Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Games are too complex products to prepare a separate "China safe" version of a title, especially if Chinese were the ones financing them. So, given the choice between catering to their overlords, or to a handful of 白左 - would be no choice at all.
They already do it all the time. There are a ton of products that are changed to suit China for their own versions

Can you name any example outside World of Wacraft, where a single skin was altered? And, ironically, looks better, and had tons of people asking Blizzard to implement it everywhere as an option?

It wasn't just a skin, they've removed the skeletons back in the day: https://www.engadget.com/2007-07-10-china-removes-skeletons-from-world-of-warcraft.html
The catch is I've read John Staats book about WoW development recently and he outright stated that it was all a sham - later they've found out that their Chinese competitors just bribed the censors and Blizzard honestly removed skeletons and made some other unspecified adjustments. TBH, if a western company considers a China release, they will pre-remove all the potentially offensive shit before the release so you would never know. This is what regularly happens in Hollywood with all the blockbuster releases.

And there was, of course, this thing with Ubisoft recently: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/rainbow-six-siege-censorship-china-sex-gambling-ubisoft-1942952

Semiurge

Cipher
Games are too complex products to prepare a separate "China safe" version of a title, especially if Chinese were the ones financing them. So, given the choice between catering to their overlords, or to a handful of 白左 - would be no choice at all.
They already do it all the time. There are a ton of products that are changed to suit China for their own versions

Can you name any example outside World of Wacraft, where a single skin was altered? And, ironically, looks better, and had tons of people asking Blizzard to implement it everywhere as an option?

It wasn't just a skin, they've removed the skeletons back in the day: https://www.engadget.com/2007-07-10-china-removes-skeletons-from-world-of-warcraft.html
The catch is I've read John Staats book about WoW development recently and he outright stated that it was all a sham - later they've found out that their Chinese competitors just bribed the censors and Blizzard honestly removed skeletons and made some other unspecified adjustments. TBH, if a western company considers a China release, they will pre-remove all the potentially offensive shit before the release so you would never know. This is what regularly happens in Hollywood with all the blockbuster releases.

And there was, of course, this thing with Ubisoft recently: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/rainbow-six-siege-censorship-china-sex-gambling-ubisoft-1942952

Let that be a reminder that ability to inflict pain is not the only measure of power, control over (loadz of) money is another.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The Shock 3 discord is really at a lull. The latest content is a discussion about the Codex's opinion on Witcher 3.

21:06] XXXXX:
rpgcodex, an interesting community to say the least
[21:08] YYYYY:
RPGCODEX is pretty hardcore
[21:09] YYYYY:
i would not want to get into debate with those guys
[23:19] ZZZZZ:
Which is funny cuz like half the time theyre wrong
They’re just good at writing long paragraphs and being bitter

Rekt.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

Let that be a reminder that ability to inflict pain is not the only measure of power, control over (loadz of) money is another.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/...gone-steam-removed-winnie-the-pooh-meme-china

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/opinion/china-censorship.html

sys0nar

Educated
Baldurs Gate 3
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2
System Shock 3

Thank you to whoever had to suck several greasy hairy game developers dicks for this to happen.

Semiurge

Cipher
Baldurs Gate 3
System Shock 3

Thank you to whoever had to suck several greasy hairy game developers dicks for this to happen.

It's better this way, now some REAL developer like CD Projekt can give Bloodlines the sequel it deserves.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Shock 3 discord is really at a lull. The latest content is a discussion about the Codex's opinion on Witcher 3.

21:06] XXXXX:
rpgcodex, an interesting community to say the least
[21:08] YYYYY:
RPGCODEX is pretty hardcore
[21:09] YYYYY:
i would not want to get into debate with those guys
Which is funny cuz like half the time theyre wrong
They’re just good at writing long paragraphs and being bitter

Rekt.
Fucking normies

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
what the fuck happened to this game, did tencent just buy the rights to do nothing with it? i expected to at least know by now which studio is working on SS3 and if it even is in active development.
what the fuck is warren spector doing? his last tweet is almost a year old and his twitter timeline is just him complaining about trump. jesus christ dude you were a legend once, then you made these shitty mickey games and now this. fucking unJUST yourself.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Development was probably restarted from scratch, which means the new version of the game is going to be revealed in 2-3 years.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
what the fuck happened to this game, did tencent just buy the rights to do nothing with it?
Tencents plans worry me. It feels like they bought the IP and not the studio. It likely wanted a competitor to Cyberpunk 2077 because its actions in the Chinese market tell us as such they indeed wanted a competitor product that they could go online with.

I am 100% worried!

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
What a pantomime, the show that never ends, efe will be working himself into a frenzy of excitement though

user

Savant
Baldurs Gate 3
System Shock 3

Yes, a dream come true, what joy

EYaKhYgXgAUAPUG

kangaxx

Arbiter
Seriously chaps, this discord is an absolute hoot. Some more highlights (all 'sic').

[22:31] BBBBB:
people malding about tencent giving money to ss3 just suck
like it or not

[22:48] BBBBB:
seems like a comeback of the people completely despising tencent will be like "shut up chinese sleeper agents"
[22:48] CCCCC:
They can take that stance if they want. They can talk to me when the shuttle lands. [ed: ?!?!?!?!?!??!]

[22:54] AAAAA:

I mean if you have any issue with cina you might as well destroy all your electronics
[22:54] BBBBB:
you might as well go shut down the chinese government
most of stuff we use on a daily basis are made from the exploitation of people in asia or other places sadly
[22:55] AAAAA:
well I let chinese people choose to do that
[22:55] BBBBB:
well if it werent for the exploited people we wouldnt get prototype/pre-release leaks of things

[07:27] CCCCC:
is the US much better? in many regards, no, not really. but at least in the US they don't have a "halal" organ harvesting scheme nor do they have 380+ concentration camps (xinjiang), nor will i get prosecuted for practicing islam
i've attended a HK solidarity rally a little over a year ago, amongst other things. i seriously don't know if i will disappear if i were to travel to china

:what:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Maybe the last departure from Austin studio before Warren. Arturo Pulecio, the art director, has left: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arturo-pulecio-8327603/

OtherSide Entertainment
Total Duration 4 yrs 7 mos
  • Art Director / Assistant Game Director
    Full-time
    Dates Employed Aug 2018 – Jan 2021
    Employment Duration 2 yrs 6 mos
    Location Austin, Texas Area
  • Art Director
    Dates Employed Jul 2016 – Jan 2021
    Employment Duration 4 yrs 7 mos
    Location Austin, Texas

He has joined a VR game company.

Old Hans

Arcane
Seriously chaps, this discord is an absolute hoot. Some more highlights (all 'sic').

people malding about tencent giving money to ss3 just suck
like it or not

[22:48] BBBBB:
seems like a comeback of the people completely despising tencent will be like "shut up chinese sleeper agents"
[22:48] CCCCC:
They can take that stance if they want. They can talk to me when the shuttle lands. [ed: ?!?!?!?!?!??!]

I mean if you have any issue with cina you might as well destroy all your electronics
[22:54] BBBBB:
you might as well go shut down the chinese government
most of stuff we use on a daily basis are made from the exploitation of people in asia or other places sadly
[22:55] AAAAA:
well I let chinese people choose to do that
[22:55] BBBBB:
well if it werent for the exploited people we wouldnt get prototype/pre-release leaks of things

is the US much better? in many regards, no, not really. but at least in the US they don't have a "halal" organ harvesting scheme nor do they have 380+ concentration camps (xinjiang), nor will i get prosecuted for practicing islam
i've attended a HK solidarity rally a little over a year ago, amongst other things. i seriously don't know if i will disappear if i were to travel to china

:what:

this discord is is literally just full of chinese sleeper agents. I mean who else would have a discord for this shit vaporware game.

Citizen

Huh? Isn't that like the only good thing about chinese regime?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom