Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

Danikas

Arcane
What studio was responsible for this? Why did they change the gun sound of SCAR its sounds like shit now.

soulburner

Cipher
Crysis 3 is not bad if you know what to expect, it just doesn't continue the large open levels like Crysis 1. It is a lot more linear and "cinematic" with cut scenes and stuff, but not as linear as CoD for example. The areas are still fairly large and open at times, just not Crysis 1 large. The gameplay itself is still better than average and the art design of the levels is gorgeous at times. It has a bunch of good levels with excellent atmosphere, like the swamp at night and the high grass area where you get hunted by the aliens. The story telling is bad, like a bad movie trying hard to be epic (Independence Day 2 comes to mind). It can be enjoyable if you don't expect something like Crysis 1. I'd say its stuck somewhere between Crysis 1 and CoD like games, tending more into the CoD direction but it is competent as such.

I have a similar recollection about Crysis 3 - to me it felt like something between C1 and C2 because it had it's moments with a few more open areas. The high grass was probably the only moment I truly enjoyed the game.
The series feel very weird and disconnected, felt almost as if all three games were developed by completely different people. While the story in C1 was simple but interesting, what occurred in the sequels made no sense to me ;)

BTW: the tech demo video of C2 showed interesting things, like destructible areas, which never happened in the final game:

So there was a time during development when the game could have been as interesting technologically as C1 was. I recall none of that was in the final game.

Regarding Crysis Remastered... I'm not touching it until:
- they move from DirectX 11 with some weird Vulkan prosthesis for RT and go full Vulkan or DX12 and add DLSS
- I acquire an RTX 3070 or 3080

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The Crysis 2 story has some interesting ideas in it, but it's presented very badly. Big reason seems to be just plain old poor writing/editing, but it's also pretty obvious they are trying to reboot while also continue the story, which never works out. Halfway through the game I have pretty much zero investment in the story, because it's all over the place and mostly nonsensical. People talking to you on the radio telling you to do things and you have no idea why you're doing them. Anyway, gameplay... when it started I liked the predator stealth "get through this wide linear corridor" basics of it, but as it goes on and on it's just the same thing over and over. I guess most games are the same thing over and over to some degree, but when given these big boxes of street corners and high-rises there's only so many times you can sneak through them behind a half-wall taking headshots when necessary. Also it feels more and more like Call of Duty as you play, with soldier companions, "hoo-rah!" dialogue, objective markers constantly floating around and standoff missions against waves of retarded AI.

I'll probably finish it, more than halfway through now, but I'd no longer say it's on par for the era. I mean I guess there's total excrement out there from this time like Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, so everything's relative, but this game isn't as good as FEAR 2 (which is far from a great game). Reading Wikipedia I see that Crysis 2 sold relatively well at 3 million copies (less than PC exclusive Crysis 1 though), yet Crysis 3 sold very poorly, only 200,000 during its release period. Obviously console gamers didn't like what they found in Crysis 2 either.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also it feels more and more like Call of Duty as you play, with soldier companions, "hoo-rah!" dialogue, objective markers constantly floating around and standoff missions against waves of retarded AI.
Don't forget how every levels starts by listing your location and local time, exactly like in Call of Duty. It's hilarious how much they wanted that audience.

I've always considered Crysis 2 to be "Call of Duty with superpowers", and on its own it's a fun game. Compared to CoD, you can turn invisible and jump 3 meters into the air, allowing you to prey on your enemies as you traverse the geometry. The dedicated stealth kill animation is also less clunky than stealth-meleeing enemies in Crysis (although using a small knife when you're in a nanosuit has always struck me as odd).

As a Crysis sequel it was nothing short of a disappointment though. No open "sandboxy" levels, no multiple approaches, no destructible environments, barely any physicalized objects to use as projectiles, and the player is very slow and can't even go prone.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
God damn the story of Crysis 2 is so bad. Wrote more in the "what game you playing" thread. Game goes full CoD for the middle 50% and then at the end you can just stealth by everyone and run to the next marker. Just a poorly developed and written game all around. Very pretty though, and the first 4-5 levels are alright.

Crysis 3 is installing, better be an improvement like people say it is.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Crysis 3 seems a lot better than 2 so far, though it's Crytek so I fully expect the game to turn to shit at some point. Hopefully near the end like Crysis 1, and not a third of the way in like Crysis 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished Crysis 3. I'd say overall the gameplay is pretty good and well beyond Crysis 2. When it goes full "open area with an objective you can tackle multiple ways" like the first game it shines a bit. Not as good as the original, but pretty enjoyable. It never goes full Call of Duty like 2 did until arguably the very end, and though the aliens still aren't as fun to fight as the humans usually they're not too bad. There's a level before the ending where you're in a big area with 3-4 mortars to take down and even though it's aliens you can play it very stealthy and with varying approaches. It's good stuff. Favorite level was an early one with a big dam you had to blow up though, and lots of different ways to get that done. Crysis 2 had a few good levels and a lot of shitty ones, but I'd say the majority of Crysis 3 is enjoyable. I found the last level insanely tedious though so I dropped it from hard to easy to get it over with. Hard mode was pretty easy overall anyway though, as stealth is still OP.

Story still sucks, though Psycho adds a bit to it. Graphics are quite good usually but the game has a very dark and gloomy overall look which never goes away. Could have used a few more sunshine levels, there's literally only one of them.

JDR13

Arcane
Damn bro... How many hours a day do you game?

Crysis 3 took me 9 hours to finish, so divide that by 4 days equals 2 or so hours a day. Also worth noting I'm an ESOL/GED teacher with very little to do at the moment.

I didn't realize it was that short. I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking it was around 20 hours or something like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I didn't realize it was that short. I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking it was around 20 hours or something like that.

I don't know about the original's length 'cause I played it through GOG, but Crysis 2 took me 11 hours according to Origin. It felt like 30.

Silly Germans

Finished Crysis 3. I'd say overall the gameplay is pretty good and well beyond Crysis 2. When it goes full "open area with an objective you can tackle multiple ways" like the first game it shines a bit. Not as good as the original, but pretty enjoyable. It never goes full Call of Duty like 2 did until arguably the very end, and though the aliens still aren't as fun to fight as the humans usually they're not too bad. There's a level before the ending where you're in a big area with 3-4 mortars to take down and even though it's aliens you can play it very stealthy and with varying approaches. It's good stuff. Favorite level was an early one with a big dam you had to blow up though, and lots of different ways to get that done. Crysis 2 had a few good levels and a lot of shitty ones, but I'd say the majority of Crysis 3 is enjoyable. I found the last level insanely tedious though so I dropped it from hard to easy to get it over with. Hard mode was pretty easy overall anyway though, as stealth is still OP.

Story still sucks, though Psycho adds a bit to it. Graphics are quite good usually but the game has a very dark and gloomy overall look which never goes away. Could have used a few more sunshine levels, there's literally only one of them.
I remember that dam level. It actually gave me some Deus Ex vibes with all those ventilation shafts and small side entries sprinkled about in that section. That is definitely one of the best levels. But the most annoying part for me was the vtol flying section close to the end where you had to man the gun. I played on post-human? or whatever the highest difficulty is called, and that was the only section where i died repeatedly. Everything else was fairly easy due to overpowered stealth. They really should have given the ai ways to counter stealth or made its use a lot more taxing/requiring more updates to be useful.

SlamDunk

Arcane
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/leak...t-crysis-next-crysis-vr-ryse-next-robinson-2/

Eloryk2VMAABymb

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Crysis isn't really a compelling brand to build a free to play game on. I mean it has fans (me included), but on a larger level it's more of a "meh" from people and those fans are very singleplayer focused. Crytek don't have much else to go on though I guess.

Silly Germans

Isn't Hunt : Showdown already a battle royal game and isn't the shooter segment saturated by now with this battle royal stuff ? I had some faint hopes that they would return to a normal single player game after their stroll into that territory ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't know what "Battle Royale" even means and I feel good somehow about not wanting to find out.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266308/

Of course the Japs already figured it out long before The Hunger Games became a thing.

Pft, white trash, as usual, was ahead of the curve on this one:

i thought that was called "royal rumble".

anyway, "battle royale" is "big arena, no respawn". that's it.

JDR13

Arcane
The article refers to it in past tense, so I'm inclined to believe it's no longer under development.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom