Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Black

Arcane
TQEo5oW.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
99% of the people saying/posting black lives matter are expressing the social idea of it, not supporting the organization. Say they are dupes marketing for communist if you want, but do you really believe Disney and suburban white women outside Philadelphia want a commie revolution? Of course they don't.

Gerrard

Arcane
oh man, those static shadows of moving banners in 5m21s... I thought RTX is gonna make shadows realistic, but in this game they look terrible.

Probably similar technical limitation as with moving grass here.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Interesting that as more and more information has come out, and we get closer and closer to release, this thread has mostly died.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Interesting that as more and more information has come out, and we get closer and closer to release, this thread has mostly died.
At first I was excited about the Demon's Souls remake, but, honestly, who cares? I already know I'm not spending 400€ to play a remake, and I am no longer playing Call of Duty with my high school friends, so I don't need the latest piece of plastic. Unless they come out with Bloodborne 2 or something (and I doubt that will happen soon), I don't see why I would need a playstation.

Venser

Erudite
I'm just pissed they killed off PSVR. VR was the thing I was the most excited about PS5 to begin with.

The PS5 controller looks so much better than the Xbox Controller.

The haptic feedback on it is apparently very impressive. Like it sounds like it totally works as it's intended, and at least in the little free game that will come with the system just walking through different things like water and sand feels different. If true it's an interesting selling point for the system, because basically the last two decades now selling point stuff has just been better visuals, the kind of thing you get just looking at a picture; but this seems to be Sony going in on a selling point you'll actually have to experience youself.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The haptic feedback on it is apparently very impressive. Like it sounds like it totally works as it's intended, and at least in the little free game that will come with the system just walking through different things like water and sand feels different. If true it's an interesting selling point for the system, because basically the last two decades now selling point stuff has just been better visuals, the kind of thing you get just looking at a picture; but this seems to be Sony going in on a selling point you'll actually have to experience youself.
The problem with this is that I fear it will just be another gimmick. First it was the pressure sensitive buttons on the Dualshock 2 and 3. Then it was the touchpad on the Dualshock 4 and now this. But apart from a few games, these were never used in any meaningful ways. And it's not the deveopers' fault, I can't expect them to utilize these function, when neither the other consoles, nor the PC have them. And most of the games are multiplatform, so in the end very few games will use these features.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is not much new right now besides unboxing videos, it seems that everyone over 12 subs on YouTube got their own console.
And PS5 comes with embargo on talking about only hardware looks and first level of that free Astro game.
Everything is out about X, only real world performance with next gen is missing. And thats pretty much the worst thing about it. At release date there is a single next gen game available and thats Observer System Redux that is an updated version of a 3 year old game.

Still think PS5 is worse deal compared to Xbox atleast at release. PS+ Collection is nice if you never owned a Playstation but its 16 games vs 300 on Gamepass. And people prob played most of those 16 games already.

Gimmicky controller for sure could be interesting for hour or two till you turn off the haptics cause you're trying to focus on the game and the fucking thing keeps shaking in your hand. But could be fun in certain cases cause it can combine both haptics and sound cause of built in speaker too so it can fool your brain so you "feel" your characters better. Will be fun to see what they come up with.

tritosine2k

Erudite
The problem with this is that I fear it will just be another gimmick. First it was the pressure sensitive buttons on the Dualshock 2 and 3. Then it was the touchpad on the Dualshock 4 and now this. But apart from a few games, these were never used in any meaningful ways. And it's not the deveopers' fault, I can't expect them to utilize these function, when neither the other consoles, nor the PC have them. And most of the games are multiplatform, so in the end very few games will use these features.

I'd just refuse to call it "feedback" when it's tied to battery inside a flimsy wireless controller , same song as VR.

Tingle? Yeah... FFB ?? No way, Jose...

Star Citizen

Learned
LOL I didn't invest in any of the previous gens but still had some curiosity around them, this is honest to God the first console generation I don't give the slightest fuck about. At least MS exclusives are all coming to PC.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
LOL I didn't invest in any of the previous gens but still had some curiosity around them, this is honest to God the first console generation I don't give the slightest fuck about. At least MS exclusives are all coming to PC.
Its more like a PC upgrade but cheaper. Same games running on better tech.
If previous gens had SSD( also better cooling in PS4 case) in them there would not be much of a difference.
If someone wants a safe buy its better to wait another 2 or 3 years when there are actual games developed for the systems instead of this cross gen crap they are offering now.

It sounds like it could good enough that it may not just be a gimmick, which is the only reason it actually sounds interesting now. Hearing talk about how good it is at creating awareness of just being on different surfaces has me wondering if it could be used for stuff like first person platforming, which do to a lack of spatial awareness has basically always sucked in comparison to other views. How much talk about that is just hype, and how much is real through I don't know. But it does make me interesting in seeing how good it is myself, where before I couldn't have give a shit about it.

If it is true it's also just kind of interesting that Sony is willing to go in of a feature that you actually need to experience yourself, because that hasn't really been where the industry has been for a long time. Gives me a little hope that maybe just better graphics isn't the only way some people might try to sell their new games.

It is a good point that it's something that other developers may not really use, and may not use to it's fullest if it's actually as good as it's been made out to be by people getting their hands on the console now; it's definitely something I thought of too while hearing talk of it. It's like: This all sounds good, but will it just be something exclusives really use, will other games use it as well as what this prepackaged platformer that's ostensibly a showcase for what the PS5's controller can do? But if Sony still has the kind of lead they had during the PS4 and XboxONE generation they're going to be the lead platform for everything, (outside of game's first released on PC or Switch) and if they're still the lead platform it'll probably show up more than not. Part of what probably killed pressure sensitive buttons for the PS4 was the PS3 not being the lead platform for anything but exclusives because the system was so hard to developer for, and that's on top of being outsold by the 360 for most of its lifespan.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Might end up being just another gimmick like the PS3 motion controls or the PS4 touch pad. Both of which had retarded implementation at launch and then were promptly ignored.

Venser

Erudite
The touchpad is really shit at being a touchpad. I played an interactive movie Erica and the touchpad sucked so hard I ended up installing application on my phone to use it as a controller instead.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Lots of bad PR for MS and the series s.

First there is the news that the console can only run watchdogs legion at a variable resolution between 900p and 1080p and at 30fps, which when added to similar news about yakuza and DMC running poorly on the series s, looks bad for the MS line of "same performance but at 1440p"

Then there is the user who has received his console early and is posting impressions and screens on reddit. Including the usable space on the SSD... 360GB. In an age where CoD is 200, that's not nearly enough.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I wonder if any games are gonna run 1440/60 on it, lel. What a piece of shit machine if games got lower settings on it than on One X.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom