Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

FNM was pretty lame this week. 100 card standard, whoopty-doo. Went with cycling deck since that helps to minimize the disadvantage of a fatass deck and it went fine. Most opponents seemed to be playing ramp goodshit which makes sense too, but eh. Not as bad as momir at least.

Gyor

Savant
I've really getting somewhere great and unique with my Purphoros deck.

It used to lose like all the time, but I observed other red decks and other stuff and over time used wildcards and lucked into cards enough to build it up to where I want it.

I have seen no one else playing Purphoros as their commander, but learning how to use him has been interesting and I think he is under estimated.

Early on a kept making the mistake of often refusing to cast him until he had enough devotion to be a creature, I under estimated how valuable his hasting ability is even when he isn't a creature. Plus playing Embercleave when Purphoros is at devotion 3, turning him into a creature and giving him Embercleave is very satisfying.

Going off memory I have:

Purphoros Bronze Blooded
Embercleave
Rob the Rich
3 of the Seven Dwarves
Nyx Locus
Alter of the Pantheon
Shadow Spear
Lithiform Engine
All the mono red Zendikar DFCs
Fires of Invention
Shock
Thunderous Rebuke
Omen of the Forge
Terror of the Peaks
Leyline Tyrant
Seige Dragon
Of the the red sagas
Anax
Scorch
A couple of cards that allow me to take an oppentants creatures card for a turn
Immortal Phoenix
Skullsmasher Orger
Bonecrusher
Tobrin Thrane of Redfell
Dreamshaper
Daunting Taunter
Mirror Shield
Terror of Mount Velus
Castle Embreth
Dwarven Mine
Skophos Maze-Warden
Skophos
Moraug, Fury of Akoum

I still lose some times, but its alot less often, I mean alot less usablely to a mill deck or certain white deck.

Most satisfying win was against some of how had piles of Scute Swarm, I used Dreamshaper to trade Omen of the Forge for Seige Dragon, which made Purphoros a creature, the Seige Dragon was hasted and it just slaughters like over 16 scute swarms and maybe a couple of other creatures.

Its a really fun deck and its made MtG alot more fun and its unique as far as I can tell.

Blue Mills and Counter spells hurt though.

I don't know what to call this deck, I don't know the lingo for it.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It used to lose like all the time, but I observed other red decks and other stuff and over time used wildcards and lucked into cards enough to build it up to where I want it.

I have seen no one else playing Purphoros as their commander, but learning how to use him has been interesting and I think he is under estimated.

Early on a kept making the mistake of often refusing to cast him until he had enough devotion to be a creature, I under estimated how valuable his hasting ability is even when he isn't a creature. Plus playing Embercleave when Purphoros is at devotion 3, turning him into a creature and giving him Embercleave is very satisfying.

I still lose some times, but its alot less often, I mean alot less usablely to a mill deck or certain white deck.

Most satisfying win was against some of how had piles of Scute Swarm, I used Dreamshaper to trade Omen of the Forge for Seige Dragon, which made Purphoros a creature, the Seige Dragon was hasted and it just slaughters like over 16 scute swarms and maybe a couple of other creatures.

Its a really fun deck and its made MtG alot more fun and its unique as far as I can tell.

Congratulations.

I like a strategy similar to this.

I basically make my deck look like one of the standard cookie-cutter decks the first couple turns, and maybe into turn 6 or 7 if the guy isn't owning me yet.

I like to draw out all of their most powerful cards if I can before I utilize my most powerful removal spells.

Bonus points if you can hide a color or two that you are playing.

Ie.. you are playing a quad color deck but only use black and green the first couple turns, then mind fuck the guy when you cast a blue spell on turn 8 that costs 7 mana to cost like Kiora Bests the Sea God's

Most people are manboons and stuck in their "playstyle" and can't adapt to a monkey wrench.

It's how I normally mind fuck monocolor aggro decks.

I favor a single color, then toss out something of a completely non-synchronous color that makes them go "WTF, I don't stand a chance" and they rage quit. Like I might be playing mono white, then toss out an ashiok, nightmare muse after doing some funky mana stuff.

Gyor

Savant

Congratulations.

I basically make my deck look like one of the standard cookie-cutter decks the first couple turns, and maybe into turn 6 or 7 if the guy isn't owning me yet.

I like to draw out all of their most powerful cards if I can before I utilize my most powerful removal spells.

Ie.. you are playing a quad color deck but only use black and green the first couple turns, then mind fuck the guy when you cast a blue spell on turn 8 that costs 7 mana to cost like Kiora Bests the Sea God's

Most people are manboons and stuck in their "playstyle" and can't adapt to a monkey wrench.

I favor a single color, then toss out something of a completely non-synchronous color that makes them go "WTF, I don't stand a chance" and they rage quit. Like I might be playing mono white, then toss out an ashiok, nightmare muse after doing some funky mana stuff.

I'm not sure I see the connection between your style of deck and mine, is it that there are unexpected elements that don't fit into the common meta right now?

Is yours deck a brawl deck, because mine is a Brawl deck, which means I can't sneak another colour beyond cards and tokens I steal off the other player because Purphoros is mono red.

I did have some one rage quiet early when I played Rob the Rich, I guess they thought I was running a Rogue deck, but Rob the Rich is my only Rogue.

Gyor

Savant
I will say the the mono red DFC and Dwarven Mines lands go well with Fires of Invention because Fires of Invention benifits from lands even when they enter the battle field tapped.

spectre

Arcane
FNM was pretty lame this week. 100 card standard, whoopty-doo. Went with cycling deck since that helps to minimize the disadvantage of a fatass deck and it went fine. Most opponents seemed to be playing ramp goodshit which makes sense too, but eh. Not as bad as momir at least.
Aren't all FNMs like that? Well, this time it was a no-brainer. Just bring Yorion.
Funny thing, my second (and last) game was against mill, of all things. In a forced 100-card deck environment. Do you people even?

40 gems, totally worth it.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Congratulations.

I'm not sure I see the connection between your style of deck and mine, is it that there are unexpected elements that don't fit into the common meta right now?

Is yours deck a brawl deck, because mine is a Brawl deck, which means I can't sneak another colour beyond cards and tokens I steal off the other player because Purphoros is mono red.

I did have some one rage quiet early when I played Rob the Rich, I guess they thought I was running a Rogue deck, but Rob the Rich is my only Rogue.

I'm not sure what I meant, I was p. drunk when I posted this.

I think I felt some affinity towards your "throw random stuff in your deck" just to see how it works.

To me, if feels like most people just find the "flavor of the week" deck that is "da best" and try to play it, but they play it poorly.

I've played so many people who should have won, but they get psyched out by what I "might" play next.

I mostly play constructed standard and historic, but last I checked I couldn't make "brawl" work, but that was a few months ago. Might try it again soon.

:cheers:

Gyor

Savant

Congratulations.

I think I felt some affinity towards your "throw random stuff in your deck" just to see how it works.

To me, if feels like most people just find the "flavor of the week" deck that is "da best" and try to play it, but they play it poorly.

I've played so many people who should have won, but they get psyched out by what I "might" play next.

I mostly play constructed standard and historic, but last I checked I couldn't make "brawl" work, but that was a few months ago. Might try it again soon.

By you couldn't make brawl work that your suffering from a bug or that you don't have a competitive deck?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I just can't get over how much I fucking love playing this deck
B8ColmF.jpg

MPJAvRS.jpg

it's like, 5 of my favorite cards in standard the flavor is so good
also note the CHAD Yanner lavaglide pathway art vs the ugly Grenier variant

spectre

Arcane
Yep, I think it's the power creep. Does blinking Torrential Gearhulk sound like an exciting play compared to the value you get from Yorion decks?
Fumigate is just one of the many 5 mana wipes out there.
Same goes for Chandra, Torch of Defiance. For mono red, you can already use Torbran, Experimental Frenzy, or the other redhead for four, so get in line.
etc. etc.

To rub it in, Amununu at least gave us Thoughtseize as an important staple, Kaladesh doesn't have anything to offer, even though I read somewhere that it was theoretically possible to get some of the invention artifacts,
like Aether Vial, Ensnaring Bridge which would definitely shake things up. Instead, we're getting Sculpting Steel in the invention template. Yay.

Doesn't help that they decided to cut a bunch of cards. Wanking Ballista was probably too much to hope for, as they won't be banning Heliod just to make it happen,
but we're getting incomplete cycles of cards, and stuff like Thriving Grubs isn't in...because nope.

That said, there's a bunch of cards that I want. Winding Constrictor, Fecal Push. Obviously Fastlands as well, but Historic looks like it already has enough duals, so I'm looking at maybe two of each max.
I haven't gotten the Amununu cycling duals yet.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
what's with this new trend I am seeing of playing decks that are only removal and counters, jesus christ mill and yorion wasn't annoying enough already?

Gyor

Savant
what's with this new trend I am seeing of playing decks that are only removal and counters, jesus christ mill and yorion wasn't annoying enough already?

They aren't fun to play against, way way to many counter spells in this game.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron

Congratulations.

By you couldn't make brawl work that your suffering from a bug or that you don't have a competitive deck?

I tried to load it before and it just wouldn't play.

I have plenty of wildcards and I'm sure I could make a competitive deck, it just wouldn't load when I tried a few months ago.

Feels like WotC turned the rare spigot off in quickdraft. Done 3 drafts since Zendikar came back to quickdraft and haven't had a single rare/mythic pass to me from the bots, while before I was regularly getting 5+ per-go.

did some reading, apparently 1st quick draft is trained of premium drafts, where beg drafting isnt that common.
Before 2nd wave of quick draft bots are retrained, this time with quickdraft data... And that one is all about beg drafting. So not only rares are sweeped, game breaking uniques usually too.

Anyway that info will come in handy for next set release
Well shit. That's good to know now at least, ride that initial quick draft as hard as you can and then just do peanuts for the welfare goodies later. Guess I'll probably call it quits on more Zendikar drafts then since it's not juicy enough to warrant continuing, especially now that I've got a few rares maxed already so there are some potential whiffs.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Boarding-Party-CMR-265.jpg

Bloodbraid Pirate from Commander Legends. Hope these bad boys make it to Arena.

Also, does wotc think Green cannot ramp to ten mana?
Apex-Devastator-CMR-265.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom