms your skin with no downside or after-effects, the inhabitant of an Otiluke Resilient Sphere doesn't run out of breathable air, and so on.

What if Fireball was actually three spells rolled into one - partly the creation of flammable material, partly the propulsion of the material at a certain speed and in the right direction, and partly the ignition upon contact? If magic was something that could easily be miscast if any part of the spell was performed incorrectly, then you might see people using tools - like a cylinder to aim and launch fireballs from - to replace parts of the spells, making them easier and more reliable to cast.

I think that scenario is possible if the use of magic is widespread that even a lowly peasant can cast a magic easily, the more people using magic widespread the more people start to apply magic for everything their doing in daily life including looking to improve existing technique or technology.

Such scenario isn't possible if magic is limited to select few individual that have potential as mage. Less people leads to slow progress to discover the new ways to apply magic on technologies.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This is called "science fantasy". Like, you need some material to create a fireball - some metal, for example; so you manage not only your "mana" or whatever, but also the ammo for the fireballs. Wizard heats the material transforming some "magickal energy" from his reserves into the heat, next he launches it using some telekinesis or something...

This shit will make for an excellent RPG magic system. Like, choosing different materials for the different effect of the fireball; some sacks of oil for the general low damage AoE fireball, steel for high-penetration fireball, small steel balls for the buckshot like fireballs, etc. Same spell, different ammo.

If you think that this is too similar to guns and redundant, let's just assume that this world can't produce enough powder, kek.

Salvo

Arcane
This is called "science fantasy". Like, you need some material to create a fireball - some metal, for example; so you manage not only your "mana" or whatever, but also the ammo for the fireballs. Wizard heats the material transforming some "magickal energy" from his reserves into the heat, next he launches it using some telekinesis or something...

This shit will make for an excellent RPG magic system. Like, choosing different materials for the different effect of the fireball; some sacks of oil for the general low damage AoE fireball, steel for high-penetration fireball, small steel balls for the buckshot like fireballs, etc. Same spell, different ammo.

If you think that this is too similar to guns and redundant, let's just assume that this world can't produce enough powder, kek.

I think you'd like Mistborn by Sanderson. Has a really well-made material components based magic system.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Do the Obsidian folks really believe they are going to cut into the Bethesda market?

The only reason Bethesda is so popular is because Todd Howard has mafia-style connections with Hollywood which put pressure on the gaming industry to shove uncritical praise to all the shit they produced, something which i think started with Morrowind though i personally only started to notice later on. I remember one review (i think it was IGN, can't remember) showering the graphics of Oblivion with unstrained praise despite the game looking like a total pile of shit right in the screenshots used in the article itself.

I think it's clear at this point that normies are beyond fucking retarded. Like, literally lacking cognition and can be made to believe anything as long as you can present it as part of the general consensus. Obsidian doesn't have the kind of connections to get that kind of "mainstream" coverage so even if they could produce a game that is far superior to Skyrim in every possible way they'd still fail to make a dent, and at this point i wouldn't trust nuObsidian to actually make a better game than Skyrim in the first place.

purupuru

Learned
I got bored so I started thinking about stupid things.

Couldn’t Obsidian - in theory - make Awoved a blobber even if it ”worked” and if it absolutely had to work like Skyrim on the surface with little party management.

Like building a party and then using the HUD to choose (from your characters; freely at any point in time) a so called ”team leader” whose viewpoint works as the controlled ”character/camera” and whose attacks are amplified by the rest of the party members with multipliers appropriate to their build and weapon (you’d need to change the ”leader” according to the situation at hand, i.e. if you wanted to go from melee to ranged or heavier magic). With an option for ”tactical” pause to assign multitarget attacks, kinda like a realtime version of Wizardry 8.

Not that they would, and I have no idea if that would actually work or be fun, but in theory.
Sounds a lot like one of those semi-action JRPGs (Tales of, FFXV, FF7re, etc). I really hate those, even if there are good combat mechanics underneath, the awkward control and camera just ruins the flow. It's basically rtwp but with party AI and camera shittier than NWN2.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The only reason Bethesda is so popular is because Todd Howard has mafia-style connections with Hollywood which put pressure on the gaming industry to shove uncritical praise to all the shit they produced

Chad Todd has nothing to do with it except his sweet lies
He's just the coffee boy (((ZeniMax))) allows to "run" Betheseda

The reason why Beth is so popular is because ZeniMax has a shit tons of money to burn in massive marketing campgains that can generate autistic amounts of hype
Something that before Skyrim came out, and specially before Oblivion, hasn't a very common practice in the industry

The second reason is the fact that Beth games are huge sandboxes but unlike other sandboxes they offer unparalleled larping potential, free of any consequences (ever since Oblivion that is)

Obsidian won't be able to cut Beth market simply because they don't have the resources to the hype their games like Beth can
Plus they shouldn't even try as even normies, after the failure of F4 and F76, are sick of Bethsoft's sandboxes

Rafidur

Learned

IIRC Arcanum has a book about combining both -
a dude reads theoretical healing magic literature about tiny invisible demons causing disease, then turns to technology to invent some sort of "reverse telescope" that can actually see them. Sadly having both working together was not explored outside of that.

edit: https://arcanum.fandom.com/wiki/Treatise_on_the_Causes_of_Disease

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Yeah Arcanum is the universe that magic and technology can't coexist each other, even if you make all people in arcanum to be able to cast magic easily and making/using technology well.
There's barrier that prevent people to applying their magic into technology and making a progress/innovation from it.

The only universe that i can think of that people using/fusing it their magic into technology and done it very well with lore/world building to support it, is from non-gaming.
The animated TV Show Avatar The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra.

Last edited:

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Legend of Korra did it well despite themes

I like how they advanced the magic and technology based on the Last Airbender - unusual benders in Last Airbender became commonplace in Korra, which was a nice magical evolution

Bara

Arcane
Yeah Arcanum is the universe that magic and technology can't coexist each other, even if you make all people in arcanum to be able to cast magic easily and making/using technology well.
There's barrier that prevent people to applying their magic into technology and making a progress/innovation from it.

The only universe that i can think of that people using/fusing it their magic into technology and done it very well with lore/world building to support it is from non-gaming. The animated TV Show Avatar The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra.

Wasn't one of the possible endings if you became a god in Arcanum leading the world into a golden age of magic and technology?

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Wasn't one of the possible endings if you became a god in Arcanum leading the world into a golden age of magic and technology?

Idk, it's been long time since i replay Arcanum.

But i don't think thats count, It will better if the world progress without your input. It makes the world feels more alive.

It also better if the settings already have an advancement and progress in using/fusing magic to technology on their daily life by the time your character start. Makes me wish there's competent rpg developer to develop a game in The Legend of Korra settings.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Do the Obsidian folks really believe they are going to cut into the Bethesda market?

The only reason Bethesda is so popular is because Todd Howard has mafia-style connections with Hollywood which put pressure on the gaming industry to shove uncritical praise to all the shit they produced, something which i think started with Morrowind though i personally only started to notice later on.

Nah it's pretty much everything to do with the fact that people were, in fact, wowed by the early footage of both Oblivion and Skyrim, something that's as provable as looking at people's reactions to their releases. What world do you live in? Metal Gear Solid 2? "The La Li Lu Le Lo are making up what's popular and what's not!" Take your medication, schizo. Good lo- oh it's lyric suite hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you got me, good on ya

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Two things Obsidan unable to break into Bethesda market share are.

1. Open world FPS/TPS RPG but doesn't have an easy to use modkit on par with Bethesda Creation Engine.
2. Bethesda Godly marketing skill, eventhough their game is fairly mediocre but the marketing and building the hype is unlike anything else i have seen in Triple A RPG Industry.
Maybe only CDPR can close to that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Two things Obsidan unable to break into Bethesda market share are.

1. Open world FPS/TPS RPG but doesn't have easy to use modkit on par with Bethesda Creation Engine.
2. Bethesda Goldly marketing skill, eventhough their game is fairly mediocre but the marketing and building the hype is unlike anything else i have seen in Triple A RPG Industry.
Maybe only CDPR can close to that.

Remember in 2004 when halo 2's marketing was 'out of this world" because of a handful of billboard signs and Mountain Dew flavors?

Now most of these big budget games are machines, titans that eat everything. harry P did a cute little cartoon.
That's a cute little cartoon that kind of mocks that level of hype a bit, and then he did another one.
To this day, I am genuinely impressed with this advertisement because its messaging is incredible.
Like,
1. video games suck now because there was a minor fad of fitness games four years prior and a bunch of cooking sims and rhythym games, which isn't "hardcore" gaming. The idea is to get you into the headspace this game needs: that this is a "hardcore" game for hardcore gamers.
2. That these weird, ugly, balding mid-30's nerds of 2011 apparently have never heard of Skyrim 6 days before its fucking release. If this shit wasn't paid for by Bethesda then Henry Patridge is the single most Useful Idiot in capitalist history, because he then just starts to list features for a game with an enormous marketing campaign, preorder bonuses, etc.
3. The deception on display on what "radiant stories" were is hilarious, but the interesting part is that there's a couple lines about how the guy's a loser who has to do lots of homework, with a shit job and no dating options, but the message is clear: "Buy this game instead of improving on yourself, which your clearly need, being a fat ugly fuck going nowhere in life, but haha meme meme it doesnt matter bro you can just buy skyrim"

Honestly it's mind blowing how crazy ads get. bethesda is a machine.

I also love their trailers. The Outer World's trailer was pretty okay, it felt fallout-y. But Fallout 3/4's trailers (Initial reveal) are just masterclass. A lot of this is because Bethesda's marketing is "high concept" in a way that Obshitian's games are not. I mean "High Concept" in the sense that you need very little information to "grok" the game and what they're attempting to do with it.

If you look at the Fallout 4 wanderer trailer it's amazing, masterclass shit. A decent song from back in the day, shows america getting nuked, guy leaving some kind of cave, walking around a bunch of blasted locales, shooting BoS guys, and eventually getting into his own suit of Power Armor.

Then you get the Trailer for the Outer worlds: "Hi its um um um there's pew pew in it and like, you need to make choices, but you dont need to shoot people, urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the corporations own everything and uh uh the guys who made good games literal decades ago are making it maybe!"

Avowed is going to be a nightmare to market compared to an Elder Scrolls Game. Like, Skyrim is fucking gold too: look! dragons! swords! axes! vikings! undead! go! Avowed's trailer looks like shit in comparison. For one, the more voiceover you use the more people have to pay attention and the more you shit the bed completely. You get a generic battlefield. Generic man with wolf statue, looks very LOTR, generic Helms deep, snooze, even a boring balrog, 'dug too deep' thing going on here. Do not forget that this is a setting made by josh sawyer, so the law is that there'll be endless amounts of terrible loredumping.

Basically this game is fucked marketing wise unless they get Bethesda to come over and show them how to do their jobs.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Avowed need Bethesda Marketing department, maybe Microsoft can bring them as consultant and use their expertise to market the game.

I have a faith for Bethesda Marketing to use their skill properly to make a banal boring setting from POE into masterclass must have Triple A RPG on par with Bethesda title.

The same faith doesn't include the Current Obsidian Development team however.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Avowed need Bethesda Marketing department, maybe Microsoft can bring them as consultant and use their expertise to market the game.

I have a faith for Bethesda Marketing to use their skill properly to make a banal boring setting from POE into masterclass must have Triple A RPG on par with Bethesda title.

We shall see. On one hand, they can make the most generic looking game (Oblivion) look very exciting, on the other hand, PoE is interesting in all the ways a Historian likes history and the average gamer does not.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

We shall see. On one hand, they can make the most generic looking game (Oblivion) look very exciting, on the other hand, PoE is interesting in all the ways a Historian likes history and the average gamer does not.

Not a good historian. The story was the weak link in PoE.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sounds a lot like one of those semi-action JRPGs (Tales of, FFXV, FF7re, etc).

Yeah, but that's not exactly what I was going for. My explanations of sudden ideas aren't usually very... clear cut.

Codex Year of the Donut
A cinematic trailer for PoE about the conflict at the Evon Dewer bridge with The Dozen and Waidwen's forces would have been cool.
Then again, the idea of making a bomb to blow up a god is cool. Maybe that should have actually been a part of the game instead of the shit we got.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom