Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
This is apparently some of the perks you can get:
  • Hard motherfucker - at the start of a fight, armor and resistance are increased by 20% for 10 seconds.
  • STREET BRAWLER: "Guerilla"- Kiling foes increases crit hit by 60% for 10 secs
  • REFLEX : HANDGUNS: "Redacted" - Land a critical hit and get an armour boost for 20 secs
Guess the way combat looks wasn't the only thing they took from Borderlands.
Whats the source of this shit because I find it hard to believe?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
0abe7f144389f652ae041f74bbb009b6a89af6a6cae837e7283185b913f79463.jpg

Terenty

Liturgist
  • Hard motherfucker - at the start of a fight, armor and resistance are increased by 20% for 10 seconds.
  • REFLEX : HANDGUNS: "Redacted" - Land a critical hit and get an armour boost for 20 secs
Guess the way combat looks wasn't the only thing they took from Borderlands.
Whats the source of this shit because I find it hard to believe?
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...s-12-and-some-new-perks-information.11033261/

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's incredible to me that in 2020 people are still designing games with these +10% crit damage perks. Do game designers not play any games?
These designers are not stupid - it's the times we live in and the lowest common denominator which dictate the terms of the "game".

E.G., let's compare a good (not minmaxed) and shitty builds in a games like Fallout or Underrail. Good build allows for a comfortable and challenging enough game. Shitty build allows for a quick restart to create a better build.

In games like this, with perks like this, the difference between good and shitty build is minimal. You can finish the game with any selection of the perks and skills. The difference is minimal. There is a challenge that I have seen in Fagout 3: a guy plays the game, but his original stat spread is random; every time he levels up he spins RNG table and levels up some random skill.

Now why developers do this? In games like Fallout or Underrail, to create a good build you need to have a good familiarity with the game systems (multiple playthroughs - restarts - reading forums/wikis - metagaming). In games like this, you can just pick it up and play without thinking too much, without any research or foreknowledge.

Thinking too much is too much to ask from a typical consumer these days.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
In games like this, you can just pick it up and play without thinking too much, without any research or foreknowledge.

Then why bother players with character developement?
Oh right - feeling of progress and acomplishment aka constant dose of dopamine, along with the progress bars.
Because people can't play clean action games these days.
eh

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
These designers are not stupid - it's the times we live in and the lowest common denominator which dictate the terms of the "game".
No. Let's be honest, people eat up what game developers cook for them, that includes you and me also. It's just easier for designers to develop systems like this. Indie or not, I'm not fond of either Faggout 3/4 and indiepocalypse byproducts Shadowrun: Returns & Torment: Tides of Fagarrhea gameplay and system-wise.
We all know the root of all what's wrong with modern action-rpgs.
xyZC7r9.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
  • You can't touch this - make yourself immune to the effects of your own grenades
  • Mech Looter - you can loot scrap from drones, robots and mechs and have a 30% chance of finding weapon parts.
  • R&D - the said skill that enables you to upgrade items to the legendary quality level.
This is straight up MMO kind of shit.

"Make yourself immune to the effects of your own grenades" How does it even make sense?

You know one funny thing.. Shadowrun DragonFall/Hong Kong has a implant that make your character insta flung nades back into enemies. They could've go that pass if they really want something like this. A implant that make you have more resistance to explosion damage.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Blade Runner (original) was a grim gritty Kowloon style aesthetic, Cyberpunk is going for regular stroll through Shanghai/Tokyo/Seoul but with robot trannies.

Blade Runner was only one side of the Cyberpunk that Gibson described in his books and the latter looked cool in movies like "Ghost in a shell" and "Battle angel Alita".
GitS has a similar aesthetic and concepts as Blade Runner, GUNNM is not really Cyberpunk although it took some core concepts especially in the first couple arcs until Gally leaves the Scrapyard.
I'd qualify it as post apocalyptic Sci-fi more than Cyberpunk.

I've been rewatching Bubblegum Crisis this week, and that is 100% how I want my cyberpunk city to look.

8JzRTid.jpeg

kRXEc5C.jpeg

AL3efrI.png

Varnaan

Augur
I've been rewatching Bubblegum Crisis this week, and that is 100% how I want my cyberpunk city to look.

I don't know, personally when I think cyberpunk I think concrete jungle of gray scyscrappers with bridges between them, the unwashed masses living at ground level while the elites live high up above the clouds, everything being dirty, gray, grim and full of grime except for the megacorp buildings that shine in the night, everyone having his life tied to a corporation from the blue collar chipped poors to the white collar and higher ups who lord over them.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Syndicate 1993 is the type of cyberpunk I want more of from visuals/atmosphere to music. Not this overly neon rainbow vomit shit.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The neon rainbow serves a function, though, it's to hide the commodification and homogenization of the human soul. Things are colorful and eccentric, people are not. I'm also kinda fond of neon, not gonna lie, I was thinking of placing some kind of neon light on the wall of my room.

Vatnik Wumao

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom