Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Stirring Abyss Released

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
It's pretty hilarious that the most Lovecraftian games are the ones that don't mention Lovecraft at all. Also I don't get all of this paroxysm with the cartoonish graphics.

Indeed. See for example Clive Barkers Undying which is more Lovecraftian than any of these, yet it doesn't feel the need to reference Innsmouth or Miskatonic University at every corner like some pop quiz.
And Bloodborne. Who'd have thought the Japs could do cosmic horror so well?

Bloodborne has more taken from Junji Itou than Lovecraft.

Bladderfish

Augur
It's pretty hilarious that the most Lovecraftian games are the ones that don't mention Lovecraft at all. Also I don't get all of this paroxysm with the cartoonish graphics.

Indeed. See for example Clive Barkers Undying which is more Lovecraftian than any of these, yet it doesn't feel the need to reference Innsmouth or Miskatonic University at every corner like some pop quiz.

Yes, perhaps, but he in turn was influenced by Lovecraft.

Farewell into the night

I've pulled the trigger. I'm gonna play it today in the evening.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Yes, perhaps, but he in turn was influenced by Lovecraft.
Yes, and Lovecraft took from Poe. So...?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh I caved in... yoink!
Ii7695M.jpg

Is it my imagination or does the top part look like its smiling in content.. chibi-happy with a slanted smirk (even if that isn't a mouth nor eyes)?

M0czLen.jpg

Last edited:

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer
To preserve civilisation, we must deal scientifically with the brute element, using only genuine biological principles. In considering ourselves, we think too much of ethics and sociology—too little of plain natural history. We should perceive that man’s period of historical existence, a period so short that his physical constitution has not been altered in the slightest degree, is insufficient to allow of any considerable mental change. The instincts that governed the Egyptians and the Assyrians of old, govern us as well; and as the ancients thought, grasped, struggled, and deceived, so shall we moderns continue to think, grasp, struggle, and deceive in our inmost hearts. Change is only superficial and apparent.

PixelClear.gif
Man’s respect for the imponderables varies according to his mental constitution and environment. Through certain modes of thought and training it can be elevated tremendously, yet there is always a limit. The man or nation of high culture may acknowledge to great lengths the restraints imposed by conventions and honour, but beyond a certain point primitive will or desire cannot be curbed. Denied anything ardently desired, the individual or state will argue and parley just so long—then, if the impelling motive be sufficiently great, will cast aside every rule and break down every acquired inhibition, plunging viciously after the object wished; all the more fantastically savage because of previous repression. The sole ultimate factor in human decisions is physical force. This we must learn, however repugnant the idea may seem, if we are to protect ourselves and our institutions. Reliance on anything else is fallacious and ruinous. Dangerous beyond description are the voices sometimes heard today, decrying the continuance of armament after the close of the present hostilities.

PixelClear.gif
The specific application of the scientific truth regarding man’s native instincts will be found in the adoption of a post-bellum international programme. Obviously, we must take into account the primordial sub-structure and arrange for the upholding of culture by methods which will stand the acid test of stress and conflicting ambitions. In disillusioned diplomacy, ample armament, and universal training alone will be found the solution of the world’s difficulties. It will not be a perfect solution, because humanity is not perfect. It will not abolish war, because war is the expression of a natural human tendency. But it will at least produce an approximate stability of social and political conditions, and prevent the menace of the entire world by the greed of any one of its constituent parts.

- H. P. Lovecraft

F0-E99-A24-FD3-C-4-CEE-967-A-7-E734313454-C.jpg

BlaineMono

Liturgist
This game plays sorta like an uninspired nu-xcom clone, but with the obligatory sanity gauge and also you can mutate your crew members and shit

overall, meh

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

To be fair Junji Ito has some big Lovecraft energy. It is definitly inspired by both, Japan loves Lovecraft and his works have huge cultural pull over there.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

To be fair Junji Ito has some big Lovecraft energy. It is definitly inspired by both, Japan loves Lovecraft and his works have huge cultural pull over there.

...? I thought we all agreed that Japan must never discover Lovecraft, it would push their culture beyond the event horizon of what is recognizably human.

We'll need legislation now, this problem isn't going to fix itself.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

...? I thought we all agreed that Japan must never discover Lovecraft, it would push their culture beyond the event horizon of what is recognizably human.

T E N T A C L E S !

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks

Nothing another nuke can't fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom