Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stirring Abyss Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Sleepy Sentry; Slitherine; Stirring Abyss

Stirring Abyss, the Lovecraftian deep sea tactical RPG from Finnish indie studio Sleepy Sentry, is finally out today after over four years of development thanks to the assistance of strategy game publisher Slitherine. Several of our users tried out the free demo that was available earlier this month during the Steam Autumn Game Festival and found it to be decent. Over the past two weeks, Slitherine published three additional sneak peek updates with details about the game's mutations, skills, items and traits. For the launch, they've put together both a creepy cinematic launch trailer and a two minute gameplay overview. I'll post them here along with the accompanying press release:

Epsom, October 29th. Stirring Abyss, the squad based tactical RPG inspired by H. P. Lovecraft's mythology, is now out on PC.

Stirring Abyss is the story of a submarine crew which bogs down at the bottom of the Ocean during the Cold War. They are forced to explore the bottom of a sea where unspeakable horrors and tentacled abominations run rampant. Loosely based on Lovecraft's short novel The Temple, Stirring Abyss is the first indie game published by Slitherine under the K-Project program.

For those passionate about narrative gameplay, Stirring Abyss comes with a Narrative Mode that is perfect for players who are more interested in story and exploration. If you’re looking for a spooky adventure game set in the Lovecraftian universe, this mode will give you chills with little challenge.

On the contrary if you are an expert strategy player who craves challenge, Stirring Abyss’s Hard mode will test even the most experienced players. You must manage extremely limited resources and survive stronger and more deadly enemies if you are to have any hope of escape.

In Stirring Abyss you follow the horrifying destiny of the members of the USS Salem’s crew, as they suffer from disturbing nightmares and hallucinations after the discovery of an ancient, cursed relic. In Story Mode, you slowly unravel the mysteries of the depths in a desperate quest to rescue your missing crewmembers and fix the crippled Salem. The choices you make determine the fate of your crew – and that of the entire world.

Every expedition lives or dies by the strength of its crew. You have a diverse array of character traits and skills at your disposal, each opening exciting new options for both combat and story events. As you delve ever deeper, you may also subject your crew to powerful but grisly mutations; the price of survival is high, and no one escapes the abyss unchanged.

The horrors of the void hiding in the deep waters can become too much to bear, and your crew may experience episodes of exhaustion and insanity. Will their psyche get stronger, or will it be forever damaged? Only a game of dice with Fate itself will determine the outcome.

Salvaged resources can be turned into weapons, armor, or other useful supplies – or used to repair and upgrade the Salem, giving your crew a crucial edge in the fight for survival. The more you explore the abyss during the missions, the more chance you have of finding lost treasures of the deep.

The hauntingly beautiful environment holds many secrets and mysteries to explore, but danger lurks just outside the feeble circles of light you can bring with you. Be wise, and use your skills to scout the black waters and light up the path: unseen terrors may be hiding just out of sight.

Endless Mode pits your crew in a roguelike battle against a never-ending army of enemies that will grow stronger and stronger as you progress. It is the ultimate test of strategic ability as you not only decide how to improve your own squad, but also pick your poison and choose which powers your foes will gain.

Looks pretty cool. If you want to check it out, Stirring Abyss is available now on Steam and GOG for a reasonable $25, with a 15% launch discount until next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yoink! Those cheeky asses! And here I was worried it'd be steam exclusive.

In Stirring Abyss you follow the horrifying destiny of the members of the USS Salem’s crew, as they suffer from disturbing nightmares and hallucinations after the discovery of an ancient, cursed relic.
TRIPPY!!!
bVp8Pjh.gif

67xc6Mw.gif

h5oz037.gif

jAyvRxY.gif

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Yeah it looks the same as Stygian and Alder's Blood i.e. children's cartoon i.e. shit
It's pretty hilarious that the most Lovecraftian games are the ones that don't mention Lovecraft at all. Also I don't get all of this paroxysm with the cartoonish graphics.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's pretty hilarious that the most Lovecraftian games are the ones that don't mention Lovecraft at all. Also I don't get all of this paroxysm with the cartoonish graphics.

Indeed. See for example Clive Barkers Undying which is more Lovecraftian than any of these, yet it doesn't feel the need to reference Innsmouth or Miskatonic University at every corner like some pop quiz.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Tempted to buy this, but it looks like pile of shite presentation-wise and I can't recall a time when I bought a Slitherine game close to release and wasn't disappointed.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And now I'm really hungry for a tunafish sandwich .... with lettuce. Maybe some pickles. Mayo or Miraclewhip? White bread or something more eerie....

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This ain't JRPG... then again... Baldur's Gate..
Cthulhu-pony.jpg

moe-girl-cthulhu-jpg.19659

Happy_Valentine_2009_by_ikura_maru.jpg
The real terrors
J4tpaWK.jpg

cthulhu-make-america-great.jpg

wageslave_large.jpg

1455127003-0.jpg

1455127003-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bladderfish

Augur

Indeed. See for example Clive Barkers Undying which is more Lovecraftian than any of these, yet it doesn't feel the need to reference Innsmouth or Miskatonic University at every corner like some pop quiz.
And Bloodborne. Who'd have thought the Japs could do cosmic horror so well?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
A Lovecraft Mythos game which DOESN'T look like shit? Glorious.

Don't let your hopes get too high. Lovecraft games always seem like they're going to be really good... and then you actually play them.

My feelings exactly. This game looks so good! ... and nearly impossible to ruin. Yet, in the past other devs have somehow managed to stuff it up.

Nevertheless, will buy when it comes out after I see some reviews. The iso 2D alone looks amazingly apt for a game like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom