Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Calcium

Educated
Also fuck that Six nigger. He's basically the equivalent of a Sonic OC fedora fanfic. Him and Ezra are Styg's self inserts.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I my current run I finally unlocked two best dialogues in Expedition: Yngwar and Ferryman.

Yngwar is basically a loredump dispenser about Sormibaeren ways of life. But the fact that he and PC don't speak the same language makes it marvelous. From a narrative standpoint it's just brilliant a decision. Can you imagine a dialogue like this in any 3D RPG, with cutscenes and voice acting? No.

And Ferryman, his discourse about philosophy. Jeebus, that's some serious shit over there, although it heavily borrows from the Samsara concept.

And both of this dialogues are hidden behind the INT requirement, and INT is not the most useful stat in Underrail. It's like "we have two really cool dialogues, but to trigger them you need a character with a high INT score or you will miss them completely". The lost art of subtlety, folks.

Guys help, I am very fond of this game and after very long time I would like to get back to it and hopefully finish it.

My last build (stealthy crossbower) hit a wall in Deep Caverns and I seemed to not be able to proceed, even with cheesing and using all the tricks like traps etc. It seemed like I was done and my build was just not enough for this. I have been min-maxing as much as possible but still the enemies were far more dangerous and far more plentiful in Deep Cavern. Carnifex was the biggest challenge up to that point.

Question: Is it possible to fuck yourself in terms of what character you develop?

ciox

Liturgist
Guys help, I am very fond of this game and after very long time I would like to get back to it and hopefully finish it.

My last build (stealthy crossbower) hit a wall in Deep Caverns and I seemed to not be able to proceed, even with cheesing and using all the tricks like traps etc. It seemed like I was done and my build was just not enough for this. I have been min-maxing as much as possible but still the enemies were far more dangerous and far more plentiful in Deep Cavern. Carnifex was the biggest challenge up to that point.

Question: Is it possible to fuck yourself in terms of what character you develop?

Weird, you shouldn't have any trouble with the basic enemies, they're lightly armored and very vulnerable to the crossbow. Mostly avoidable too given how the Eye of Tchort debuff works.
The exceptions are Industrial Bots and the last boss, for these the crossbow and its associated abilities don't do enough damage and go on cooldown long before the fight is over.
The only solution is to try to get as many elemental bolt critical hits as possible with a Cyclon which might be hard to pivot to if you don't have access to the right components and gear.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
What enemies give you the biggest problems?

Black Angel

Arcane
Yngwar is basically a loredump dispenser about Sormibaeren ways of life. But the fact that he and PC don't speak the same language makes it marvelous. From a narrative standpoint it's just brilliant a decision. Can you imagine a dialogue like this in any 3D RPG, with cutscenes and voice acting? No.
Dialogue with Christine in New Vegas's Dead Money, using a char with high INT (or was it speech or both? Couldn't exactly remember) is close enough. Although, I vaguely remembered the gestures Christine made were the exact same as any other NPCs, and Obsidian had to rely on the dialogue to convey what she's trying to say.

what diff are you playing?

Normal, Oddity

Weird, you shouldn't have any trouble with the basic enemies, they're lightly armored and very vulnerable to the crossbow. Mostly avoidable too given how the Eye of Tchort debuff works.
The exceptions are Industrial Bots and the last boss, for these the crossbow and its associated abilities don't do enough damage and go on cooldown long before the fight is over.
The only solution is to try to get as many elemental bolt critical hits as possible with a Cyclon which might be hard to pivot to if you don't have access to the right components and gear.

Kind of a been there, done that.

What enemies give you the biggest problems?

Faceless and the mushroom enemies.

Unfortunately I just checked - disregard the talk about my previous character because my savegames got corrupted. I will go for a pure psi character this time.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Faceless and the mushroom enemies.

Unfortunately I just checked - disregard the talk about my previous character because my savegames got corrupted. I will go for a pure psi character this time.
Don't skimp out on Thought Control. Buffed-up Neural Overload with some critical modification works wonders against Tchort.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Back when you did your level 1 playthrough and set his difficulty balancing sense on the right track. :D

Ahaha, I didn't think someone remember this. And looks like I didn't like grenades from the start. :lol:
I think Styg could write more honestly - Wyatt's texts are so good in my opinion.

- Problem with grenades is that throwing them precisely where you want is too easy, expect that to change in the future.

I'm sure something was done, but not enough. ))

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Feats typically personalize your character in other rpgs, but in Underrail what defines your character is your main attribute and the skills you choose to focus on.

Stats do a little for build - the real utility coms form feats.

- The game is sort of in a bad spot of not being plot driven, but not having enough diverse content to being a true sandbox either. There's places to explore and quests in those places, but not much else.

Kinda agree, but what this "much else" could be?

If you find dominating easy on this build, you either use liberal amount of traps, or

...massaging save/load buttons...

I did Lunatic Mall around lvl 8

How you got to it at lvl 8?

question: for an energy build, it's better to raise INT or PER?

Consider that if you will raise Int you will have skill point problems no more, ever, reasonably speaking.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Consider that if you will raise Int you will have skill point problems no more, ever, reasonably speaking.
I didn't have any skillpoint problems even with 8 INT - and had some to spare. Thing is, the amount of SP you can invest into skills is strictly limited, therefore there is no need to save on SP with INT related skills because you can't invest them into the needed skills. It may save some hassle in the early game, but largely irrelevant later.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Hey, what's a good build for a thought controller?
3KJAKy3.png

This is the first draft of my second try at a TC/MT Psientist build I plan to run sometime after I'm down with my current Shadowman Build. Really whatever gets you access to Premeditation and Locus of Control, bunching up a group of goons and setting them against eachother with a LoC'ed Enrage or Bilocation was the highlight of the build when I ran it the first time. The Cryokinetic side of Metathermics plays really well with Thought Control, and Chem Pistols just ad another layer of crowd control to the repertoire. And then there's energy weapons for when you just need to kill things outright.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
therefore there is no need to save on SP with INT related skills because you can't invest them into the needed skills.

I don;t understand you. At the time you have much more skill points than usual, thus you flex them more freely. That's obvious whne you play that build.
There are many skills you could want to put in your skill points.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm currently finishing my big brain epistol run on Dominating (17 INT) and my lasgun usually crits for around 1000 damage. Taking Hypercerebrix boosts it by ~100 more. I don't think I even put any spec points into Critical Power.
I had 8 INT and 14 PER build, I didn't roll INT so hard.

Although, the question: for an energy build, it's better to raise INT or PER? I went with PER as it raises the damage, hit chance and detection, while INT raises only damage and INT related skills.
I used cheat engine at level 18, and had fun with non optimized character.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Lunatic Mall at lvl 8? What is this sorcery?
Slowly, with a lot of restealthing, and using imprint at choke points. And knives are great against Lunatics. It's the high point of the game for me.

I did Lunatic Mall around lvl 8
How you got to it at lvl 8?
I was looking for Rail Crossing after Depot A and ended up in Core City first. Playing on oddity.
Kinda agree, but what this "much else" could be?
Sort of the stuff you could do in a real sandbox like Arcanum. Build an army of automatons, mind control every female character in the game to create a harem of disposable assassin whores, create a legitimate economy, etc... Even Fallout 2 you could play the entire game as a slaver, etc...

Last edited:

madhouse

This game is really good.
I'm playing with the oddity system. I made a thief character with massive stat dumps in DEX, PER and AGY. My weapon of choice is crossbow. I already fucked up a little when levelling by putting a little bit in throwing for grenades, my intention being to ambush larger groups with AOE damage, and something like 20 in mechanics thinking I could craft things like explosives and special bolts. I quickly realized that special bolts already have a similar function to grenades and that crafting things also requires additional points in chemistry and tailoring. At this point I'm purely advancing thief skills. With some luck and planning I can wipe big groups with explosives and careful traps. Aimed shot is really good for individual targets. I don't know how good is crossbow looking late game seeing how most pistols absolutely mog the dmg output, but I plan to stick with my flawed shithouse of a character.
tl;dr its a very good :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Scrounger

Educated
Few times but nothing too special. Once, I've used it to check for patrolling guard at Talloski manor after going down the stairs from the old man.
I didn't had any stealth so that was useful in a small way...
Also, I wanted to check what was behind that one door in the docks (which cannot be open) and two others in the Junkyard alley... (didn't check yet!)
Everything else was LARP-ing - spy things and such

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom