Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What's the worst non-RPG sequel ever?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Painkiller: Overdose comes to mind, although it's considered a stand-alone expansion so maybe it doesn't count. Still, it was the next big release in the series and it just sucked beyond repair.

curds

Magister
Never played it but Duke Nukem Forever's reputation precedes it.
I don't hate Quake II as much as some but it was an obvious decline from the first game and fairly shit IMO.

Ash

Arcane
Clear Contenders:

Duke Nukem Forever
Unreal 2
Turok (reboot)
Resident Evil 6
Ninja Gaiden 3
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5
Tomb Raider: Legend
Thief 4

I wouldn't include DMC2 because while it's pretty damn bad at least it's bad in a lazy way and still plays like a game somewhere in there, rather than a "this game is made for retards, by retards and/or sellouts" way. All of the above meet that criteria.
Same with Blood 2. The devs ran into financial issues and the publisher forced it out the door which caused its downfall so I don't count it. It wasn't insultingly and soullessly designed and released as a retard game. But this is just my criteria.

Personal Contenders:

GTA 5. I hate everything about it. I consider it a brainless game with zero substance, try-hard and pandering. Would be hard to argue it's the "worst sequel of all time" though.
Hitman Absolution

I could keep going but am bored now. Also people saying Quake 2 lol.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another thread inspired me....
The answer is Devil May Cry 2.
Devil May Cry 2 is pretty goddamn terrible. Although it's almost peculiar how it's terrible just from design/gameplay alone - even when it functions and the story/graphics are fine.

Edit:
Crash Mind over Mutant..
Fear 3
I guess Sonic 06
Mega Man X7

Edit x2: lol Marvel Infinite. That game plays fine and that's the most important thing.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
In before DraQ and Unreal 2...damn, too late...

Personally I rather enjoyed Unreal 2, Invisible War (but then I liked any FPS back then) and even (modded) Oblivion.

So my nomination would be The Citadel, the real time unplayable clusterfuck sequel to Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge that was relased instead of the never finished turn based Eye of the Moon.

Corvinus

Arcane
Painkiller: Overdose comes to mind...

It was terrible, but the worst of all time? There are lots of good answers here and I think it is difficult to pick a specific one.

I'll go with Fallout3, though! Wait you say, that is still an RPG. To which I reply - IS IT?

Farewell into the night

I don't know which one is the worst, but personally I didn't liked Max Payne 3 and The Sims 4 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom