Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline GRIMOIRE 25% OFF SALE NOW ON AT STEAM

Unwanted

You

Unwanted
at this price it is a steal but even without the sale it is brainblastingly cheap for what it is

extremely involved games like this are usually sold at a premium due to not just the effort that is involved in the creation but also because the audience is assumed to be highly intelligent people with high wages that can splurge on their bigbrained hobbies

anyone who is into wargames and high quality simulators can attest to that and also that you are not just paying for nothing either in those cases

so seeing this game which objectively looking at it is the best crpg of all time at this price is like walking into a dime store and finding a military grade tank simulator just sitting there with a price tag slapped on marking it at under ten bucks

its as if you are robbing cleve every time you buy it and this game is an investment - buy this and it will not just take your dedicated gaming time away, it will also make you unable to enjoy another rpg again due to the rest of them being so inferior and thus save money

just be careful if you are a married man as divorces are costly and you might put this game before your wife and children if you dont keep it locked up in a strongbox in your attic or cellar, so I recommend getting one of the versions below - so it doesn't sit in your steam library and tempt you every time you boot up your computer, making you reenact the shadow out of time and losing years of your life

https://www.gog.com/game/grimoire_heralds_of_the_winged_exemplar
(no sale yet)

https://cleveblakemore.itch.io/grimoire-heralds-of-the-winged-exemplar
(25% off)

buy it now buckaroos - while you still can - before the 5g mutants and butt drilling conga lines keep you from enjoying it

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Can't believe I never got around to buying this. This oversight has now been rectified. Purchased and installed. Now give me a couple years and I'll get round to actually playing it.

iqzulk

Augur
Some time ago I wrote a summary of my impressions over Grimoire here, and that summary had a continuation over the PM conversation, I haven't published it anywhere and do currently think it is somewhat of a waste. I'll quote parts of both my initial post and its continuation here for posterity.

Part of the initial post:
I will offer my personal interpretation of what I have experienced in Grimoire so far, for no other reason, than to try to make it apparent, that your image of what this game should be, whatever that image might actually be, is not the only possible one. Power progression in Grimoire, in my opinion, is almost entirely ability-driven, and those abilities are primarily unlocked NOT through leveling, but via items (or, in some cases, as unlocks at specific places on specific maps, which is almost the same as finding an item there) the majority of which also have certain plot-related uses. A lot of times, this game feels almost like metroidvania (yes, that "term" is cringeworthy, but I hope that the meaning, nevertheless, gets through). Each, well, not each, but a lot - and certainly a lot of the *Critical* ones - item is designed in such a specific way, so that after finding it, you, meaning either your party as a whole or maybe just a single specific character in it, are able to do something, something specific, you weren't able to do before. After each such an item, the rules of the game, as a whole, or rather the very way you perceive them, bend slightly - but noticeably. With every item that matters, the game itself, the essence of the very process of playing the game, morphs in small, but very definite bits. And the best part of it is, that it morphs in completely unpredictable ways. Meaning, that you don't, really don't, have the foggiest idea about how you would play the game after the next 3-5 hours (other than "100% maps using Detect Secrets" maybe), because you just don't know what you'll find in the next 3-5 hours, and you definitely don't know, how and in what ways will that something change the very, ahem, I think that's called "gameplay loop" or something? And you just know, that you'll find something, that you won't be able to predict, what you'll find, and that it'll change your playstyle in some definite - and completely unforeseen - way. Because the entirety of the game BEFORE this very, current, moment, worked exactly like that. The gameworld is DELIBERATELY designed as being nonsensical, "anything goes". The items and abilities are DELIBERATELY designed to be overpowered. The combat is DELIBERATELY "Oneshot or be oneshotted" sometimes. Because, ultimately, this is a game about omnipotence, about the illusion it - about the world constantly finding new ways to remind you, that you are not - and about you finding the way to patch those weaknesses up - and finding the way to pull through something you haven't been able to pull through before. That, I think, sums up my own impressions about what this game, the portion of it I have actually seen, could be all about.
And I will repeat. I voiced my opinion regarding this game not in order to make anyone think that I am unconditionally right about it, and you all should just agree with me. I voiced my opinion in order to make it apparent that I have the right to have and express my own opinion about, in particular, this very game - and that that opinion can very well mismatch yours. And even if I'm missing something, or misinterpreting something, or I am just plain mistaken or even deluded, you spotting it doesn't mean YOU are not missing something else, YOU are not misinterpreting something else, YOU are not mistaken, and YOU are not deluded, whoever you, reader, might be.

Continuation:
...toy as opposed to a game... I think Grimoire deliberately frames itself as a toy.., moreover, it's a different toy after each major critical item and each major development update. It more or less deliberately brings to the forefront the very way you imagine yourself interacting with this game. It is neither Wizardry 7.5, nor "le oldeskoole RPG", nor "Metroidvania". It's un-everything. Its identity is that of something that has as little identity as possible, an almost perfect shapeshifter. There is no Grimoire in itself. There is Grimoire 1.0.0.1 and Grimoire 1.0.0.22. There is Grimoire in Aquavia and Grimoire in that part in the vicinity of Zephyr Isles or whatever. Its claim for being unique comes from its attempt to be made completely and utterly uncharactarizable, since characterization is an act of comparison, and it doesn't really work all that well, when you are constantly reminded of completely different things with each new location and each new update (and utterly stopped being reminded of the things you were once reminded of). Its only point seems to me to be that however you might imagine that game to play out being at any part of it (prior to playing the game included), has nothing to do with the parts of the game you haven't seen yet (future updates included). I'd say that it's less of a toy and less of a game and much more of some endless postmodernist performance by you know who.
It's INCONSISTENT, that's the word. Seemingly deliberately inconsistent on a very fundamental level. Not the content one, the medium one.
At least, that's my current take on it.

Conclusion:
Prancing through the world of cheese.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Some time ago I wrote a summary of my impressions over Grimoire here, and that summary had a continuation over the PM conversation, I haven't published it anywhere and do currently think it is somewhat of a waste. I'll quote parts of both my initial post and its continuation here for posterity.

I will offer my personal interpretation of what I have experienced in Grimoire so far, for no other reason, than to try to make it apparent, that your image of what this game should be, whatever that image might actually be, is not the only possible one. Power progression in Grimoire, in my opinion, is almost entirely ability-driven, and those abilities are primarily unlocked NOT through leveling, but via items (or, in some cases, as unlocks at specific places on specific maps, which is almost the same as finding an item there) the majority of which also have certain plot-related uses. A lot of times, this game feels almost like metroidvania (yes, that "term" is cringeworthy, but I hope that the meaning, nevertheless, gets through). Each, well, not each, but a lot - and certainly a lot of the *Critical* ones - item is designed in such a specific way, so that after finding it, you, meaning either your party as a whole or maybe just a single specific character in it, are able to do something, something specific, you weren't able to do before. After each such an item, the rules of the game, as a whole, or rather the very way you perceive them, bend slightly - but noticeably. With every item that matters, the game itself, the essence of the very process of playing the game, morphs in small, but very definite bits. And the best part of it is, that it morphs in completely unpredictable ways. Meaning, that you don't, really don't, have the foggiest idea about how you would play the game after the next 3-5 hours (other than "100% maps using Detect Secrets" maybe), because you just don't know what you'll find in the next 3-5 hours, and you definitely don't know, how and in what ways will that something change the very, ahem, I think that's called "gameplay loop" or something? And you just know, that you'll find something, that you won't be able to predict, what you'll find, and that it'll change your playstyle in some definite - and completely unforeseen - way. Because the entirety of the game BEFORE this very, current, moment, worked exactly like that. The gameworld is DELIBERATELY designed as being nonsensical, "anything goes". The items and abilities are DELIBERATELY designed to be overpowered. The combat is DELIBERATELY "Oneshot or be oneshotted" sometimes. Because, ultimately, this is a game about omnipotence, about the illusion it - about the world constantly finding new ways to remind you, that you are not - and about you finding the way to patch those weaknesses up - and finding the way to pull through something you haven't been able to pull through before. That, I think, sums up my own impressions about what this game, the portion of it I have actually seen, could be all about.
And I will repeat. I voiced my opinion regarding this game not in order to make anyone think that I am unconditionally right about it, and you all should just agree with me. I voiced my opinion in order to make it apparent that I have the right to have and express my own opinion about, in particular, this very game - and that that opinion can very well mismatch yours. And even if I'm missing something, or misinterpreting something, or I am just plain mistaken or even deluded, you spotting it doesn't mean YOU are not missing something else, YOU are not misinterpreting something else, YOU are not mistaken, and YOU are not deluded, whoever you, reader, might be.

Continuation:
...toy as opposed to a game... I think Grimoire deliberately frames itself as a toy.., moreover, it's a different toy after each major critical item and each major development update. It more or less deliberately brings to the forefront the very way you imagine yourself interacting with this game. It is neither Wizardry 7.5, nor "le oldeskoole RPG", nor "Metroidvania". It's un-everything. Its identity is that of something that has as little identity as possible, an almost perfect shapeshifter. There is no Grimoire in itself. There is Grimoire 1.0.0.1 and Grimoire 1.0.0.22. There is Grimoire in Aquavia and Grimoire in that part in the vicinity of Zephyr Isles or whatever. Its claim for being unique comes from its attempt to be made completely and utterly uncharactarizable, since characterization is an act of comparison, and it doesn't really work all that well, when you are constantly reminded of completely different things with each new location and each new update (and utterly stopped being reminded of the things you were once reminded of). Its only point seems to me to be that however you might imagine that game to play out being at any part of it (prior to playing the game included), has nothing to do with the parts of the game you haven't seen yet (future updates included). I'd say that it's less of a toy and less of a game and much more of some endless postmodernist performance by you know who.
It's INCONSISTENT, that's the word. Seemingly deliberately inconsistent on a very fundamental level. Not the content one, the medium one.

Conclusion:

Remind me to never ask your opinion on anything.

iqzulk

Augur

Continuation:

Conclusion:
Expanding Cybermage into open, Grimoire is everything but Wizardry 8 expanding Cybermage into open, and neither it is also Cybermage, being neither or not.
Whatever is now obligatory.
You see there does pathology exist.
Described is simply abnormal.
Abnormal is the grudge against Wizardry 8 after a functional beta.
And moreover the grudge against a game having done no offence.
Wizardry was simply being a sequel, Cybermage was simply being an endeavour, Grimoire simply having a say hey looking coy.
End of part 3.
Nevermind.

Nevermind that nevermind.

Wizardry 8 was looking coy start of the Arnika.
Cybermage was looking coy at the joke of the box.

By that collected standard, Grimoire is looking coy at that stall you can't enter, in city, underground market, occult stuff, yeaah real stuff, you see that is a kind of "good advise" through that coy.
What if one would just offer that kind of woman selling useless weird shit noone would buy moreover wrangling a group yeah just take me upriver.
Yeah well, author didn't that's one being coy in this case.

Wouldn't be there to offer the game that way.

Again, through accusing Cybermage and Wizardry 8 of coy author of Grimoire gives "good advise" to ask Teema / neoReaper for favor.
A change of strata that is so to say, or maybe rather an aggregate state.

Nevermind.

P.S. Acid. Concentrated. That's where that person is taken. Then liquified absolutely, belongings to boot.

FriendlyMerchant

I already got a 100% discount. A much better deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom