Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Partisans 1941 - real-time tactics in WW2 Russia

panda

Savant
The game is really fun, i definitely like it more than nu-Desperados, even though it is not that polished. Popamole combat's rules are merciless, deadly and usually lead to fast and complete annihilation of any unprepared target, but fairly work both ways so your guys will just waste ammo vs well positioned squad. And ammo, especially for automatic weapons is scarсe. Rules force you plan proper ambushes and'll reward with spectacular slaughter. Seeing 6 and more enemies caught in the crossfire and obliterated within seconds while our side had only 3 dudes(and only one of them with semi-automatic rifle) is very, very satisfying.
Of course can also go full stealth with sneaky partizans, or bruteforce any encounter by "consumables": explosives, extra ammunition or special powerful AOE abilities, limited for "stormtrooper" type partizans and by the number of uses per mission. Together with abundant empty areas for maneuvers this makes maps more open and less puzzle-like. Or at least it makes you feel so.
Nazis will call for reinforcements in the case of loud approach later on, but, what i like, those won't materialize in the middle of combat from thin air a-la Mimimi games. Additional troops will arrive from overland map instead via roads... you know this game has mines, right?

My biggest complains are inconvenient interaction with corpses/loot and... fucking doors, apparently powered by ghosts of dead nazis whose only goal in afterlife is fuck up with your partizans and try to get them killed every time one has slightest chance to die due to door behavior. I'm dead serious, this game has the dumbest doors interaction i know.
But overall even these complains(despite my wording about fucking doors) are rather light and i hadn't had so much fun with a game since Troubleshooter release. Highly recommend to try at least.

P.S.
Regarding FORCED STEALTH:
You can go full ham if you wish during both stealth(food poisoning and execution) missions after securing initial objective.

Last edited:

rado907

Savant
Beat mission 3. The game is all right, something like Commandos 2 meets Robin Hood, with a touch of Men of War. One thing I can't help but think playing this is, man, games were good 20 years ago.

The gameplay in Partisans is the classic stuff, very reminiscent of Commandos. You crawl around, knife nazis, and hide their bodies in cupboards. You can also take cover and have shootouts like in MoW. You have an inventory and guns and grenades. Resources are relatively scarce. As in Robin Hood, you get a base to visit between missions. You pick your crew for each mission, and they get some perks as they gain XP.

In terms of graphics, the game is serviceable but far from fancy. Some responsiveness issues with the interface. Loading times are fast. It's ok.

Overall, my first impressions are mildly favorable - this is an ok game, especially for people who enjoy the genre.

rado907

Savant
Beat the game - 15 missions and 8 partisans. The core gameplay is pure Commandos on a budget, but the missions are less cinematic and diverse.

The main addition to the genre is the way the game handles the firearms cheese. In Commandos, you could cheese enemies by attracting them around corners with gunfire and then blasting them before they can react. In Desperados they tried to be careful with the design of firearms to counteract the problem. And in Mimimi they just nerfed guns hard. Here they have strong guns with a cover system but scarce ammo. So you can blast enemies, but you better be careful, because unless you wipe them in the opening 3 seconds, they'll take cover, waste your ammo, and shoot you in the head.

The highlight was a last-stand type mission where the enemies keep coming and you shoot them with an MG and lob grenades at them and blow them up with overpowered mines.

Overall it was OK. Desperados 3 and Commandos 2 were better. 7.5/10

Vatnik Wumao
Back into Battle DLC Release
Partisan 1941's first DLC is coming right now!

Welcome back, everyone!

We, that is Alter Games and Daedalic Entertainment, are proud to announce and release the first DLC "Back into Battle" for Partisans 1941 - and you don't even have to wait any longer - it's out now!

The “Partisans 1941 – Back Into Battle” DLC allows you to customize and approach missions in your own way in Missions Mode. Choose from five familiar missions (available for everyone) and seven brand new missions (exclusively for DLC Owners), then set yourself a challenge with the modifier system. Create your dream team of Partisans, then customize and outfit them freely to suit your strategy. Use this new freedom wisely: the new challenges will be a real test of your skills as Partisan commander!

On top of that, the DLC introduces “Heroic Defense” mode. Overwhelming enemy forces, scarce resources, one Partisan position to defend: How long can you hold the line in this all new, tough as nails wave-defense mode?

c951fe395b3cd7b61ceaaefdcee861247079fa5f.png

Features

• Sandbox approach for high replayability​
  • Missions Mode: Brand new challenges in 5 familiar and 7 new locations​
  • Customize scenarios with modifiers. Freely choose your Partisan team, skills and equipment​
  • Heroic Defense mode: New wave-defense mode for the toughest of commanders​
  • Additional camp fire dialogue for the Partisans, giving you new insight into their personalities​

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1227530/view/3067491361356707390

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I stopped following this closely, too many games too little time, until someone gifted me a bundle copy. Played the tutorial level last night and very excited to see the full game.

zapotec

Liturgist
How does it compares against the incredible Soldiers: Heroes of world war 2?

zapotec

Liturgist
That's the Men of War sequels, in Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2 you controls at maximum 7-8 soldiers.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played some more, maybe another mission or two, and this feels ... serviceable. The gameplay is solid but somehow it all feels very bland and characterless. First you have a guy who is ... a guy, a soldier I guess. Then you get another character who is ... another guy. And then there's a kid who is ... another guy but with a higher pitched voice. You move them through the levels and kill the enemy guys. I got to the strategic part where you have the different buildings to get upgrades for your guys and I guess I've stopped caring. There doesn't seem to be anything to look forward to except moving through more levels and killing more guys with slightly improved tools. I don't need the story to be mind blowing but there should be something, a sick dog who needs medicine, a lost set of keys, tracking down the Nazi with a tattoo of a motorcycle to ask if he's my childhood barber, just anything. I need more urgency than "There are Nazis around, we should probably fight them."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played some more, maybe another mission or two, and this feels ... serviceable. The gameplay is solid but somehow it all feels very bland and characterless. First you have a guy who is ... a guy, a soldier I guess. Then you get another character who is ... another guy. And then there's a kid who is ... another guy but with a higher pitched voice. You move them through the levels and kill the enemy guys. I got to the strategic part where you have the different buildings to get upgrades for your guys and I guess I've stopped caring. There doesn't seem to be anything to look forward to except moving through more levels and killing more guys with slightly improved tools. I don't need the story to be mind blowing but there should be something, a sick dog who needs medicine, a lost set of keys, tracking down the Nazi with a tattoo of a motorcycle to ask if he's my childhood barber, just anything. I need more urgency than "There are Nazis around, we should probably fight them."
Did you not turn on the subtitles bro.

Zombra

Patron
[Desperados III is] still my favorite game of 2020. I even liked the narrative better than I thought I would. It had a decent ending, fun characters and entertaining banter in between them, even during actual gameplay.
I think I may order a copy of Shadow Tactics too. Then again, Partisans 1941, which I was always rather undecided about, is also on sale... and that seems to have mechanics that neither Shadow Tacitcs nor Desperados has.
I found Partisans to be lackluster. Its story and characters are colorless and forgettable, and the new mechanics didn't grab me (skill trees are mostly "+5% pistol damage" type of upgrades). Plus there are sections where you put your guys in cover, open fire, and trust to RNG, as opposed to the much more engaging deterministic "puzzle box" quality of the Mimimi games. Some folks like it of course, see upthread. Just be aware that you're looking at a very different experience here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom