Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was the swiftest kick in the nuts (*gaming wise) for this gen? 2013-2020?

user

Savant
Many kicks in the nuts lately, but F4 takes the cake. After 3 and then Vegas, there I was, waiting for Bethesda to evolve and give their newly acquired FPS-esque fallout the rpg-ness it deserved. Little did I realise of how much of a retard I was for expecting that.

Star Citizen

Learned
I don't get How F4 was a kick in the dick tho LOL. Was pretty clear after Skyrim or Fallout 3 even that Bethesda or whatever couldn't make an endearing game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gaming-wise, I haven't taken many kicks to the nuts in that timeframe (most of those came in the years before), but even I flinch a little over Underworld: Ascendant.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One that comes to mind was that deterministic spy-xcom game that I have forgotten(suppressed) the name off.

While I've heard good things about the gameplay itself, (I only played the demo, which doesn't really allow you to get a good feel for the game) Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite was a pretty swift kick in the balls in every other respect. It's a double kick in the balls too as Capcom seems to have the utterly baffling view that that particular style of fighting game can't be done with just Capcom characters, so you could have another situation like MVC2 and MVC3 where there's 11 years between games. There Tatsunoko game did come a few years before MVC3, but that was also partly made as a test from for the already in development MvC3 too.

Other than that, it's kind of hard to say, most stuff that sucks you kind of expect to suck.

Terenty

Liturgist
No kicks, on the contrary i wallowed in schadenfreude every time a bunch of senile veterans shit the bad with their gifts to humanity.

Kickstarter era was glorious.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be next in line it seems

Azdul

Magister
It was pretty great generation overall.

All franchises that could be dumbed down were dumbed down and driven to the ground long time ago. Nowadays no one tries to make "Divinity: Dark Alliance" or "Wasteland: Brotherhood of Steel".

Output from EA / Activision / Ubisoft / Sony was 'consistent' - meaning that the games were obviously terrible from the moment they were announced, so there were no major disappointments.

The minor one was Beamdog not going bankrupt fast enough. Now we need to live in the world where "enhanced editions" exist.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I finished 8 Assassin's Creed games this decade as well as Mass Effect Andromeda, I don't think any mule kicked hard enough to stop my ability to consume junk food video games.

Whilst personally I never booted the thing till 2020, the flight sim/spaceship flying game crew was SO gutted by No Man's Sky. After Elite Dangerous which was extremely promising if flawed the optimism for the genre was HUGE, and they got wrecked.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hard to say. I did want Resident Evil 2 to be like the first remake, meaning true survival horror - not third person Gears of War shit. Maybe that. MGS V being botched hurt pretty bad too.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm pretty good at ignoring upcoming games, and when they are finally out I usually evaluate other people's nuts before jumping in.

In two instances minor kicks were applied to my nuts nevertheless: Might&Magic X Legacy and Grimoire.
MMXL is probably an okay game, but it didn't really feel like a M&M game to me. Tried hard to squeeze out some fun, but ditched it after a couple of hours.
And Grimoire, its praise around here got me hyped up... Started it, crash, crash, crash, managed to run it stable, got into an encounter, enemy barks fired like a machine gun stakkato, yea thanks but I'm too old for dealing with that kind of bullshit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity - my optimism and enthusiasm for a return to BI's days from OE died on a hill.

It was for the best, hope lies in the future - not looking back.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Street Fighter V for me. I'd been following SFIV for a few years, watching most tournaments, playing on and off, etc. SFV just killed it, cold turkey. The game run like dogshit, the netcode was bad, and even on locals the game felt...bland. Joyless. And watching it was even worse. It destroyed a good chunk of the scene overnight.

Sjukob

Arcane
After experiencing Divinity: Original Sin 2 I'm never going to play anything related to Larian, not even the games they've made before DOS series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom