Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
What is wrong with me?
I am making a prototype (wizardry clone) game and the simplest method is using keys for input like in roguelike games.
So you press F for fight, D for Defend etc.
But now I have to program mouse handling because it is much easier to click on the 'Fight' text for me as a user.
:facepalm: :going crazy:
:shredder:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
What is wrong with me?
I am making a prototype (wizardry clone) game and the simplest method is using keys for input like in roguelike games.
But now I have to program mouse handling because it is much easier to click on the 'Fight' text for me as a user.
:facepalm: :going crazy:
:shredder:
Leave the keyboard-only option as something players can use. I'd definitely use it.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What is wrong with me?
But now I have to program mouse handling because it is much easier to click on the 'Fight' text for me. :facepalm: :going crazy:
Be careful, my game has full keyboard controls (in many cases both navigating through menu via arrows and shortcuts like F for fight), and also mouse (+ arrows to move) controls but I think there are all equally terrible.

Case in point, clicking on these very horizontal text buttons is very far from convenient, it really feels wrong, you want square buttons, which also means you don't want different size of buttons so possibly no different size of texts.

cw8

Cipher
Went with Godot and C#, simply for the speed of development in Godot and my familiarity with C# (Coming from a Java background, they look similar at face value).

Is Godot easy to use? I'm barely familiar with Unity and C#. I used to do C in the past but also just past the very basics. Still need to get used to OOP. Good to have Godot to fall back on in case Unity's free model goes to shit.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Went with Godot and C#, simply for the speed of development in Godot and my familiarity with C# (Coming from a Java background, they look similar at face value).

Is Godot easy to use? I'm barely familiar with Unity and C#. I used to do C in the past but also just past the very basics. Still need to get used to OOP. Good to have Godot to fall back on in case Unity's free model goes to shit.
Godot is easier than Unity, but it has fewer assets for sale, and fewer tutorials.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

Godot is easier than Unity, but it has fewer assets for sale, and fewer tutorials.

Another point, if your game makes more than $100,000 in a year (Age of Decadence easily achieved this), you must pay $400 per each computer using Unity. And if you game makes more than $200,000 in a year (again, Age of Decadence easily achieved this), you must pay $1800 per each computer using Unity.

I am just looking at the financial reports of Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats, which was made using the same engine. If they used Unity they would have lost at least $7600 PER SINGLE PERSON USING UNITY if they used Unity to make their game. So, I don't know how many devs they had working directly with their engine but that could have been ~$20,000 - $30,000 easily lost.

Godot is totally free and you don't have to worry about this stuff.

cw8

Cipher

I'll continue with Unity for now and let Godot pick up steam with its community. Asset wise I'm into non-organic 3D modelling, so I can make my own assets that doesn't involve characters but will have to source for 2D art, music and sound.

Another point, if your game makes more than $100,000 in a year (Age of Decadence easily achieved this), you must pay $400 per each computer using Unity. And if you game makes more than $200,000 in a year (again, Age of Decadence easily achieved this), you must pay $1800 per each computer using Unity.

I am just looking at the financial reports of Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats, which was made using the same engine. If they used Unity they would have lost at least $7600 PER SINGLE PERSON USING UNITY if they used Unity to make their game. So, I don't know how many devs they had working directly with their engine but that could have been ~$20,000 - $30,000 easily lost.

Godot is totally free and you don't have to worry about this stuff.

Doubt I can actually come out with a finished game anytime soon or ever. Even if I did, I would be considered lucky to have sold 2 copies considering the saturation of indie game titles on Steam. So I don't think I have worry about their % cut for now. But good point to note for aspiring developers.

Reinar

Scholar
zBSuXPF.png

For 2 years I didn't touch this attempt at a game and even before it went slower and slower. I don't have the drive and passion I used to have before I started programming every day for money. I decided to completely abandon it. I made a last build and uploaded it in case there's someone who'd want to see how it looked like. There's not much to it. Day/night cycle, some weather effects (press K to access debug menu), slightly bugged/unfinished combat, few spells, inventory management, one NPC with animations (a druid sprite taken from M&M 6), dialogue concept and a lot of placeholder stuff.

If anyone's interested, I can upload all the source materials. The actual code is a mess though. I was learning C# on this and my overall software design skills were pretty low back then.

Anyway, I learned a lot. It helped me to get a job. Not the one of dreams, but it's well paid and fairly easy. Now I know I don't want to program games anymore. I just want to design them (so I am back where I started in my pre-teen years). I hope I will one day have the opportunity to make use of the systems I created for this one.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer

Most indie game devs won't be making $200,000/year. Couldn't you just use the free version of Unity while you make your game and until you hit that revenue target of $100,000/year? If there is a year where you don't make 100k, you no longer need to subscribe. Also, that money is a business expense, so it should reduce the taxable income(at least here in the US).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For 2 years I didn't touch this attempt at a game and even before it went slower and slower. I don't have the drive and passion I used to have before I started programming every day for money. I decided to completely abandon it. I made a last build and uploaded it in case there's someone who'd want to see how it looked like. There's not much to it. Day/night cycle, some weather effects (press K to access debug menu), slightly bugged/unfinished combat, few spells, inventory management, one NPC with animations (a druid sprite taken from M&M 6), dialogue concept and a lot of placeholder stuff.

If anyone's interested, I can upload all the source materials. The actual code is a mess though. I was learning C# on this and my overall software design skills were pretty low back then.

Anyway, I learned a lot. It helped me to get a job. Not the one of dreams, but it's well paid and fairly easy. Now I know I don't want to program games anymore. I just want to design them (so I am back where I started in my pre-teen years). I hope I will one day have the opportunity to make use of the systems I created for this one.

What engine was this in?

Reinar

Scholar

What engine was this in?
Unity.

Reinar

Scholar

Why not sell it on the unity asset store for a low price?
I doubt it has any value, really. All GFX and SFX is taken from somewhere else and the programming isn't anything stellar. I can't see anyone building on this. A teaching example, maybe, to learn from my mistakes ("see kids, this is where your bad habits will lead you"). But if I wanted money for this I'd feel like a cheat.

Quilty

Magister

Been working on a passive sonar for my submarine game project. Currently it calculates the bearing relative to the sub and indicates it on a ring consisting of 360 lines. The user can turn a circular dial that is connected to a bearing counter in the upper left counter. The ring of bearing lines is continually updated, so the lines reset and show the contact as you turn and move around the map. My plan is to enable the user to choose which frequency they want to listen on, so that the view isn't cluttered with all currently detected signals: instead, they will be able to see only the selected frequency, e.g. that of torpedoes, ship propellers, biologics, etc.

Of course, any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the earlier video, if anyone's interested: https://youtu.be/L8Ow9mjqYtc

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
How would you guys like a pseudohistorical RPG set in ancient greece? I'm nervous about making one and getting people angry, but I also don't have the time to extend my research beyond wikipedia - I'm not some expert that has spent over a decade researching history.

I'm tempted to add in mythological creatures just so I don't get called out for all my historical inaccuracies, since I can just point about that of course it's not, there are minotaurs and hydras.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
How would you guys like a pseudohistorical RPG set in ancient greece? I'm nervous about making one and getting people angry, but I also don't have the time to extend my research beyond wikipedia - I'm not some expert that has spent over a decade researching history.

I'm tempted to add in mythological creatures just so I don't get called out for all my historical inaccuracies, since I can just point about that of course it's not, there are minotaurs and hydras.
As long as its actually Greek I don't think anyone cares. I could just be confusing Ancient Greece with a different place, but I remember being disappointed that there wasn't enough to actually build around without just making shit up.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Not topic related, but I've always enjoyed your updates (somewhat)...But what did you do to butthurt the MODS to tag you with "Shitposter"?

Zep--

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm nervous about making one and getting people angry, but I also don't have the time to extend my research beyond wikipedia - I'm not some expert that has spent over a decade researching history.

Xena was quite popular here in Greece so i doubt you'll have any issues :-P.

curds

Magister
Not topic related, but I've always enjoyed your updates (somewhat)...But what did you do to butthurt the MODS to tag you with "Shitposter"?
Have a look through his post history. Tavernking is (or at least was - I haven't seen many of his posts lately) a genuine shitposter and loves trolling the Codex. He's very good at it too, and very good at coming across like he isn't trolling (hence don't believe his lies tag).

Heapcleaner

Novice
Uh, Hello...

Me and my friend are planning to develop a sandbox RPG game next month

It's a side project for me but a full time project for my friend (who have just lost his job); I still don't know if it's going to ruin my life just like what the thread starter said, but I'm really looking forward to it (to not ruining my life)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom