Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I skipped time ahead and my Kingdom failed. I was playing on effortless.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that approach might not be ideal. Maybe you’re not cut out for sovereignty.
Just let king Peacock rule over your not-a-kingdom.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
No, I am rampaging through Pitax right now, I may be a shit ruler but Irovetti is a dick so he dies, along with all the other scumbags.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I would actually say that Kingmaker has a HUGE amount of C&C. I struggle to think of games with more C&C than this. It is just that it has even more combat than C&C.

Yeah I agree. More than once, things happen later in the game that are related to choices you made in the first few levels that you'd forgotten about. I've never seen a game like it.

Not all consequences are momentous of course, sometimes it's just a fun little thing; but most notable choices seem to be linked to something that happens later. And playthroughs can feel quite different sometimes.

You can have a huge number of playthroughs if you just play the mega-dungeon with different party compositions right? Ofcourse without story it will get boring quick, but still fun to try individual builds and party builds

By the way, how does the OFFICIAL turnbased mode compare with the fan patch? Is there any real difference?

The official is missing some of the niceties that the mod had, but overall the official is easier to use, prettier, and flows better.

Andhaira

Arcane
I would actually say that Kingmaker has a HUGE amount of C&C. I struggle to think of games with more C&C than this. It is just that it has even more combat than C&C.

Yeah I agree. More than once, things happen later in the game that are related to choices you made in the first few levels that you'd forgotten about. I've never seen a game like it.

Not all consequences are momentous of course, sometimes it's just a fun little thing; but most notable choices seem to be linked to something that happens later. And playthroughs can feel quite different sometimes.

You can have a huge number of playthroughs if you just play the mega-dungeon with different party compositions right? Ofcourse without story it will get boring quick, but still fun to try individual builds and party builds

By the way, how does the OFFICIAL turnbased mode compare with the fan patch? Is there any real difference?

The official is missing some of the niceties that the mod had, but overall the official is easier to use, prettier, and flows better.

Define 'niceties' please. I want to know which version has implemented all the actual tabletop rules such as 5ft steps and the like. I know the mod had it.

Crichton

Prophet
I didn't notice anything important missing with the official version; it has 5-foot steps and a delay-turn feature. And the official version is miles better at drawing movement circles.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Define 'niceties' please. I want to know which version has implemented all the actual tabletop rules such as 5ft steps and the like. I know the mod had it.

Yeah all that stuff is in there, what I meant was particular QOL options that had been requested by people at one time or another. Can't remember offhand what they were. There were some murmerings of discontent with the official version because of that, but I think the general consensus is that it's a very nice implementation. The real problem is that the game isn't designed from the ground-up as turn-based (not like, e.g. Solasta) - and I don't know if any efforts have been made in that direction by the devs.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I know you guys said Pitax had some cut content but damn, this place is empty. Palace was fun particularly the main room fights were really hard. Disappointed in Pitax overall, though Irovetti is a great villain and has a great voice actor.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like to think that's deliberate. I. is most of all, a king of illusions and fake. You can tell that indirectly from the loot you find which is close to level 1 junk.

He has vibes of a lot of rulers throughout history that were mostly puppets for someone else.

If all else fails, it is a comparison that can also be found in VTM:B - there are two types of artists out there: the flashy fakes, and the true ones that deserve recognition. Linzi is the true one, Irovetti is the fake.

Despite the chapter not being showered with the large dungeons you've seen so far, it has other stuff in it to make up for it.

Last edited:

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I know you guys said Pitax had some cut content but damn, this place is empty. Palace was fun particularly the main room fights were really hard. Disappointed in Pitax overall, though Irovetti is a great villain and has a great voice actor.
Actually, Owlcat added content there over the original Adventure Path. The war was originally fought with regular armies using Pathfinder's mass combat rules, not with the party killing monsters and bards. And the battle of Pitax was a regular siege, ending with the party either infiltrating or storming the Palace, which was smaller and more disappointing, iirc.

There was a full write-up of the city, of course, but the PCs didn't get to see any of that stuff during the war.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
The content around Pitax is good, but I would had preferred a mega-city with more story, content etc (instead of areas surrounding the region) because Pitax is built up majorly throughout the game and it should be very grand naturally, like the city of Baldur's Gate.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
True, they could have done more. But they'd be working almost from scratch, and that was probably not in the budget.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
True, they could have done more. But they'd be working almost from scratch, and that was probably not in the budget.
I know they were rushed, if I remember correctly? Welp, onto Chapter 6!

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I know they were rushed, if I remember correctly? Welp, onto Chapter 6!
Yeah, their original publisher pushed the release forward so it'd be in time for a financial quarter or something. But even so, I don't thing expanding Pitax was ever in the cards. There's other stuff missing that would probably be a higher priority. For example, half a chapter with Baron Drelev, who was allied with Armag. One of my older posts has a full comparison of PC game vs tabletop, if you wanna dig.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Just got to Pitax, time to use my 1 million gold to use (Holy fuck that ring)...
:positive:
yeah, they have some awesome stuff. the merchants do stick around after chapter 5, fyi
Where are these merchants at?
Also, Tristian died and I resurrected him, he's in a permanent falling motion and can't cast spells.

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Hit level 18, tried to do DLC boss for a second time, got destroyed. Maybe I'll come back at level 20 or something..
:shredder:

Last edited:

Yoomazir

Educated
Oh man, even after a hundred hours spent, this game still manages to make me smile
seeing my character sitting on a stool in the throne room while attending guests was sure something to witness. Oooh the things I'm gonna do to the thiefs once I catch them

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh man, even after a hundred hours spent, this game still manages to make me smile
seeing my character sitting on a stool in the throne room while attending guests was sure something to witness. Oooh the things I'm gonna do to the thiefs once I catch them
I actually liked that part a lot. My character was slouching in that throne, but when the stool came in, he stood straight. And that's how it should be: a king should always be straight in front of his subjects.

Yes, I find it hard to play chaotic characters. >.<

bec de corbin

Educated
Just got to Pitax, time to use my 1 million gold to use (Holy fuck that ring)...
:positive:
yeah, they have some awesome stuff. the merchants do stick around after chapter 5, fyi
Where are these merchants at?
Also, Tristian died and I resurrected him, he's in a permanent falling motion and can't cast spells.
They should be hanging around in Pitax once you finish the chapter, if I remember rightly.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
I am interested in it. Easy for you to quote?
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...urn-based-combat.125267/page-691#post-6796713

Bonus, a post where I expand on some stuff. You might be interested in the Abbey in particular: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...urn-based-combat.125267/page-693#post-6826322

Took 30 secs of searching this thread for my posts, though I kinda cheated by searching for "Irovetti", whom I knew I'd mentioned there and almost nowhere else. And reading that post again, I have to wonder wtf I was drinking back then. My syntax is terrible.

2023 edit: Why the hell do links to old posts break at random?

Last edited:

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Spent 1.8 Million gold on supplies, have now started chapter 6. This HATEOT better be fucking hard.

Also Octavia commented on Valerie's beauty and valerie said she is definitely going to spend her life with a man:lol::lol::lol:

The_Mask

Patron
Spent 1.8 Million gold on supplies, have now started chapter 6. This HATEOT better be fucking hard.
It's very hard if you don't know what to do, or if you don't pay attention. Mildly challenging if you do pay attention. Easy, if you have a Druid/Defender of the True World. Have fun!

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I just finished the Zottenropple Brothers .. Well , the fight that you have to fight if you don't kill them alone. And holy shit , was hard. Their insane and have 20+ mobs stand between me and them..

I lost like 2-3 times , before i won by using a mass teleport scroll to send MC , Linzi and Ekundayo , to the top , kill the top floor enemies (without alerting the rest) , then using a combination of Fire Storm with Harim (donw floor) + Mass Cacophonus to CC all enemies , then used Acid Spray into the brother. Then they downed all my party asides from Linzi , MC , Ekun's Dog and Harrim , then i spammed Force Bombs on their asses until they fell. What freaking fight. And wouldn't be half hard if i found those fuckers before figthing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom