Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The best arpg for Necromancy is Grim Dawn with appropriate mastery mods. Worst case you can spec out your own Necro mastery super easily using the assets from the 2 major mastery mod packs. I did that. Different melee skele minions for different roles, etc.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even in pure GD, much less mods, what necro spells are you using with cooldowns? The summons? Cause CoF has functionally no cooldown. Also isn't cooldowns and gear dependency every arpg?

Even for animate dead, you need cooldown.

Anyway, ARPG means action role playing game. Gothic 3 is an ARPG, TES is an ARPG.... But if you think on diablo clones, Naked necro vs ancients on d2

deama

Prophet
that dark bestiary game is $5 now
any ghould? (haha haloween pun :) )

but srsly
is it any ghould?

hahahahaha
Was decent when I played it a month or two ago.
Biggest problem for me was the limited skill bar, you only get like 6 slots and as far as I can tell, you can't increase it.
I'd say it's definitely worth the $5, can replay it with different builds as well if you fancy.

deama

Prophet
The best arpg for Necromancy is Grim Dawn with appropriate mastery mods. Worst case you can spec out your own Necro mastery super easily using the assets from the 2 major mastery mod packs. I did that. Different melee skele minions for different roles, etc.
Is there a mod that increases the summon limit in necro tree by a lot? I think the highest I ever managed to get my skeletons was at 11 max, but I'd like that to be double at least; though I can't find anything to increase that.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Is there a mod that increases the summon limit in necro tree by a lot? I think the highest I ever managed to get my skeletons was at 11 max, but I'd like that to be double at least; though I can't find anything to increase that.
I mean it takes 5 seconds to fix yourself. But you'd have to rebalance skeletons afterwards unless you don't care about balance. I don't personally but some people do.

The max from the unmodded game is 14 if you really push it though that has costs. You might rather try something like adding the titan quest mastery mod and taking spirit or adding the mod that adds diablo 2 and 3 necromancers as masteries.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Go here: Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\gdx1

Copy and add to the mod folder under another name.

Go here: Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\modname\database\records\skills\playerclass08\summon_skeleton2.dbr

Ctrl-F petLimit and change what you like.

Delete the arz file here: Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\modname

Go to: Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\AssetManager.exe

Rebuild the arz file.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
that dark bestiary game is $5 now
any ghould? (haha haloween pun :) )

but srsly
is it any ghould?

hahahahaha
Was decent when I played it a month or two ago.
Biggest problem for me was the limited skill bar, you only get like 6 slots and as far as I can tell, you can't increase it.
I'd say it's definitely worth the $5, can replay it with different builds as well if you fancy.

I gave in and picked the game up and uhhhh
well I do like making zombies so that's a +

HOWEVER whoever balanced the stats/attributes must have been on crack, defense and resistance are totally useless (each point reduces damage taken by like .1% lmao what is this). I made a melee fighter and immediately just sold all of my armor and everything I got from quests, pump all points into health and minion buffs, and now I'm a naked melee fighter who summons a bunch of skeletons and self heals and I'm totally broken OP decimating everything

also the art style is pretty shit tbh
It was kinda fun for like 2 hours tho just disappointing in the end

deama

Prophet

Go here: Steam\steamapps\common\Grim Dawn\mods\modname\database\records\skills\playerclass08\summon_skeleton2.dbr

Rebuild the arz file.
Any ideas how to extract .arz file and build it? The gitlab tools that one guy posted give me a 404 error.

EDIT: Ok so I found out how to use archivetool.exe, but there is no summon_skeleton2.dbr under playerclass08, there's just pets, and it's empty, in fact, the .records folder that's produced is 0KB with only folders inside.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Rebuild the arz file.
Any ideas how to extract .arz file and build it? The gitlab tools that one guy posted give me a 404 error.

EDIT: Ok so I found out how to use archivetool.exe, but there is no summon_skeleton2.dbr under playerclass08, there's just pets, and it's empty, in fact, the .records folder that's produced is 0KB with only folders inside.

You went to played class08 in dx1 folder? that's the expansion folder. not the base game folder or dx2 which have it empty.

deama

Prophet
You went to played class08 in dx1 folder? that's the expansion folder. not the base game folder or dx2 which have it empty.
No? I extracted gdx1 like you said.
I think the extraction went wrong cause there's no files inside of any of the folders, how am I supposed to extract it?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I think the extraction went wrong cause there's no files inside of any of the folders, how am I supposed to extract it?
Wait, does the gdx1 folder have files in your base installation? It should. You shouldn't need to extract just rebuild.

deama

Prophet
Wait, does the gdx1 folder have files in your base installation? It should. You shouldn't need to extract just rebuild.
Yes, but inside of database folder I have GDX1.arz.
Here's what it looks like inside of the GDX1 folder:
Code:
+---database
|       GDX1.arz
|
+---resources
|       Conversations.
|       Creatures.arc
|       FX.arc
|       Items.arc
|       Level Art.arc
|       Levels.arc
|       Quests.arc
|       Scripts.arc
|       Sound.arc
|       Terrain Textur
|       Text_EN.arc
|       UI.arc
|
\---video
        GDX1_intro.ogg
        GDX1_intro.txt

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Yes, but inside of database folder I have GDX1.arz.
Here's what it looks like inside of the GDX1 folder:
Code:
+---database
|       GDX1.arz
|
+---resources
|       Conversations.
|       Creatures.arc
|       FX.arc
|       Items.arc
|       Level Art.arc
|       Levels.arc
|       Quests.arc
|       Scripts.arc
|       Sound.arc
|       Terrain Textur
|       Text_EN.arc
|       UI.arc
|
\---video
        GDX1_intro.ogg
        GDX1_intro.txt
Copy paste what you put into the command line to extract files.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Should be 3 lines I believe.

directory you have it in, place you want it to be, and the -database line

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

You have a Black Magic aka Necromancer as well as a Demonic skill tree. You can summon skeletons (up to 2 melee, 1 archer, 1 mage) out of thin air additionally summon up to 5 zombies from corpses (highest upgrade as Aura automatically every second provided there are fresh corpses), summon a demon and flesh corpse golem. So all in all up to 11 summons at a time, which is basically half an army all by yourself.

Additionally there's the expected skills like corpse explosion, life leech, death fog and some debuffs like slower movement, attack speed, resistances which work well with a high level skill which summons a scythe that deals more damage for each debuff on the enemy.

If you are looking for the "classic" Necromancer experience I think Spellforce meets the criteria quite well.

Shitposter

You have a Black Magic aka Necromancer as well as a Demonic skill tree. You can summon skeletons (up to 2 melee, 1 archer, 1 mage) out of thin air additionally summon up to 5 zombies from corpses (highest upgrade as Aura automatically every second provided there are fresh corpses), summon a demon and flesh corpse golem. So all in all up to 11 summons at a time, which is basically half an army all by yourself.

Additionally there's the expected skills like corpse explosion, life leech, death fog and some debuffs like slower movement, attack speed, resistances which work well with a high level skill which summons a scythe that deals more damage for each debuff on the enemy.

If you are looking for the "classic" Necromancer experience I think Spellforce meets the criteria quite well.

of course I find out about this like a day after the 75% off sale ends
:negative:

Aemar

Arcane
That said, the things who make good necromancy IMO are
  • Be distinct mechanic and lore wise than regular magic
  • Allow you to feel like the master of life and death itself
  • Allow multiple summons and a progression on summons
  • Put nasty curses on the enemy or "debuffs"
  • Become inhuman. Vampire or Lich preferentially
  • Able to use enemy lifeforce against itself
  • Have impact on NPC interactions
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has everything you mentioned, minus the NPC interaction part. There are 17 necromantic spells contained within 4 specific books (only one being readily available), and two patron gods that can bestow boons upon those players following this path. There are also different mechanics according to the selected species, even within the undead category itself (vampire, mummy, ghoul).

Best necromancy on RPG's:

Bethesda, without a doubt. First, they resurrected Fallout's corpse and turned it into some sort of undead abomination with Fallout 3. Then, they made it into an even worse abomination (Fallout 4), followed by resurrecting it's fossilized turds (Fallout 76). But then, they displayed their true mastery of the art, and resurrected what was a skeleton in the first place (Skyrim) into various undead versions (Remastered, VR, Mobile, etc).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
latest
03H1Amh.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom